What are Everyone's Favourite Films?

marbles

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 60s

Was that a mini-series on TV once, or am I thinking of something else? I'm sure there was a mini-series called the 60s, which I really loved. :lol: I think I accidentally taped over it and was very annoyed with myself.

Breakfast at Tiffany's .. infact anything with Audrey in it

His Girl Friday

Lord of the Rings (all three)

Sweeney Todd

Harry Potter (all six)

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

I Capture the Castle

Serendipity

Jungle Book

All Wallace & Gromit's

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Chesilbeach, I see you have 'Best in Show' on your list. Have you seen the rest of Guest's films? I love his stuff, and I think my all-time favorite would have to be Waiting for Guffman. I absolutely love his 'mocu-mentary' style of film making. Unfortunately I never did get to see the latest one, I think it was called For Your Consideration? Did you see that one?

Poppyshake, I too love 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' and would call it a fave. I watched it again recently and was reminded how much I loved it :).

Chesilbeach, I see you have 'Best in Show' on your list. Have you seen the rest of Guest's films? I love his stuff, and I think my all-time favorite would have to be Waiting for Guffman. I absolutely love his 'mocu-mentary' style of film making. Unfortunately I never did get to see the latest one, I think it was called For Your Consideration? Did you see that one?

I've seen most of them, but Best In Show is definitely my favourite - Fred Willard's commentator makes me chuckle just thinking of him! I haven't seen For Your Consideration yet, as I tried to record it when it was on the tv recently but it cut off about 10 minutes at the beginning, so it's on my list of DVDs to buy soon.

I have lots but the ones in my top ten are, Taxi Driver, Lost in Translation, Truly Madly Deeply, Star Wars episodes, 4 -6 and Blade Runner

I love Lost in Translation. You've reminded me to see what other movies Sofia Coppola has made as I also love Maire Antoinette. She has quite a unique style :lol:

Edit: I've just checked faithful wikipedia and she directed The Virgin Suicides too. Another great movie :lol:

Okay, I have new favorites now (like I said I would last year):

Spirited Away

Chakushin ari (One Missed Call: Japanese version)

Amelie

Breathless

Factory Girl

Wristcutters: A Love Story

Rinne (Reincarnation)

The Haunting in Connecticut

Little Miss Sunshine

Not a prequel fan then?

Then again, who is :D? The Phantom Menace was the only ever instance of me snoring my way through a film at the cinema; I didn't even bother going to see Revenge of the Sith. The remastered Star Wars trilogy was the first thing I ever saw on the big screen, I can't believe George Lucas would mar that childhood memory.

Thank heaven the new Star Trek film was to its franchise everything the Phantom Menace wasn't.

I have this for it sounded awesome but I never seem to be in the mood to see it... help :lol:?

Ooooooookay I just looked it up, and.... oooookay. The title and cover art leave a LOT to be desired, it's like something a 14 year old emo kid would come up with. The plot synopsis sounded a bit cooler though.

I'm sure I mentioned this film in my initial 'fave film list' post, but I watched Smoke Signals again this weekend and was reminded how much I love it :D. Definitely one of the most overlooked indie films about Native American reservation life.

OMG Smoke Signals is an amazing movie. The main character is so hot :D I have a serious thing for Native Americans.

But it IS a great movie. The speech at the end is superb.

'If we forgive our fathers, what is left?'

Edited by Nollaig

Ooohhh yay Roxi, you've seen it! Yep, Adam Beach as Victor looks amazing with that hair, woo :lol:. That speech at the end is excellent, and I love the story-telling mode that Thomas gets into; he just draws you right into his imagination. Love the car that can only drive in reverse too :D.

Peacefield, I had forgotten this - why does Thomas have a really bad Irish twinge in his accent?? He sounds Irish!!! Or at least, as Irish as any Canadian trying to sound Irish can :D

Also, he's pretty cute when he loses the braids and suit :lol:

'Hey Victor, I guess that warrior look doesn't work ev-'

'SHUT UP, Thomas!'

Thomas: 'You know the only thing more pathethic than Indians on tv, is Indians watching Indians on tv.' :out:

Edited by Nollaig

:lol: I know Roxi, for some reason when Thomas speaks in that film the end of his words/phrases go up, if you know what I mean. It's very hard to explain! I'm not sure why he speaks that way though. Maybe the Indians in that region (Coeur D'Alene, Idaho) speak like that? I agree about the glasses and suit too :friends0:.

There are so many good quotes in that movie! I love this exchange:

Victor: You gotta look mean or people won't respect you. White people will run all over you if you don't look mean. You gotta look like a warrior! You gotta look like you just came back from killing a buffalo!

Thomas: But our tribe never hunted buffalo - we were fisherman.

Victor: What! You want to look like you just came back from catching a fish? This ain't "Dances with Salmon" you know!

:D