Breadmaker ?

I have been after a breadmaker for ages but as I am a kitchen gadget freak (many gadgets gathering dust in cupboards) OH has banned me from getting one as he doesn't think I will use it.

Today I borrowed his Mums one for a try out and due to the mouthwatering smell currently filling the house I reckon I could talk him round LOL!

Anyone have a Breadmaker?

Would you recommend your model?

Any hints or tips as always appreciated

:D

KxXx

I've had a breadmaker for a few years now , however I would say unless you make bread frequently it's one gadget you could probably live without. I find it much more simple to make it by hand as well as being more theraputic and tasting better.

Yum! fresh bread smell in the morning - might even put me in a better mood - I am NOT a morning person LOL!

I just love that I will know exactly what goes into my bread and can add different things to create my own flavours. Good quality bread (I love seeded bread) is so expensive now I grudge paying up to £2 for a loaf every few days.

I did it the easy way this time instead of buying all the ingredients I bought a packet of Multigrain bread mix from Lidls for 90p which will make 2 loaves. Cant wait for it to be ready.

Unfortunately hand making it isnt an option due to dodgy wrists.

My mum made her own bread for years, curtesy of the bread strikes in the 70's, and I would love to do the same but unfortunately in this more modern world I have nowhere for it to 'prove' my mum used to use the airing cupboard and the fireplace (we had an open fire). I've been thinkong about a breadmaker for a while now so I'd be interested to what other people have and what they think of them.

Yes...I remember those strikes!

One loaf of bread per family per day didn't go far with five of us plus parents so she had no other choice. In a way it was good because the homemade bread was far better and even when the strikes finished mum continued baking her own till we'd all left home.

Yup I remember the bread strikes. Long time ago.:D

More recently (Just:smile2:) my daughter gave my husband a bread maker for his Christmas. He used it a few times and then when we moved house it was relegated to the garage where it has languished ever since.

The bread was very good however, and I think these bread makers are very good. I might just get another one.:smile2:

I've got a breadmaker and I'm really pleased with it - makes jam too. It's handy for mixing eg. pizza dough etc and you can also make cakes in them. Some of the bread mixes are good - I can recommend the Lakeland ones.

We have used our bread maker for years - less so recently though. I seem to have got out of the habit. I love making my own by hand though - it is so satisfying - I've done a fair bit of that this year, however it never seems to last, LOL!

Tonight I made Multi grain bread which has turned out ok - bit dense for my liking but then realised I used the white setting instead of the Wholewheat/grain setting. You live and learn!

Then I made a Fat Free Yogurt Cake - the recipe had orange zest in it but I substituted cinnamon and added a couple of handfuls of raisins - its just baked and its is amazing!

Am on a hunt for the best deal on a Bread maker and writing a list of the ingredients I need to get tomorrow!

I have a bread maker too. Makes lovely bread and also like to make white dough and then make them into yummy rolls to have with home made soup. I have a Panasonic SD 253. It is at the upper end of the cost though, we bought it as a present.

I think breadmakers are great too. I used to make bread by hand but it is much easier with a breadmaker, if a little less satisfying. I use it a lot for pizza dough, bread rolls, buns and flat bread as well as ordinary loaves. The only trouble is that it is so yummy, you eat too much of it.

They come in different loaf sizes so check you are getting one that suits what you want.

I think we have this one, panasonic SD254. It is a bit expensive though. OH got it as a Christmas present (well used his Christmas money on it) and he did research pretty well and thought it was the best one. (If it had been me I'd have probably gone for a much cheaper one, I'm not as extravagant as he is :D)

It's really good though, and has a seed/raisin dispenser which we use all the time. (We often make seeded bread and occasionally fruit loaf.)

But it has been a great success and worth the money since we have only bought about 2 loaves since Christmas. We also use it for rolls (make the dough then oven bake) and we are experimenting with freezing part baked rolls but it hasn't worked so far :smile2:

There is another panasonic which is a lot cheaper but without the seed dispenser.

I think we have this one, panasonic SD254. It is a bit expensive though. OH got it as a Christmas present (well used his Christmas money on it) and he did research pretty well and thought it was the best one. (If it had been me I'd have probably gone for a much cheaper one, I'm not as extravagant as he is :D)

It's really good though, and has a seed/raisin dispenser which we use all the time. (We often make seeded bread and occasionally fruit loaf.)

But it has been a great success and worth the money since we have only bought about 2 loaves since Christmas. We also use it for rolls (make the dough then oven bake) and we are experimenting with freezing part baked rolls but it hasn't worked so far :smile2:

There is another panasonic which is a lot cheaper but without the seed dispenser.

Great minds think alike....that is what we have but an older styled model.

Thanks for the replies folks :D

The models mentioned are the ones with the best reviews on the net - Panasonic is highly recommended. The Morphy Richards Fastbake also gets good reviews and is quite a bit cheaper, so will need to figure out which to go for.

Can the Panasonic machines make Jam? I am sure I read somewhere they cant and this was the reason that folk were buying the MR one?

The one I have borrowed from MIL is a Russell Hobbs, seems good but models isnt available anymore.

I went shopping today and bought loads of ingredients so my kitchen now resembles a bakery LOL! Really enjoying the process - tonight I made a big white loaf and just put a carrot cake in. Not good for the diet though LOL!

Kx

Thanks for the replies folks :D

Can the Panasonic machines make Jam? I am sure I read somewhere they cant and this was the reason that folk were buying the MR one?

I don't think so. Our one doesn't anyway.

Oh I think I want one - good job birthday is coming up :smile2:

hehe