Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Guest Anonymous

I'm now so far behind in watching that I'm just going to wait until all of the episodes have aired, and then I'll have a marathon session (or two). I've still been keenly reading all of your comments though. :)

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:rolol: Don't worry, I will not breathe a word of it outside of this house. :D

Kay I know why you got mixed up..you have a rose in your mouth... :giggle2:

:D This must be why .. when I try and explain to people why I love this book so much .. I start talking about carpets and three gentlemen .. all called John Hollyshoes :D 

From what I remember of my feelings when I read the book, I loved the density and richness that the footnotes brought to the story, and I think I feel that was missing in the first episode.

I'm two episodes behind now, but this is precisely why I'm two episodes behind. I remember loving the book both times I've read it and loving how real it felt, as if I were reading history and not fiction (to the extent that I remember making a note to look for one of the books mentioned in a footnote only having to stop and remind myself the book didn't actually exist!). But I feel like that's not coming across in the adaptation. I feel like the plot is confusing in a way it wasn't in the book and I'm bored rather than enthralled and entertained. I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually!

Also, does Lady Poole strike anyone else as more of a sulky teenager than a sick young woman? I'm okay with  most of the casting but she really bugs me.

Catherine

I remember loving the book both times I've read it and loving how real it felt, as if I were reading history and not fiction (to the extent that I remember making a note to look for one of the books mentioned in a footnote only having to stop and remind myself the book didn't actually exist!). But I feel like that's not coming across in the adaptation.

Pretty much how I feel, too.  In particular, they're not conveying Stephen's part of the story at all well, and I also feel that Eddie Marsan's talent is being wasted.  Having said that, last night's episode was better, I thought, and had some top notch special effects, too.  It's definitely at its best when it's focusing on Strange.

Right with you, Karsa! I remember Stephen as sort of ticking along quietly yet very importantly as the story progressed and then BAM he steps centre stage. I don't feel like it will feel that impact-full in the adaptation. Strange was always my favourite of the two, but I haven't connected with how he's portrayed the way I did with him in the book.

Catherine

You have to remember that this is a massive book .. the audio was over 32 hours long!! And they're having to squeeze it down into 7 hours. I think they're doing marvellously all things considered. Stephen is still bugging me a bit and Marc Warren is excellent at the sinister side of the Gentleman but the playful side is lost .. we haven't really seen it (though the playful side was still .. extremely sinister :D

I thought the last episode was brilliant. I am just loving Bertie Carvel so much .. he is fantastic. I'm appreciating Lady Pole more and more (and remember she was 19 so still a teen) and Mr Segundus is adorable. Arabella is wonderful and just heart achingly gorgeous. I'm glad they've made the relationship between her and Jonathan central to the story.

How fantastic was it when Jonathan charged through the mirrors to confront Mr Norrell?

I'm only sorry that more people aren't watching .. we could do with more of this sort of drama. 

You have to remember that this is a massive book .. the audio was over 32 hours long!! And they're having to squeeze it down into 7 hours. I think they're doing marvellously all things considered. Stephen is still bugging me a bit and Marc Warren is excellent at the sinister side of the Gentleman but the playful side is lost .. we haven't really seen it (though the playful side was still .. extremely sinister :D

I thought the last episode was brilliant. I am just loving Bertie Carvel so much .. he is fantastic. I'm appreciating Lady Pole more and more (and remember she was 19 so still a teen) and Mr Segundus is adorable. Arabella is wonderful and just heart achingly gorgeous. I'm glad they've made the relationship between her and Jonathan central to the story.

How fantastic was it when Jonathan charged through the mirrors to confront Mr Norrell?

I'm only sorry that more people aren't watching .. we could do with more of this sort of drama. 

And Childermass is starting to expand a bit too. I really enjoyed the bit with him and Mr Strange. 

You have to remember that this is a massive book

Yes, I do remember :D   I looked back at my review of it and it took me eight days to read, at about 3 hours per day, so I guess 32 hours for an audiobook is about right, given that the narrators read much slower :shrug:  I'm curious, though - how did they deal with the footnotes in the audio version? :unsure:

I agree.  If the viewing figures aren't up to scratch, though, it would seem that it hasn't captured enough casual viewers.  Most - if not all - of the people I know who are enjoying it were already fans of the book, so they don't need the tv show to explain everything.  I know a couple of people who haven't read the book and one of them is still watching but thinks it's only 'okay', whilst the other one watched one episode and gave up.  To me, that seems to indicate that the script, whilst faithful to the book, isn't doing enough to engage a lot of those - not all, but a lot - who haven't read it.  I also wonder if it's not a bit too 'out there' to appeal to the viewers who tune in for the normal Sunday night period dramas.  Maybe being screened on a different night would've found it a larger audience  :shrug:

I'm enjoying this more and more as each episode comes around - really glad I stuck with it after the first two episodes which felt a bit flat to me. I'll be getting the book as soon as the series is finished. I will have to wait till then as I'm fighting the urge to read ahead and find out what's going to happen!

