Books for Babies...?

Kell

Okie dokie - you all know I'm expecting and that (according to the bit in my sig) I have 99 days to go till Due Date.

Anyhoo, being an avid reader myself, i am determined to instill a love of books in Tadpole, and so I need to amass a library worthy of our mini bookworm. I've ordered a few books already, but I need recommendations from folks on really great books with wonderful stories and gorgeous pictures to keepeven the tetchiest kid entertained.

So far I have either got or ordered:

- The Tale of Two Bad Mice by Beatrix Potter (my own copy from childhood!)

- The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (my own copy from childhood!)

- Winnie the Pooh by A A Milne (my own copy from childhood!)

- The Nursery Alice by Lewis Caroll (my own copy from childhood!)

- Mr Bear Says, Can I Have a Hug? by Debi Gliori

- Storytime for 2 Year Olds by Ladybird Books (perhaps a little premature - LOL!)

- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

- Everyone Hide from Wibbly Pig by Mick Inkpen

- Bear by Mick Inkpen

- Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Janssen

- Little Beaver and the Echo by Amy MacDonald

- One Ted Falls Out of Bed by Julia Donaldson

- Squash and Squeeze by Julia Donaldson

- Smartest Giant in Town by Julia Donaldson

- Lift the Flap 123 by Bright Kids

- The Tabitha Stories by A N Wilson

- Little Caribou by Sarah Fox-Davies

But I need more! And who else should I ask but my good buddies on the forum?

Edited by Kell

I recommend Where's Goldie? written and illustrated by Lawrence DiFiori. It is one of the First Little Golden Books about a girl searching for her yellow bird that flew out the window. The bird appears hidden in each picture for the child reading it to find. It was one of my favs.

I checked and it is available on amazon.com

Before our two year old was born we bought him these.

Because of the stark black and white images they really attracted his attention right from birth and he used to love looking at them in the first few months. We also got him one like the ones below but that unfolded and we used to put it around his moses basket for him to look at.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Black-Tana-Hoban/dp/0688119190/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213997013&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faces-Babys-Very-First-Book/dp/0333994175/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213997320&sr=1-1

Both of mine adored :-

Guess how much I love you? ( fave line, "all the way to the moon and back!")

Spot the Dog

The Owl Babies ("I love my Mummy" is the favourite phrase))

Katie likes The Owl Babies! And Spot the Dog books. Her faves are Elmer the elephant books, Winnie The Pooh, and any book that plays music, but her absolute favourite one is Baby Faces. There are quite a few books with that title, and these, along with black and white books, or books with strong colours are recommended for new borns because they can't see very far at first, and are attracted to faces, black and white, and strong colour (and lights too of course).

Katie also likes The Night Garden and Charlie and Lola books, because she recognises the characters from the tv, and she loves touch and feel and lift the flap books.

Ooh, there is a good one I got Millie from the library last week called All About Me. It has pictures of babies naked and talks about body parts.

My dad used to read me Wind in the Willows. :D

I have my old hardback copy of that, as well as Winnie the Pooh and The Nursary Alice (I suppose I should add them to the list, really!)

*wonders if Kell is in the mood for adopting a 32-year-old, if she's looking to buy so many books*

LOL - I'm not even sure we're ready for this baby, never mind taking on someone else's fully-grown one! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far - keep 'em coming!

As has been said, babies apparently like the black and white ones. When she was a little older, Amy loved anything with flaps to lift, or things to feel (there's a range of "That's not my..." books that she loves!). Other than that, don't go too mad with buying.. by the time tadpole is old enough to appreciate books, you'll have a better idea of what she/she likes. :)

Don't forget Pippi Longstockings or anything else by Astrid Lindgren. (Although *warning* too much of exposure to Pippi may result in a child like me.) Le Petit Prince, of course... I had a ton of books when I was a kid, but I cannot remember them up until when I was a little older, (d'oh! Who remebers what they were read to when they were two??), I should probably call my old nanny... I did have these Finnish books about a bunny, who did all sorts of things, but I don't know if they were only in Finnish... I adored all things Krtek, though, there might be books about him! (in case of lost in translation, Krtek is the little mole who got blue trousers and built a rocket to fly to the moon and such, from the 50's)

Just come round to my house and you can borrow books we can't bare to part with. :)

You must add

Kipper - Mick Inkpen

Percy the Park Keeper - Nick Butterworth (especially One Snowy Night)

Katie Morag Stories - Marie Hedderwick (plus she is Scottish)

Oh No !Peedie Peebles - Mairi Hedderwick

Peedie Peeble Summer or Winter - Mairi Hedderwick

Farmer Duck - Martin Waddell & Helen Oxenbury

Tattiebogle (can't remember the other will try and find the book)

Old Bear Stories - Jane Hissey

Apple Tree Farm Series - Usborne Books

Our list goes on and on will add more when I can remember/find them.

Edited by Inver

We have tons of books too. Even I don't know what books are on the children's shelves. Katie likes Where Oh Where Is Baby Bear? It is a good little story that always makes me smile. The pocoyo books are quite good too. They have nice bold colours, fun characters, and are educational too, so will be good for baby and toddler.