Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've heard it's Sunday May 17th at 9pm .. not sure if it's true yet. 

Yes, you're right! I just Googled it and it turns out there is an official Facebook page for the show, where I found this.

It starts at 9 pm on BBC1, Sunday 17 May.

post-3835-0-37726200-1430870863_thumb.png

I'm so glad I started following the FB page because they've posted a three-minute clip from the first episode. They must have chosen it with BCF in mind, because it takes place in a library! 'Forgive me sir...but what a library!' :D

If its on a sunday that means I will be able to watch it with the kids! My daughter is about to explode waiting to see this.

I'm very glad but slightly sad for myself .. was hoping for a midweek showing ... a la Wolf Hall. I have to watch this with Al and he won't be back until Tuesday :( I don't know how I will wait until then ... it's thrown the cake right out too :D Most people though will be glad it's at the weekend .. and it's just right for Sunday night viewing. 

I'm so glad I started following the FB page because they've posted a three-minute clip from the first episode. They must have chosen it with BCF in mind, because it takes place in a library! 'Forgive me sir...but what a library!' :D

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!! :) Despite what I said earlier about not having read it recently .. I have just started listening to it again and have just 'read' that passage with Segundus and Honey-foot at the library at Hurtfew. This is spot on! I love the library :wub: It's all so atmospheric. This is going to be amazing!  :blush2:  :D 

Brilliant! I can't understand the voices of the second half well enough without subtitles unless maybe I were to concentrate really hard and turn up the volume, but I loved the first half of that clip :).

Slight side-note - I went back to get that three-volume boxset and it was gone :(

Awwww :(.

Eddie Marsan and Bertie Carvel were on Graham Norton's radio show this morning .. very interesting chat (though .. not long enough .. why bother playing records and chatting to other people? :D) It sounds better and better the more you hear about it .. certainly the BBC think they have their hands on something special and I think they're right! I'm glad they're taking their time and devoting seven hours to it :wub: Will be epic!! 

Can't believe though that I will have to wait until Tuesday!! Surely I will burst before then?  :blush2: And I'll be so curious .. and fidgety when 9pm comes around tomorrow night. The urge to turn it on will be immense! Still, the cake was made (pics later .. don't get your hopes up! :D) and most of it's been eaten by Alan's workmates so more treats needed for Tuesday!!  :giggle: 

I hope it's something that viewers will take to .. and not like Wolf Hall which divided opinion (and lost viewers after the first episode .. though I thought it was brilliant!) It's like a favourite child .. you want everyone to look upon it and think how lovely and clever it is :D

Can't believe though that I will have to wait until Tuesday!! Surely I will burst before then?  :blush2: And I'll be so curious .. and fidgety when 9pm comes around tomorrow night. The urge to turn it on will be immense! Still, the cake was made (pics later .. don't get your hopes up! :D) and most of it's been eaten by Alan's workmates so more treats needed for Tuesday!!  :giggle: 

Can't you just watch it secretly, and then watch it again on Tuesday? We won't tell him! :hide::giggle2:

I won't say anything about it until then, except that - Childermass is fantastic. :wub::D

All my kids and I just watched the first episode . It was awesome quality TV I was not disappointed. Attention to detail was better than any BBC series I have ever seen.

Watching it now. Loving it so far!

Best quote so far: Mr Norrell (when Childremass tells Norrell that they're going to a party): 'A party? I wish to go home and read a book'. :D

Watching it now. Loving it so far!

Best quote so far: Mr Norrell (when Childremass tells Norrell that they're going to a party): 'A party? I wish to go home and read a book'. :D

That was my favourite line too! I also liked the bit where Strange poked Vinculus with a stick. :D

Can't you just watch it secretly, and then watch it again on Tuesday? We won't tell him! :hide::giggle2:

:D He wouldn't have minded me watching it at all .. he told me to but he loves the book as much as I do so I wanted us to see it together .. ridiculously soppy I know  :blush2: We made a great treat of it, had two very large glasses of wine, some garlic dip and breadsticks .. then spaghetti bolognese and garlic bread (vampires beware :D) .. then when it finished we made some coffee/tea .. grabbed the chocolate biscuits and watched it all over again!! We know how to live! :D I feel suitably sick now!

