Sara's reading

SaraPepparkaka

I finished "Well of Shades". Enjoyable fantasy, and I was just in mood for that. Now I'm not so sure what to read next. I have a new Swedish criminal novel in my shelf, but I'm not really in the mood for realistic stuff yet. Don't know if I ever am, come to think of it, I have plenty of reality in my own life, what's missing are the unicorns and fairies.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did read the Swedish criminal story, "Skumtimmen" by Johan Theorin. I saw an English title for the book, "Echos from the dead". It was an OK read I suppose, but I wasn't in the mood for it and wasn't really engaged in any of the characters. The ending was supposed to be surprising I think but I wasn't really (even if I hadn't seen it coming).

I also read "Industrial magic", Kelley Armstrong. I didn't like it AS much as I liked "Dime Store Magic", but still better than the book above.

I'm impatiently waiting for some books I ordered on the internet. There should be a Juliet Marrillier and a Sergei Lukyanenko in the package, given that I'm craving fantasy books right now.

I COULD just read Frankenstein of course. But since Trusted Local Library had a Maisie Dobbs-book (by Jaqueline Winspear) that I hadn't read, I guess I won't finish Frankenstein just now.

Hi Sara. I read both The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire. I thought the first one was superb, once I settled into the style (which is different, isn't it!) - I wondered if it was the translation. The second one is even better with further character development. I cannot wait for the third and final instalment to come out at the end of the year. I'd love to see the film, too.

I also loved The Book Thief, so will try I Am The Messenger (I didn't know there was another one of Zuzak's out there!)

I hope this finds you well. :D

Mac, there's also at least two books in a series about the Wolfe family by Markus Zusak. I have read one, "Getting the Girl"- and that may be the best one of Markus Zusak's books I've read so far. It's YA- but apparently so was "The Book Thief".

I have an advantage here- the third book in the Dragon Tattoo Girl- series is out already in Swedish.

I have an advantage here- the third book in the Dragon Tattoo Girl- series is out already in Swedish.

Gah! I can barely wait for it to come out here! I wish I could speak Swedish...:readingtwo:

So, I'd LIKE to tell you that I've finally finished Frankenstein, but I'd be lying. I did read a little of it.

Instead, I read that Maisie Dobbs, "Pardonable Lies". I read Sookie Stackhouse "From Dead to Worse" (by Charlaine Harris), and I read "Emotional Geology" by Linda Gillard. And I'm making my way through "Star Gazing", also Linda Gillard, but as of now, I like "Emotional Geology" better. I'm thinking Linda Gillard would do well in Finland, she understands about things that aren't said, that are left unspoken.

Now that's what a weekend without kids does. AND we had guests AND we worked some on Project Summerhouse.

Thanks, SaraPepparkaka, for your kind words about my books. :lol:

I wonder if you've got to the part in STAR GAZING yet where Rautavaara's CANTUS ARCTICUS makes an appearance? I do feel a Finnish connection. Perhaps it's something to do with having lived in the far north of Scotland.

I don't know if you know about BookCrossing.com but because of this Finnish connection there's a copy of STAR GAZING travelling around Finland in a book ring. (Anyone can sign up for it if they join the wonderful BookCrossing.)

The kind BookCrosser to whom I sent a copy of STAR GAZING sent me a book about Finland in exchange. This beautiful country is now on my "Must Visit" list and I'm dreaming of a Finnish edition of SG! :readingtwo:

I have never been to Scotland, but the people seem to be somewhat alike in Finland and Scotland, booze and all.

And I confess to never have heard Cantus Arcticus. But I DID finish "Star Gazing" yesterday, and I loved it- but I still say "Emotional Geology" was my favourite of the two.

I have had some time to think about why I like "Emotional Geology" as well, and I think that "Star Gazing" comes too close to one of my nightmares, what with having a husband who travels in his work. I can read about murder, mayhem and other awful things when I can keep a distance, but to some things I can't keep that distance.

I know what you mean, Sara, and I sympathise. One of my research sources for STAR GAZING was an oil wife who tried to convey to me the agony of worrying and waiting. She was also in Aberdeen when the Piper Alpha catastrophe occurred.

There are some things I will never write about. One is the death of a child older than a baby. I couldn't do it. Both my children are adult now, but I just couldn't bear to go to that place in my head. I just don't know how Jodi Picoult lives with all that agony.

I also have a superstitious fear that what I write might actually happen. (That's a common fear with writers and many authors have the experience of making something up and then it happens. It's also quite common for authors to invent characters and then you meet them. No kidding!)

You know when Mulder used to say, "The truth is out there, Scully"? Well, I think the stories are out there. Authors just channel them. :)

Mac, just so you know: I bought the two books in the Stieg Larsson- trilogy today. I started "The Girls Who Played With Fire" today, and I have now read about 200 pages. I really haven't read much since Monday, not until I started this one. I couldn't decide what to read, I didn't have any time, I couldn't concentrate..

But tonight I laid on a blanket under my apple tree and enjoyed the summer by reading about gruesome murders.

Nice! I think The Girl Who Played With Fire is even better than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Sounds like the perfect way to spend the summer - but watch out for the wasps!:blush:

I loved 'Frankenstein' when I read it. It's one of those novels that you think you know before you read it, and then realise you really didn't and it therefore offers a fascinating read. :)

Another one that did that to me was 'Dracula'.

I've read a weird book. Well written, but weird. It started when I tried that webpage someone wrote about in a message around here somewhere, where you could set some criteria and based on that get some book recommendations. Well, a Finnish author I never had read before showed up, and the book actually seemed interesting, so away to the Trusted Local Library I went. The book was "Not before sundown" (Ennen p