Yes, I do remember :D   I looked back at my review of it and it took me eight days to read, at about 3 hours per day, so I guess 32 hours for an audiobook is about right, given that the narrators read much slower :shrug:  I'm curious, though - how did they deal with the footnotes in the audio version? :unsure:

The narrator just says something like .. 'footnote 3' and then reads it out. Works pretty well actually .. I found myself far less irritated by them than I usually am because I didn't have to look to the bottom of the page etc. He's a marvellous narrator as well so he did full justice to them .. especially the ones that were like mini stories in themselves (like the one about the magic ring.)

I agree.  If the viewing figures aren't up to scratch, though, it would seem that it hasn't captured enough casual viewers.  Most - if not all - of the people I know who are enjoying it were already fans of the book, so they don't need the tv show to explain everything.  I know a couple of people who haven't read the book and one of them is still watching but thinks it's only 'okay', whilst the other one watched one episode and gave up.  To me, that seems to indicate that the script, whilst faithful to the book, isn't doing enough to engage a lot of those - not all, but a lot - who haven't read it.  I also wonder if it's not a bit too 'out there' to appeal to the viewers who tune in for the normal Sunday night period dramas.  Maybe being screened on a different night would've found it a larger audience  :shrug:

Yes .. same here .. those I know who are enjoying it already knew the book. The others .. though not hating it .. are a little confused.

It was supposed to be part of the BBC's Christmas schedule 2014 .. and I think winter nights would have suited it better. Possibly in the week .. on BBC2 .. like Wolf Hall.

I'm re-listening to it being read at the moment and have sort of caught up with the story .. am in roughly the same place but have noticed some differences.

Lascelles didn't write the book that Jonathan objected to and wrote the critique of.

Arabella is already dead when Lady Pole attempts to kill Mr Norrell. So there is no coach ride to faerie with Stephen .. unless that is recapped later.

Arabella (or the changeling) never exacts that promise from Jonathan .. about being his only wife .. she didn't really say anything that was comprehensible and seemed to be speaking as if she was a tree .. which of course she was (something about being in pain from her crown to her roots.) 

I'm enjoying this more and more as each episode comes around - really glad I stuck with it after the first two episodes which felt a bit flat to me. I'll be getting the book as soon as the series is finished. I will have to wait till then as I'm fighting the urge to read ahead and find out what's going to happen!

Yay!!  :cows: I'm very glad to hear it Ian :D

The narrator just says something like .. 'footnote 3' and then reads it out. Works pretty well actually .. I found myself far less irritated by them than I usually am because I didn't have to look to the bottom of the page etc.

That was something that I really loved about the book :smile:   Normally I don't bother with footnotes but in this I found myself eagerly awaiting the next one, even when they went on for pages and pages :lol:

That was something that I really loved about the book :smile:   Normally I don't bother with footnotes but in this I found myself eagerly awaiting the next one, even when they went on for pages and pages  :lol:

Yes the footnotes are great! So inventive and fascinating.

Just watched last Sunday's episode. Oooooh!! :D Unfortunately I finished the audiobook yesterday and so had a very clear idea of how the story ends. This proved to be a drawback. Alan was very upset as I spent the whole programme saying .. 'no .. that's not right' etc (very stupid of me as I know they've had to make changes to fit the story in etc.) 

Two major annoyances though .. 

Vinculus was supposed to be all over blue .. so as to look like a blue man .. they hadn't gone nearly far enough with the tattooing.

Dr Greysteel was a great friend and ally of Jonathan's .. so disappointed to see him turned into an adversary.

Lots of other irritations but they would have sailed over my head if I hadn't read the book .. I'm an idiot!!  :blush2:

Having said all that I still loved it. Am more reconciled to Stephen .. I thought he was brilliant in this episode and loving everyone else just as much as ever. Great casting. Loved all the raven special effects. Sad that there's only one more :(

Unfortunately I finished the audiobook yesterday and so had a very clear idea of how the story ends. This proved to be a drawback. Alan was very upset as I spent the whole programme saying .. 'no .. that's not right' etc (very stupid of me as I know they've had to make changes to fit the story in etc.) 

That's a problem for us readers with adaptations - just ask Game of Thrones fans  :D

That's a problem for us readers with adaptations - just ask Game of Thrones fans  :D

I know .. it happens to me a lot and I was determined to stay in ignorance this time as far as the details were concerned. So much of it was hazy but no .. I've gone and ruined it for myself .. well done me!! :blush2: 

There was a great blooper posted on FB today .. I'll go see if i can find it. 

What the........that last episode was nothing at all like the book...several situations that I was really looking forward to with relish had been completely changed.

I'm glad to hear it - I was vaguely disappointed in the ending. Hasn't stopped me wanting to read the book though.

Hmm - £3 on Amazon for the KIndle version - I'll be downloading that when i get home tonight!

Edited by ian