Finishing a book... starting a new one

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go from one book to the next, sometimes literally finish one and pick up the next straight away, and this doesn't bother me in the slightest, but sometimes, if i finish late at night and it was a particularly emotional book and i want to think on it a little, then i start the next book on the following afternoon :D

I don't tend to have much of a problem. I did it today! I finished Man and Wife by Tony Parsons and went and picked up An offer you can't refuse literally the second I finished it.

Although, saying that. I do find it hard to get into the next book if the previous book was amazing and unforgettable. Like Twilight or Noughts and Crosses. I find it hard to focus on the new book otherwise!

:D

I read a few books at once usually, but of different sorts so nothing gets too dull. Like right now I'm reading Slash's autobiography, but then I want something a little less serious, so I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and then I want something less disturbing so I go read Madame Bovary.... haha.

I've generally had no choice in the matter; I've had to go straight from one book to another because of school. Ideally, however, I love to sit and reflect for a bit in between books. My favorite thing to do, actually, is to marathon read the last portion of the book so that I am completely immersed in it. Then I'll just sit and revel in the fact that I still feel a part of that world. I first did that with The Lord of the Rings, and my reverie lasted until I turned on the radio, at which time it was shattered completely. I cherish that time after finally closing a great book, and I don't like to impose on it by immediately picking up a new book if I can help it.

I usually leave a little gap in between books myself. It's usually the following day although I do sometimes start a new book the same day I finish the previous one but I don't literally close one and open a new one - there is usually a couple of hours in between.

In the reading of the final chapters of one book I will already have lined up the next one to read. Often this is based on what I need to read - sometimes from a series, sometimes a counter point book to the one I've been reading.

It's a hunger thing - I gotta keep feeding the reading beast!:D

While I could go straight from one book to another (and used to do that some years ago), these days I'd rather wait a bit and let everything settle in. Lately I have made a deal with myself not to start a new book until I have written the review for the last one (as I have this "almost worry" that the information in the new book will somehow "overwrite" the information my brain has kept from the last one; I know it's more of a fantasy than truth but it kept my decision to write things down before moving on up and running).

What I do find a bit hard (especially after reading series or long books) is letting go of the characters I've grown to love and care for and start anew with new ones, ones I know nothing about. While chances are I'll grow to love the new ones too, there is always this "awkward moment" at the beginning :D:)

I usually leave a gap of several days. Simply to digest what I've read. If a book doesn't require a rest period, it's probably one in a series, you skimmed it in order to tell friends you've finished it or it was complete bobbins :D

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!

• 1 month later...

i finished reading a book at about 8 o'clock last night, normally i would wait until the next day to start another one but Mrs Baggiesfan was watching Dancing On Ice which bores me silly so i started another book straight away which is unusual for me i was just wondering if everyone else is the same?

I like to sit down, have a fag, a cup of tea and just think about the story and then I will write a review for Amazon and Play. Then I will start another Book.

I only read one at a time. While I am unemployed I read all day if the weather stops me for going Birding or doing anything outdoors.

If not I will read at night until the other guests have settled down to sleep which is normally about 2:30am..

I usually stay up to finish one, then sleep when I'm done, then start the next book the next day, although if I finish during the day, then I just pick up the next one immediately

:)

Unless it was a really thought-provoking book and then I leave it for up to a day.

If I'm reading part of a series (i.e. Harry Potter or recently the Twilight Saga) then I can't live without contining straight on to the next book. Sometimes I've got so involved with the characters that I have to mentally switch off from them before I can pick up another book, especially if the writer of my new book has a different style of writing to what I've just been reading, that can confuse me a little and I have to re-read lines to take it in