Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Guest Anonymous

A tv adaptation? Great news! Can't wait to watch it. :)

First time I read it in Dutch, but I bought an English one and am re-reading it now.I stop for a few days or weeks and then pick it up again where I left it and enjoy every sentence. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw the first ident/mini trailer for it on BBC One!!!! :exc:  Just says "Coming soon …" and I still can't see it in the programme info on the BBC Media Centre, so it's going to be at least the second half of May, possibly the end - I wonder if they'll start it over the Bank Holiday weekend at the end of the month?

Here's a one-minute-long trailer. Looks great!  :exc:

Thanks Kylie … you're right, it looks amazing!  I can't get to the link to the review, so not sure if it mentions the date in there, but programme info is published by 3pm on Thursday, so if it's going to be in the week of the 23rd May, we'll know then, if not, it must be on the last weekend (30th/31st) of the month if it's premiering in May.

Did you have a pop-up appear when you clicked on the link to the review? I can't remember what it said now, but I was able to close the message without subscribing (or doing whatever it wanted me to do).

The review was posted on 13 April and it's mentioned in the comments that there was no release date at that time, but the author was thinking around mid May or so. I'd say your guess of end May would be closer (I guess I just don't want to get my hopes up too much!)

It looks fantastic .. I'm so excited :exc: :exc: :exc: .. and I'm very encouraged by that review :) Thanks both of you for posting all the info and links etc .. this has cheered me up no end.

I can wait .. now we know that it's definitely coming .. this is not like Kate Bush's DVD where we still have no idea whether it will actually be released .. this is actually happening :) (is the sequel actually happening though? .. that's another million dollar question!))

I haven't had treat night since Wolf Hall but this calls for treat night to be re-instated :D I was supposed to watch Poldark but haven't got around to it yet. It's always crucial to see the first episode etc. I'm not missing this for sure. I might even make a cake :D 

As the author of the review, I've removed the notifications prompt (it's a Safari/Chrome thing that allows you to "subscribe" to web sites that offer it, so any new articles are pinged over when published) as it's clearly getting in the way.  My apologies for that.  All I will say is that this is an awesome adaptation and I will personally guarantee[1] you'll love t if you love the book.

[1] Only available in Lost Hope and other designed Sidhe territories.

It looks fantastic .. I'm so excited :exc: :exc: :exc: .. and I'm very encouraged by that review :) Thanks both of you for posting all the info and links etc .. this has cheered me up no end.

I can wait .. now we know that it's definitely coming .. this is not like Kate Bush's DVD where we still have no idea whether it will actually be released .. this is actually happening :) (is the sequel actually happening though? .. that's another million dollar question!))

I haven't had treat night since Wolf Hall but this calls for treat night to be re-instated :D I was supposed to watch Poldark but haven't got around to it yet. It's always crucial to see the first episode etc. I'm not missing this for sure. I might even make a cake :D 

I would definitely re-instate treat night for this!  I hope I'm not getting too excited too early, as I don't want to be let down, but it could well be the highlight of the television year :lurker:

As the author of the review, I've removed the notifications prompt (it's a Safari/Chrome thing that allows you to "subscribe" to web sites that offer it, so any new articles are pinged over when published) as it's clearly getting in the way.  My apologies for that.  All I will say is that this is an awesome adaptation and I will personally guarantee[1] you'll love t if you love the book.

[1] Only available in Lost Hope and other designed Sidhe territories.

Welcome to BCF mbdrake :) I'm very glad to have your personal guarantee :D I'm pretty sure you'll turn out to be right!

One helpful thing you wrote was (something like) .. 'they can't include everything'. I often forget this when I watch TV or film adaptations and get a bit shirty but then I do realise that a straight retelling is impossible. You can't do it. So anyway, forewarned is forearmed .. I will be bearing this in mind :) It was a while ago that I read it (have done several re-reads thanks to Simon Prebble's wonderful audio reading but none of them were recent) and so possibly will not be as nitpicky as I would be if I'd only just finished it  :blush2: 

I would definitely re-instate treat night for this!  I hope I'm not getting too excited too early, as I don't want to be let down, but it could well be the highlight of the television year :lurker:

I have decided I am making a cake if at all possible :D A red velvet heartache cake .. possibly with a hidden surprise or some sort of magic related decoration. This is a momentous occasion and I want to commemorate it by stressing myself out as much as possible in the days leading up to it :D Hope we find out the date soon.