What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

I always turn away from Jeffrey Archer. Too much perjury and missing millions in charity donations for my liking. Also anything by Jordan, Kerry, etc,etc. Why people would want to make these people, of very limited talent, richer and more famous is beyond me.

:roll: I refuse to add to these peoples bank balances, they`ve pretty much done nothing to earn their "celebrity" status, as far as I`m concerned anyway!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stay as far away as possible from horror/ ghost/ vampire stories (and films). The simple idea gives me the creeps, never saw the appeal of them!

I'm the same. I'm too easily creeped out.

Also anything by Jordan, Kerry, etc,etc. Why people would want to make these people, of very limited talent, richer and more famous is beyond me.

Yep, won't read these either.

Great question. Those 'misery memoirs'... no, no, no. I just don't get the appeal!

I'm sorry, I just can't stand these books. I know people have suffered horrendously but there is only so many of these books one can read before it gets a bit repetitive and depressing

I've never seen an interview with Pratchett and never actually shared sniggers with fellow readers over his jokes, but the guile the man has in spinning a yarn that is not merely entertaining but also has something to say is miraculous. Definitely check out 'Mort' and 'Soul music' before its too late!

GWA

I don't think I could really ever rule reading anything out. There are books I'm currently not interested in reading, such as romantic fiction - Mills & Boon or perhaps even Catherine Cookson, nor am I that bothered about reading the current best sellers or autobiographies/biographies about the latest 'in person' but that might not always be the case. Sometimes it's nice to break out of the mould and try something different.

I've got a really big list of books I want to read which I've compiled from various places - book forums (such as this), online reading groups and Librarything to name but a few. Some of the books I've read as a result have been ones I wouldn't have given a second glance to - and I've actually enjoyed most of them, probably all the more so because I wouldn't normally have picked that particular book up.

• 2 weeks later...

Autobiographies, pointless waste of trees.

Those real life memoir things? Where a woman was molested?! I know it's all very sad but when 65 women have wrote about it, it all gets a bit much? Also Danielle Steel - her books are pointless. Roald Dahl <.< would never read.

Edited by Kell
Took out capitalisation on every word.

For me, any of the Dan Brown books. He got soooooo much hype & everyone seemed to jump on the Dan Brown bandwagon & become obsessed with reading about the Knights Templar - they even do tours in Paris based around his book. A few people have suggested that I would enjoy the books, but I shall avoid them at all cost, I don't want to add to Mr. Brown's pockets. The Da Vinci Code was a work of fiction & too many people are taking it as gospel.

For me, any of the Dan Brown books. He got soooooo much hype & everyone seemed to jump on the Dan Brown bandwagon & become obsessed with reading about the Knights Templar - they even do tours in Paris based around his book. A few people have suggested that I would enjoy the books, but I shall avoid them at all cost, I don't want to add to Mr. Brown's pockets. The Da Vinci Code was a work of fiction & too many people are taking it as gospel.

My thoughts exactly! *laughs*

I know and I totally agree... It irks me so much when people refuse to read... *looks around for a random example*... Harry Potter, because "it just has to be a commercial scam to get so much attention". :) Though I guess I'm biased on that one... like so many others *laughs*

I think the only books that I actively avoid are the romances that have the half-naked men and women on the cover, like the Harlequin romance series. Mainly because they all seem like they would be the same thing over and over, and pretty boring to boot.

I read 2 of Dan Brown's books before all the attention, but that's only because I love reading about art, no matter what context. I do know that I enjoyed Angels & Demons much more, but I found both of them very interesting.

Someday I'll read Harry Potter, LOTR and the Twilight series. I don't want to rule them out though because they sound like something I might enjoy, despite all the hype.

I like to think I have an open mind so would not rule anything out completely. However I wont be going out of my way to read war stories, or horror, (or any unbelieveable sci fi stuff).

I want what I read to move me, uplift me, maybe even change me, not give me nightmares.

• 2 weeks later...

I refuse to read Sci Fi, Fantasy, books written is certain time period, Westerns (cowboy type stuff).

Scarlet Letter, War & Peace, and Anna Karenina are three books I own right now that I am refusing to read. Scarlet Letter seems boring, and I hate what Leo Tolstoy does with character.

I refuse to read Sci Fi, Fantasy, books written is certain time period, Westerns (cowboy type stuff).

Scarlet Letter, War & Peace, and Anna Karenina are three books I own right now that I am refusing to read. Scarlet Letter seems boring, and I hate what Leo Tolstoy does with character.

What on Earth do you mean by that?

well.. i am stubbornly refusing to read Twilight! good grief, everyone is reading it.. people who normally wouldn't touch anything with a vampire in it are reading it, in fact i can remember a couple who laughed at my reading Anne Rice (vampires? you have to be kidding!) are reading it.. people who normally wouldn't read a romance are reading it with pleasure.. mature age women are reading it, isn't it written for young adults?

each time i pick it up, i am put off by the words 'teen' and 'romance' ! (nothing wrong with either of course, it's just not for me) and the bits i have skimmed in the shop are either sheer lust, or teen angst..

i think i can avoid it.. :)

I'm kinda the same with Twilight - I'm convinced that it's more to do with a)marketing and b)reading it because everyone else is. I also read SO many bad reviews of the last one in the series, and I don't want to give my time to a series, just to be let down at the end!

Don't read it.

It will suck you in and devour your soul, and when you finish book 4 you will want to go around to Stephanie Meyer's house and hit her in the head with it.

I love the books, and I read them after seeing the trailer for the movie (I love vampires, I adore Ann Rice and Buffy and blah blah blah.)

But they are horrendously written. Most of the characters are underdeveloped or just plain annoying, and book 4... my god. Book 4 just goes off the wall entirely.

Its written for young adults. I'm 21, and I was reading this thinking, '14 year olds should be scared by this material.'