Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Guest Anonymous

Cameras on tripods are sooo last century

:giggle2: Not sure why though, it doesn't *always* enhance the viewing, but I was too engrossed in the story to notice.  Unfortunately, he knows his stuff, and can get a bit too technical for me and take away from the enjoyment of a programme, but like I said, I tuned him out and will still make him watch it with me.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did enjoy it, but I realise how much of the book I've forgotten now … think I may have to consider a re-read (and perhaps invest in the ebook this time to save my poor aching wrist! :D),

Me too! I visited Wikipedia afterwards and read the whole plot synopsis to remind myself of what happens. It's funny how you can love a book so much but forget huge chunks of it.  :blush2: Watching the first show made me very, very tempted to start the book again. Luckily I now have a three-book set, so my wrists will be safe. :D

Watched with my OH and he wasn't so keen, but from a technical point of view.  He complained that no-one puts a camera on a tripod any more and some other such nonsense that I kind of tuned out as soon as he started :giggle2:  Won't stop me making him watch it again next week. :lol:

:giggle2: I didn't even notice any tripod technique being used, but I'll probably be looking out for it now!

Saw the second episode with all the kids again.  Things are shaping up nicely. Hardly any of Childermass tonight but much more of the disagreeable aspects of Norrell's character coming out. And Strange is very good. They don't seem to be missing anything of importance out and yet the story is fairly bowling along at a rapid pace. The actor playing Stephen Black is growing on me but I just wish he was a few inches taller, as I imagined him to be in the book. Lady Pole looks suitably frazzled. Great stuff. Anybody know anything about viewing figures? Is this a hit?   

Edited by vodkafan

Saw the second episode with all the kids again.  Things are shaping up nicely. Hardly any of Childermass tonight but much more of the disagreeable aspects of Norrell's character coming out. And Strange is very good. They don't seem to be missing anything of importance out and yet the story is fairly bowling along at a rapid pace. The actor playing Stephen Black is growing on me but I just wish he was a few inches taller, as I imagined him to be in the book. Lady Pole looks suitably frazzled. Great stuff. Anybody know anything about viewing figures? Is this a hit?   

Haven't seen anything about viewing figures yet, but opinions from people I know are hugely divided. My mum, sister and grandad love it, but my dad, husband and grandma think it's terrible! :o

Didn't quite enjoy this week's episode as much as last week's (probably because I'm now suffering from withdrawal symptoms due to the disappointing lack of Childermass :giggle2: ) but thought it was still really good. Drawlight and Lascelles are finally beginning to show their true colours. :D And you're right, Strange is excellent!

Favourite quote: "Arabella is not a three-year-old, Jonathan!" :lol:

Edited by Signor Finzione

Haven't seen anything about viewing figures yet, but opinions from people I know are hugely divided. My mum, sister and grandad love it, but my dad, husband and grandma think it's terrible! :o

Didn't quite enjoy this week's episode as much as last week's (probably because I'm now suffering from withdrawal symptoms due to the disappointing lack of Childermass :giggle2: ) but thought it was still really good. Drawlight and Lascelles are finally beginning to show their true colours. :D And you're right, Strange is excellent!

Favourite quote: "Arabella is not a three-year-old, Jonathan!" :lol:

Interesting to hear of your family's reactions! . Yes I liked that line of Arabella's too. Norrell had another line about books this episode too which I chuckled at but right now can't recall!

Norrell had another line about books this episode too which I chuckled at but right now can't recall!

Ooh, cool. I'll look out for it when I watch it later today. :)

I enjoyed it much more this week.  I'm not sure why, it just felt a lot less disjointed than the first ep did :unsure:  I do wish they'd made Marc Warren look less like a Thunderbirds puppet, though :giggle2:

I did hear they'd lost two million viewers since the first episode :( .. and I think they only had four to begin with. I don't know what's wrong with people .. they just can't be bothered to watch anything that requires thought and patience! Also disappointed to see that Waterstone's are, so far, not promoting the book at all :( There was one copy in the window .. but tucked away somewhere and I couldn't find any inside! When I think of the number of copies of Fifty Shades of Grey I had to clamber over .. my heart sinks!!

