Have you ever read a book, then seen the movie...

Ceinwenn

i'm more the sort that thinks both should be considered separately.. altho i do try to read a book before seeing the movie when i can, as i can imagine the characters and settings without having the movie dictate that to me.. altho, of course, i can never even look at a Harry Potter book without seeing the movie characters now.. same with Northen Lights (Golden Compass) and even my old Anne of Green Gables books have suffered the same fate.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS I Love You. I read the book first and was totally disappointed with the movie. I think it was because I loved the book and the film wouldn't measure up no matter what. I'm really looking forward to the Confessions of a Shopaholic film. I hope it is as good as the books because they could have some sequels on their hands.

I didn't mind the first one, it was okay. But the rest are just the same! She doesn't grow one bit. It's really annoying. It's the same store, all over again, in slightly different clothes.

I read each Lord of the Rings book just before the movie came out. Actually I think I read the 2nd and 3rd books before the 2nd movie came out, which I think was just as well, because the 2nd movie didn't leave off where the 2nd book did (? something like that).

Related to this topic: I was watching a newish episode of The Simpsons last night and they a rip-off of the Harry Potter phenomenon which had the family lining up for the last book's release and dressed up as characters from the books. Comic Book Guy turns to Lisa and patronisingly points out discrepancies between her outfit and the character's ('the griffin should be facing the other way' etc). Lisa points out that she based her outfit on the book, not the movie. Everyone starts laughing and Comic Book Guy leaves the line in disgrace. :D I thought that was terrific!

Right now the only one that comes to mind is Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook. I watched the movie several months before reading it and thought it was much more entertaining than the novel, which is usually not the case with me. I prefer to read a novel first because I don't want to be influenced too much by a film.

Right now the only one that comes to mind is Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook. I watched the movie several months before reading it and thought it was much more entertaining than the novel, which is usually not the case with me. I prefer to read a novel first because I don't want to be influenced too much by a film.
Not seen the "Notebook" or read the book

Just ordered The Notebook ( Book and DVD ) for my daughter, so I will have to read/watch of course, I've heard they are a bit of a weepy, so will watch/read when alone otherwise the kids take the p**s when I start to blub !!! :)

I read Attonment before I saw the film and found the film better than the book ( which is rare !!) Memoirs of a Geisha, I thought the book was much better than the film.

I felt the same about Nicholas Sparks' A Walk to Remember. I read the book on the strength of the film, but the book lacked the emotional impact that the film had.

On the same note, I also read the book based on Housewife 45 drama, and found it didn't keep my interest as much, but then again the Lady who wrote it never believe that it would be published to the thousands.

I preferred the ending for Neil Gaiman's Stardust, but enjoyed the film so much more. It just seemed even more magical in film.

• 2 weeks later...
War of the Worlds Have seen both films and neither of them were true representations of the book. The last one by Stephen Spielberg was a good film but unfortunately it was set in America. :welcome2:

As much as I love the 1950's version - I do like a good 'B' Movie - I would pay real money (instead of the Monopoly cash I usually use) to see a decent period adaptation of War of the Worlds.

Lord of the Rings has to rank high on my list as a decent stab at a book-to-film transfer, but the one novel I would put at the top of my list Starter For Ten, by David Nicholls.

Trying not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read or seen it, after an excellent build up the end of the book was a real let-down for me, as I felt the main character simply ran from his responsibilities. In the screenplay, which, interestingly was also written by Nicholls, I felt he corrected this mistake and gave the story a much more satisfying conclusion.

In short, watch the film, skip the book!

Well, I'll proudly admit to liking both War of the Worlds adaptations (and I love the book as well). I didn't love the sappy Hollywood ending of the remake, or the fact that it was set in America, but I could get past that and enjoy it for what it was. :welcome2:

As much as I love the 1950's version - I do like a good 'B' Movie - I would pay real money (instead of the Monopoly cash I usually use) to see a decent period adaptation of War of the Worlds.

So would I - it's such an epic, sweeping tale and it really doesn't need any changes made to it. They should just make it as is and it would be fantastic!