I won't say anything about it until then, except that - Childermass is fantastic. :wub::D

I thought it was excellent, so, so good :wub: I especially liked Childermass and Vinculus so particularly enjoyed their shared scenes. I wanted to see the next episode straight away .. this is going to be torture .. but delicious torture  :D 

My favourite line was probably Lascelles 'Tis Pity She's a Corpse'!  :D 

Some people were different to how I imagined .. Jonathan and Arabella and the Gentleman (WT-DH) .. but that always happens with adaptations. I'm enjoying everyone so far and it's beautiful to look at. Very happy!

I enjoyed it.  They could never convey on-screen what I thought made the book so special - i.e. the writing style, the footnotes etc - but as a straightforward adaptation it seemed pretty faithful to the main thrust of the story.  And Eddie Marsan is brilliant, as usual  :smile:

:D He wouldn't have minded me watching it at all .. he told me to but he loves the book as much as I do so I wanted us to see it together .. ridiculously soppy I know  :blush2: We made a great treat of it, had two very large glasses of wine, some garlic dip and breadsticks .. then spaghetti bolognese and garlic bread (vampires beware :D) .. then when it finished we made some coffee/tea .. grabbed the chocolate biscuits and watched it all over again!! We know how to live! :D I feel suitably sick now!

I thought it was excellent, so, so good :wub: I especially liked Childermass and Vinculus so particularly enjoyed their shared scenes. I wanted to see the next episode straight away .. this is going to be torture .. but delicious torture  :D 

My favourite line was probably Lascelles 'Tis Pity She's a Corpse'!  :D 

Some people were different to how I imagined .. Jonathan and Arabella and the Gentleman (WT-DH) .. but that always happens with adaptations. I'm enjoying everyone so far and it's beautiful to look at. Very happy!

Glad I'm not the only one who's watched it twice! :D Like you said, it's going to be torture . . . I can't believe there's still 5 more days to wait until the next one!

The Gentleman isn't quite how I imagined him either (and what's with his tacky leafy suit? :lol: ), and Lascelles and Drawlight were a bit unexpected too. And the man who plays Segundus is actually exactly how I imagined Strange, which is odd. :giggle2:

Childermass and Vinculus together were indeed awesome. In fact, I think I may be slightly in love with Childermass. :wub::giggle2:

I enjoyed it.  They could never convey on-screen what I thought made the book so special - i.e. the writing style, the footnotes etc - but as a straightforward adaptation it seemed pretty faithful to the main thrust of the story.  And Eddie Marsan is brilliant, as usual  :smile:

He's great, isn't he? I like how he's portraying Norrell as much more fearful and insecure than he seemed to be in the books. Makes him a bit more sympathetic. :)

Glad I'm not the only one who's watched it twice! :D Like you said, it's going to be torture . . . I can't believe there's still 5 more days to wait until the next one!

The Gentleman isn't quite how I imagined him either (and what's with his tacky leafy suit? :lol: ), and Lascelles and Drawlight were a bit unexpected too. And the man who plays Segundus is actually exactly how I imagined Strange, which is odd. :giggle2:

Childermass and Vinculus together were indeed awesome. In fact, I think I may be slightly in love with Childermass. :wub::giggle2:

He's great, isn't he? I like how he's portraying Norrell as much more fearful and insecure than he seemed to be in the books. Makes him a bit more sympathetic. :)

I forgot about the leafy suit .. it is pretty bad  :D I did like what they did with his voice though.

Mr Segundus is adorable .. I'm loving him. Drawlight and Lascelles were unexpected as you say .. but I thought they were a hoot. I've got a lot more sympathy/empathy for this Mr Norrell than the written one .. I love Eddie anyway .. he's always so watchable.

Childermass is going to steal every scene he's in  :D 

Preview from episode 2

I did enjoy it, but I realise how much of the book I've forgotten now … think I may have to consider a re-read (and perhaps invest in the ebook this time to save my poor aching wrist! :D),

Watched with my OH and he wasn't so keen, but from a technical point of view.  He complained that no-one puts a camera on a tripod any more and some other such nonsense that I kind of tuned out as soon as he started :giggle2:  Won't stop me making him watch it again next week. :lol:

I did enjoy it, but I realise how much of the book I've forgotten now … think I may have to consider a re-read (and perhaps invest in the ebook this time to save my poor aching wrist! :D),

Watched with my OH and he wasn't so keen, but from a technical point of view.  He complained that no-one puts a camera on a tripod any more and some other such nonsense that I kind of tuned out as soon as he started :giggle2:  Won't stop me making him watch it again next week. :lol:

Cameras on tripods are sooo last century