I enjoyed this weeks episode very much. I liked Marc Warren more .. he's creepy (loved that scene with him, Jonathan, Arabella and Stephen.) There was a distinct lack of Childermass and a complete lack of Vinculus but they'll be back. I'm not sure I'm getting Lady Pole .. she is so different to how I imagined .. I flip from thinking she's brilliant to thinking she's not quite right .. difficult part to play though (poor Lady Pole .. she wasn't given much time to enjoy her restored health!) I Think Bertie Carvel is excellent .. really warming to him as Jonathan and Eddie is brilliant as always. Also loving Arabella. 

Today's 'where have I see him/her before' was the lieutenant giving out the orders on Portsmouth beach .. surely he was Alf in Lark Rise to Candleford :D 

Interesting to hear of your family's reactions! . Yes I liked that line of Arabella's too. Norrell had another line about books this episode too which I chuckled at but right now can't recall!

"One is never lonely when one has a book"? :giggle2:

I've not read the book, and I'm finding the series a bit "meh" at the moment. It's odd, I find each individual actor really good (esp, Marc Warren), and I love the look of the whole program (money well spent on sets and scenes by the BBC, as usual), but it just hasn't grabbed me (yet) as much as I expected.

As usual though, I really want to read the book now.

Episode number three was a cracker.in my opinion. Plenty of Childermass and lots of Stephen Black's story. The poor zombie soldiers talking dialects of Hell were excellent.

Edited by vodkafan

:o Are you waiting to watch them all in one stupendous seven hour binge Claire?

No, not really.  I watched the first one, but although I enjoyed it at the time, it's not left a big impression on me, and I just haven't felt inclined to watch the second episode yet, but I guess it looks like I could end up saving them to watch like a box set.  I sort of think I'll get more out of it if I read the book again first, as I don't remember enough about it.

although I enjoyed it at the time, it's not left a big impression on me

That's pretty much how I feel about it.  I enjoyed the stuff about Strange this week, but the rest of it was fairly boring, to the point where my mind started to wonder - not a good sign for me :shrug:

:o Are you waiting to watch them all in one stupendous seven hour binge Claire?

A seven hour JS&MN binge! That sounds amazing. :D

I loved this week's episode.

I particularly liked that they focused on the effect of the war on Jonathan and showed him suffering PTSD-type symptoms - in the book it hardly seemed to affect him at all, which didn't feel right somehow. Though I can't believe they killed Jeremy Johns! Poor Jeremy. :(

That's pretty much how I feel about it.  I enjoyed the stuff about Strange this week, but the rest of it was fairly boring, to the point where my mind started to wonder - not a good sign for me :shrug:

From what I remember of my feelings when I read the book, I loved the density and richness that the footnotes brought to the story, and I think I feel that was missing in the first episode.  The more I talk about it with others, the more I'm talking myself into re-reading the book again before I watch the rest of the series.

Really enjoying it still .. though had to watch Sunday's episode on a small TV .. bah!! :D Particularly loving Jonathan .. Bertie has grown on me so much. Arabella also. I've got quite used to Marc Warren as well .. loving the scenes between him and Arabella. 

Looking forward to seeing Vinculus again and also would prefer more .... much more .. of Mr Norrell .. though Eddie is such a scene stealer :D On the plus side .. there was more Childermass  :giggle: 

Poor Jeremy though .. that didn't happen in the book did it? It's so hard to remember everything. Poor Lady Pole also .. that was harrowing to watch :( .. loved that embroidery though .. someone did a marvellous job there :D

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this week .. things are building up nicely and it was a much more dramatic episode. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of Vinculus .. would have expected him to have appeared again by now but glad to see more of Childermass  :smile2: As I said last week .. Bertie is marvellous. Would never have picked him to play Jonathan .. just shows what I know! :D 

Everyone is cast well. The only person I would perhaps change is Stephen .. I'm not 100% convinced by him but he hasn't been given a lot of screen time ... considering how important he is in the story. Only seven hours to adapt though so something's got to give I guess.

