Lost in Austen - ITV1, 3 September, 9pm

Janet

Jemima Rooper stars as Amanda Price - the frustrated romantic who lives for reading and adores the characters in her Jane Austen books. Then one day she discovers a gateway in her flat and ends up being transported to her favourite world, the world of Pride and Prejudice. But is the “true” story in danger of being thrown off track by her presence?

More here

Having just read and really enjoyed Pride and Prejudice (and having decided to tackle the rest of Austen's novels), I'm interested to watch this, although it could go one of two ways!

My mum watches pride and prejudice about once a month (dont even start me on this.) so seeing her squirm at the ad for this was the high point of yesterday for me, maybe now she will watch one of the 4 trillion dvd's we have laying around.

Oh thank goodness you've all discussed it here otherwise it would have passed me by. Not watching BB tonight so that we can watch Lost in Austen.

Does anyone know when Little Dorrit and Tess of the D'ubervilles are being broadcast - I haven't read either and am hoping there will be enough time to read them before they are on telly - Little Dorrit is 700 pages long though - gasp!

I'm a bit torn!

I'd probably have enjoyed it more if I hadn't just read the book and loved it (and if Colin wasn't the only Mr Darcy) but then again, if I hadn't read the book the story wouldn't mean as much!

I think Jemima is doing a good job and I love the Jane and the Mr Bennet. Time will tell...

I have mixed feelings too. I don't like the main character much (Miss Price) but I think the recreated original characters are great. I love Mrs Bennett and Mr Bingley. It's a shame Elizabeth Bennett isn't in it though. I should add I only caught the tail end of it.)

I thought it was good, but not quite as good as I was expecting! I thought we might see the problems Lizzie was having in modern times, as well as the ones Amanda was having in Austen times. Maybe we will in future eps?

It was all a bit silly really, but quite enjoyable! I can't believe no-one really commented on Miss Price's clothes - wouldn't they have been outraged by a woman wearing such tight "breeches"? Or her hairstyle? Explaining everything as being all the rage in Hammersmith didn't really cut it!

I'd like more of Miss Price trying to cope with how things were done then - I enjoyed the dancing and the willow twigs for toothbrushes and her reaction made me laugh!

The guy playing Darcy wasn't too good, IMO. He was trying so hard for the "sulky" look that he just looked permanently constipated! :D But, of course he could never be Colin Firth.

All in all it was slightly disappointing, but a good hour's escapist entertainment. :006:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this second episode was better than the first. :)

I liked the bit where Amanda Price kneed Mr Collins - well deserved, I thought. :D Unfortunately, despite Amanda's best efforts, she's mucking everything up. It was sad to see Jane married off to the creep Collins. And poor Amanda's face at the mouthful Mr Darcy gave her (even going so far as to call her "Madam" to show he was really angry).

Everything's going pear-shaped, so it should be interesting next week to see if she can get things back on track!

Nope I'm still watching! It's alright I think, if you distance yourself from how good the 'real' story is.

Hubby's enjoying it (although he wouldn't admit it in public! :D ) but he doesn't know the story so he's taking it at face value as a story unfolding, rather than one unfolding incorrectly.

I love the way a lot of the characters are "wrong" (well, according to how Austen wrote them, so how Amanda was expecting them to be!), like Wickham.

I know it's not serious drama, but I found Darcy's reaction to finding the book a bit weird. Surely he would have noticed how different the book's appearance was compared to books around at the time, and found it a bit strange? Perhaps noticed the publication date (the front of the book seemed intact)? And how could Amanda have written all that about them and got it published, when she only met them all a few weeks ago? And yet he accuses her of telling all their secrets...

Also, when Darcy said he could not marry Amanda, did he say it was because she was not a maid, or not a name? It was a little indistinct.