Lending or borrowing books.

Guest Tiresias

In cases of people wanting to orrow books but I'm just not trusting that they'll get them back to me in good condition (or even at all!), I just say, very apologetically, "I'm afraid I don't loan out my books - too many went missing so now nobody gets them. I'm sure you'll understand." People tend to just accept that (thankfully!).:friends0:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't really worry me, to be honest. I don't tend to keep books for the sake of it anyway. Once I've read a book, I'd much rather pass it on for someone else to read, than have it lying around cluttering the place up.

Quite seriously, I think that is a lovely attitude to have, I cannot achieve it however. I will say this for myself though, I love to give books to true friends that I know will enjoy and appreciate them.

P.S. :shock: clutter?? :friends0::)

I only loan books that I don't love! These tend to be ones that I've bought from a charity shop and don't really feel mine in the same way as a pristine new book would and those that I wouldn't ever want to read again. That way if they don't come back I'm not worried and if they do, it's a bonus.

Having thought about the difficult situation of someone asking to borrow a book that I don't want to lose, I think I'd say that it was on loan from someone else - preferably someone that they are never likely to meet!

Of course very close family are allowed to borrow but as someone else has already said, I do ask for regular updates as to how the book is doing and they understand that creased spines are very much discouraged!

Quite a few of you have said that you won't lend, or not unless you know the person will return the book. This raises the question: What do you say to someone when they ask to borrow a book and you don't want to lend it

After a couple of books going missing I only lend to my mother and Tiger, even then they're reminded of the rules!! When I talk about books at work, I tend to be vague as to the ownersip or make out that they are from the library. Saves a lot of embarrassing nos!!!!

I only loan books that I don't love! These tend to be ones that I've bought from a charity shop and don't really feel mine in the same way as a pristine new book would and those that I wouldn't ever want to read again. That way if they don't come back I'm not worried and if they do, it's a bonus.

Having thought about the difficult situation of someone asking to borrow a book that I don't want to lose, I think I'd say that it was on loan from someone else - preferably someone that they are never likely to meet!

Of course very close family are allowed to borrow but as someone else has already said, I do ask for regular updates as to how the book is doing and they understand that creased spines are very much discouraged!

That's a great idea!

I used to lend books but they came back in such a state I would never do it again. I love my books and some have sentimental values such as what I was reading when diagnosed with MS etc

That's true, and even if the book is replaced, it isn't the same.

Guest Tiresias
That's true, and even if the book is replaced, it isn't the same.

I agree, especially if you mark your books as you read. (I actually hate people who scrawl in books

Nowadays, when I lend out my books, I tend to put them in a plastic cover (like you get on library books) which has a sticker onthe front of it with my name and addres on it, so people don't forget where they got the book in the first place. I've had a much better "return rate" since I started doing that and the books come back without coffee-cup rings on them or scuffed from being inside bags because the plastic cover protects them. I've also started putting a "book passport" into books that I loan out quite a lot, so that I can see who's had them - it's nice to be able to look back and see who borrowed what - and it means I can get a better idea of what to recommend to them next time too! :friends0:

I always think it's a bit rude to ask to borrow people's possessions. If I see a book in someone's house that looks interesting I make a mental note of the title and go and look for it at the library. I wouldn't dream of asking to borrow it.

I am very lucky to have an (almost) complete set of Agatha Christie first editions which are kept in a glass doored bookcase. People seem to think it's OK to ask to borrow those. There is no way I would lend those out! I tell them that it would invalidate the insurance. :friends0:

Nowadays, when I lend out my books, I tend to put them in a plastic cover (like you get on library books) which has a sticker onthe front of it with my name and addres on it, so people don't forget where they got the book in the first place. I've had a much better "return rate" since I started doing that and the books come back without coffee-cup rings on them or scuffed from being inside bags because the plastic cover protects them. I've also started putting a "book passport" into books that I loan out quite a lot, so that I can see who's had them - it's nice to be able to look back and see who borrowed what - and it means I can get a better idea of what to recommend to them next time too! :friends0:

Kell, I love the idea of using a plastic cover. I don't mind lending out my books, but I extremely dislike when I get them back all dirty and scuffed. I like your passport idea as well. I'm definitely going to try these the next time I lend out my books. Thanks! =)

I got the plastic covers from our local niversity supply shop - they're for covering notebooks so they're a little larger than the books, but I just tape them to fit snugly - keeps everything nice and tidy. :friends0:

I lend books to my Dad and they just sit on his bookshelf. He is not obligated to take it if he does not want to read it. But when my sisters kids go round they finger them so next time I go to my parents they are coming back home with me I will say "If you want to read them anytime you know where they are" I prefer the hardbacks and always buy them as soon as they come out and not wait for the PB and like others here I want them in pristine condition.

Those casual readers out there have no idea how precious our books are to us. do they!

• 1 year later...

Hopefully I put this in the right place:)

For you die hard book lovers, do you lend your books to your friends and family? If so, is it like pulling teeth with a pair of pliers?

OR

Are you a borrower? Do you find that you will borrow a book before you spend money to purchase the book? If you borrow, is it because of financial reasons, limited space or are you just trying the book on for size?

I'll start!

I dont like to borrow books. I rarely check one out at the library now. I would just rather have my own. Besides, I've racked up so many fines on late fees that I keep our local librarians in sweet n low, creamer and coffee for months at a time!

Also, I am a snacker and I'd rather not ruin someone elses books. Working in a bookshoppe, I tend to see lots of people coming in to replace a borrowed, lost or destroyed book that belonged to someone else.

This topic has been addressed before, but only from a lending perspective I think, so yes, chat away people, do you lend/borrow, and if you do one, do you NOT do the other? I'm curious about that myself.

I personally tend not to lend, I just buy new copies for other people :lol: Or, give mine away for keeps. I rarely borrow, and I'm sure I've poor ole Gyre driven demented as I have one of her books with ages!

I don't do either - the few times in the past when I have lent I never got the books back, so I have learnt not to. As for borrowing, I don't do this either, if I want a book and can't afford it, or or only want to read certain sections (non fiction), I go to the library, it's what is't there for.

I'm currently reading a book that my sister has let me borrow and I have absolutely no problem lending out books as long as I know I will get them back. There is nothing better than that feeling of your freind/family member reading something that you have already read and then discussing it, "which bit are you up to? ooooh"

They are only books and they are there to be read so the more the merrier I say. Although, I do prefer my books to look worn and well read so that probably helps :lol:

Lots of people lend to me and I'm a fast reader so they probably know they will get them back pretty quickly. I also borrow from the library like there is no tomorrow :(

I do from people sometimes, as I know I'll do my best to take care of the borrowed books as if they're my own, I also borrow from the library from time to time, but mostly buy my own copies as I like to go back and re-read a lot. As for other people borrowing mine, I'm not so keen on it, I've lent to friends in the past and have either never seen the book again, or they've come back in an appalling condition, which just really puts me off as I like to keep my books in as good as condition as possible.

I don't lend my books out, because if the spine gets bends in it I have to get a new copy. And I don't want someone's grubby fingermarks all over my crisp clean pages.

As for borrowing, I once borrowed a book that someone had sneezed all over. There was evidence. Suffice to say, my borrowing is a rare thing these days. I'll only borrow if the lender is a snob. That way no book is coming my way with someone's fluids on the pages.

I don't lend books out because the few times I have they have come back in a state where I've had to buy new copies (I get really paranoid about creases or dirt). I only tend to borrow books from uni, ones that I need to read which are too expensive to buy. Otherwise I just buy them cheap on Amazon or when there's special offers rather than borrowing them :lol:

I have a sister in law who lends out dvds and books. We are required to sign the item out if we borrow them!:lol:

Nellie, you know, in a scene from the movie Inkheart, there is an aunt who loves books so much that no one is allowed in her library (especially children) and she has a table where her rare books are locked away.

I lent a friend a book last September and I still haven't got it back! It was 'Wicked!' as well!:lol:

I also lent someone else the Amber Spyglass two years ago and they dropped it in the bath!

They bought me a new copy though.

I borrow books all the time, because I figure it doesn't matter what state the book's in as long as the story's good.

And you can actually read it, of course! :(