Looking forward to the time when I can get hold of the DVD and watch it all back to back (well practically .. with stop offs for replenishment of refreshments :D

It's the only programme I'm switching the TV on for at the moment.

Really enjoyed this week .. things are building up nicely and it was a much more dramatic episode. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of Vinculus .. would have expected him to have appeared again by now but glad to see more of Childermass  :smile2: As I said last week .. Bertie is marvellous. Would never have picked him to play Jonathan .. just shows what I know! :D 

Everyone is cast well. The only person I would perhaps change is Stephen .. I'm not 100% convinced by him but he hasn't been given a lot of screen time ... considering how important he is in the story. Only seven hours to adapt though so something's got to give I guess.

Looking forward to the time when I can get hold of the DVD and watch it all back to back (well practically .. with stop offs for replenishment of refreshments :D

It's the only programme I'm switching the TV on for at the moment.

Totally agree! Though I didn't dislike last week's episode, this week was much better. I was also expecting to see Vinculus, especially as they used his voice-over at the beginning!

I think Jonathan is now my favourite character. :D I love how they built up the relationship between him and Arabella this week. :wub:

I know exactly what you mean about Stephen . . . he's a little too stoic for my liking. I want to give him a good shake. :giggle2:

And yes, CHILDERMASS. :wub: Is it strange that 'near-death Childermass' looks ten years younger than 'normal Childermass'? :unsure: Also, I'd really like to take him for a manicure . . . or maybe just force him to wash his hands!! :lol:

Totally agree! Though I didn't dislike last week's episode, this week was much better. I was also expecting to see Vinculus, especially as they used his voice-over at the beginning!

I think Jonathan is now my favourite character. :D I love how they built up the relationship between him and Arabella this week. :wub:

I know exactly what you mean about Stephen . . . he's a little too stoic for my liking. I want to give him a good shake. :giggle2:

And yes, CHILDERMASS. :wub: Is it strange that 'near-death Childermass' looks ten years younger than 'normal Childermass'? :unsure: Also, I'd really like to take him for a manicure . . . or maybe just force him to wash his hands!! :lol:

Yes .. that's what Stephen needs .. a good shake to loosen him up :D 

Jonathan is definitely my favourite character now. I quite like dirty Childermass  :blush2: what a fantastic Heathcliff he would make (already has the accent :D) Someone should get on to that straight away!! :D 

Poor Arabella :( .. she's making me quite anxious! I'm glad that she's now being looked after by the lovely Mr Segundus and Mr Honeyfoot  :smile: She looks so worn out and although she lolls on the sofa a lot she doesn't seem to sleep in the day. Surely that would be the answer .. to sleep at least half the day away as the gentleman couldn't take more than his agreed half share. Still, she doesn't know that so no doubt it's a nightmare on Elm Street situation .. she's exhausted but fights sleep. 

Roll on next episode :D I've watched a teeny tiny trailer that wasn't giving much away. 

Poor Arabella :( .. she's making me quite anxious! I'm glad that she's now being looked after by the lovely Mr Segundus and Mr Honeyfoot  :smile: She looks so worn out and although she lolls on the sofa a lot she doesn't seem to sleep in the day. Surely that would be the answer .. to sleep at least half the day away as the gentleman couldn't take more than his agreed half share. Still, she doesn't know that so no doubt it's a nightmare on Elm Street situation .. she's exhausted but fights sleep. 

Poppyshake you mean Lady Pole.....Arabella is Mrs Strange