Your favorite book

Kenny

I have one that reads and one that doesn't - same reading example set to both. At the end of the day they are individuals - something I have to keep reminding myself when I wonder in despair at certain behaviours that I don't approve of - eg. the tidy gene seemed to have skipped a generation!;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm going to feel very sad saying this, but i simply have to give J K Rowling a mention. There's been alot of things said by people (particularly teenagers!) about how the Harry Potter books are 'nerdy' and 'stupid' but, to me, they're feel good books.

I don't think that's sad at all! I reckon for every person who has genuinely read and disliked the series there is another who dislikes it only because it's 'cool' to be different and they don't want to be seen as following the crowd.

Maybe they think it's nerdy because they see much younger children reading them, but to me that just shows an incredible feat of story-telling - that the books appeal to all ages. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 26 and proud to admit that I love JK Rowling's books! Don't ever let anyone try to make you feel like you're stupid or a nerd for liking certain books. :)

And welcome to the forum! ;)

Nope - I enjoyed the Harry Potter books too. And my Mam just finished reading them last week and LOVED them from start to finish - she's in her 50s, so there really is a wide appeal. ;)

I have one that reads and one that doesn't - same reading example set to both. At the end of the day they are individuals - something I have to keep reminding myself when I wonder in despair at certain behaviours that I don't approve of - eg. the tidy gene seemed to have skipped a generation!;)

:) One of mine has inherited the tidy gene, but it's definitely faulty in the other!

K.B Marsh, i understand what you mean! I loved enduring love, but there were certain bits I found very slow...mainly closer to the end though! maybe in the future you'll give it another try? who knows, maybe one day you'll get on with it! =)

---

thanks for the welcome Kylie =)

yes, i think Harry Potter does appeal to an extremely broad age group, and i suppose that's the beauty of it...everyone can enjoy it =)

Edited by Michelle
merged

My absolute favorite book is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I fell in love with it when I was thirteen years old and have never found another novel that makes me feel the way the Heights make me feel. It is a very passionate and also very dark read.

I grew up about a 10 minutes drive from Haworth and the moors, once you have been there you get a real feel for the drama of the moors and the atmosphere

• 1 month later...
Guest Tiresias

I really enjoyed The Secret Agent and Heart of Darkness. Haven't read Almeter's Folly, but I think I'll put it on my TBR list.

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller and The Shade of the Maple by Kirk Martin are my two favorites. I could never say enough great things about these books!

I've just finished reading The Bridges of Madison County, bookworm. I really like his books, I particularly enjoyed Border Music.

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller and The Shade of the Maple by Kirk Martin are my two favorites. I could never say enough great things about these books!

Oooh - I bought The Bridges of Madison County a few weeks ago because it's my oldest friend's favourite film and I've never seen it!

I've just finished reading The Bridges of Madison County, bookworm. I really like his books, I particularly enjoyed Border Music.

I only read one other book by Waller, Slow Waltz in Cedar Bend (I think that was the name). I hated it! So, I never tried reading his other books. To me, I don't think any of his other books could ever top The Bridges of Madison County.

Oooh - I bought The Bridges of Madison County a few weeks ago because it's my oldest friend's favourite film and I've never seen it!

Janet, I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. I never saw the movie because to me, the book is always better than the movie.

Have you read the other Duncton books Colin? They're extraordinarily good!

Another one of my favourites is from my childhood - The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall.

Another one of my favourites is from my childhood - The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall.

We read that in the first or second year of secondary school... One of the few books we had to read that I enjoyed! The TV adaptation was good as well.