Sewing

Icecream

Does anyone know a good book that will teach me to sew? I am not very good. Anyhting I did learn at school (not much) I have forgotten.I just want to do some basic stitching first, as well as learning how to start and finish properly, so that I can sew bits of cloth together to make fun things for the children or repair clothes. I can hand sew for those things, which is what I want to learn. If I progress any further then I might purchase and learn to use a machine, but stitching by hand is good enough for now, and if it teaches me to cut cloth properly (i.e straight and without fraying) that would be great. I was lucky that the cloth I used for Katie's pirate costume was easy to cut.

Does anyone know a good book that will teach me to sew? I am not very good. Anyhting I did learn at school (not much) I have forgotten.I just want to do some basic stitching first, as well as learning how to start and finish properly, so that I can sew bits of cloth together to make fun things for the children or repair clothes. I can hand sew for those things, which is what I want to learn. If I progress any further then I might purchase and learn to use a machine, but stitching by hand is good enough for now, and if it teaches me to cut cloth properly (i.e straight and without fraying) that would be great. I was lucky that the cloth I used for Katie's pirate costume was easy to cut.

There are loads of books Emma, but for such a beginner as you, a class to learn to sew would be better, or if you can't stretch to that, I am sure there are some on line tutorials, there are for painting so I am sure there will be some for sewing as well. Good luck.

Emma, Singer and Simplicity have a range of very good books, assuming that you mean machine sewing. You will need to arm yourself with a basic book that will show you various seams, construction of darts, zip insertion and various other techniques. Basic patterns that are easiest to use would include the Simplicity 2 hr range- all patterns have a guide on how to construct their clothes. Basic rule as a beginner is to choose simple designs and good good selection of fabric. If you have any questions at all please feel free to send me a PM as I am an experienced seamstress with many years of experience. Once you get the hang of it the sky's your ceiling!

You can pick up machines for around £100 and are worth every penny! At the very least you need one that can do button-holes in 2-3 stages. Even better if you have one that is an automatic one - these are a great boon - I'd be lost without mine, Try looking on Amazon for a basic instruction book - they have loads. A couple of websites to try for techniques would be :- www.isew.co.uk and threads magazine. Both of these are for the more advanced sewer but do give good advice, guidance and how-to's

Making your own clothes is so satisfying. I made my own wedding dress and the kids Christening gown so I saved loads of money and each piece was unique. Over the years I have made loads of clothes and I am fortunate to own an embroidery machine so this is put to good use making presents.

Edited by Angel

• 1 month later...

I don't know about books for complete beginners, I think you're better off going for a class for that but when you do start sewing I recommend the Reader's Digest Complete Guide To Sewing as a reference book.

It's quite big and heavy but it's one of those books you'll always go back to if you keep sewing.

Singer does a whole range of sewing books that are excellent for beginners and for those who want to improve / learn new skills and who have more advanced skills. Many of their books are smaller but full of advice. Easily available at Amazon. Also I have a computerised sewing / embroidery Janome machine (memorycraft 9000) so I go to the Janome site - all major makes have their own websites for advice, ideas, problem shooting