Audiobooks?

Michelle

I listen to a lot of audiobooks on my drive to and from work. I used to travel by train and read on the way so audiobooks make up for the lost reading time.

I always read when I go to bed to help my mind calm down and relax, and then have an audio book playing to help me drift off to sleep. I've been listening to them since I was a child, I often woke up during the night and I'd put on a tape (Worzel Gummidge or Superted:mrgreen:) to help me get back off to sleep.

When I first got together with my wife she was used to going to sleep in silence and took a while to get used to the sound of the audiobook. Now she can't get to sleep without it:lol:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started adding a lot of audio books to my list, as well as having sight problems I find them very relaxing, especially when listening to a good reader and, lovesreading, you can get them from your library, so no added expense. I've just finished the first four of Bernard Cornwall's Saxon Series read byTom Sellwood, his voice is so remarkably right for the character that reading book five "Sword Song" (this book not yet available in audio) just isn't the same.

If you love history with a bite, tales of vikings and saxons, heroes and legends, Bernard Cornwall is a master of this genre.

Another of my favourite readers is Lorelei King reading Patricia Cornwell Scarpetta books.

• 2 weeks later...

I had trouble finding a good audio book to listen to at work when I'm doing repetitive things because sometimes the work would take me away from the book and I'd lose the story - very bad for Pratchett and Fforde where every word is critical, in my opinion. However, I discovered All Creatures Great and Small is perfect. Just a nice bunch of stories that knock around in your head and don't require a lot of thought. Interesting.

Never really enjoyed Audio books, until i got my ipod :smile2: now walking the dog etc is great, Not to mention quite times at work :lol:

I'm building up quite a library on it, plus its not costing much as i'm picking up audio book CDs from Charity shops and ebay, and adding to ipod *free* via itunes :lol:

• 10 months later...

I discovered audio books a few years ago when I had to go to the hospital for treatment one day a fortnight and sit in a chair for 6 hours hooked up to an iv. I will be eternally indebted to Stephen Fry for reading the Harry Potter books to me and keeping me entertained, sometimes sending me to sleep, and generally making the time go quickly. Since then, just the sound of his voice calms and soothes me, and I could listen to him read the back of a cornflake packet and be happy.

I have listened to audio books since then, but what I've found is that I need to have read the book before I listen to them - they're like watching a film on DVD at home in that I have to have seen the film on the big screen at the cinema to get the full effect, and the DVD is just a reminder of that first viewing.

Stephen Fry was on the Jonathan Ross show this week, and was advocating listening to audio books, as it was the only thing that kept him going while walking, which is the only exercise he can face!

Audio books are also great for my dad, who suffers from Parkinson's and is now unable to go out on his own, so gets bored during the day. He can't concentrate on a book if he reads it himself, and forgets what he has read each day, but he found that he can listen to an audio book on CD, and it has really captured his imagination, and he now gets through about 1 - 2 a week - the same number of books as I read each week! We source them through our local library, who about six months ago, increased their selection of audio books on CD, and have also started stocking mostly unabridged versions. I tend to reserve them online (at the cost of 65p per book), and then we know there will be some to collect for him as he finishes each batch. The library charge for unabridged versions to be borrowed, and that costs me

I tend to reserve them online (at the cost of 65p per book), and then we know there will be some to collect for him as he finishes each batch. The library charge for unabridged versions to be borrowed, and that costs me
Edited by Michelle

I love audio books - I'm listening to one now. I listen to them at work while I'm preparing the food for the residents. I like listening to classics - I find it easier than reading them

I discovered audio books a few years ago when I had to go to the hospital for treatment one day a fortnight and sit in a chair for 6 hours hooked up to an iv. I will be eternally indebted to Stephen Fry for reading the Harry Potter books to me and keeping me entertained, sometimes sending me to sleep, and generally making the time go quickly. Since then, just the sound of his voice calms and soothes me, and I could listen to him read the back of a cornflake packet and be happy.

I was in a similar situation, and listened to the Harry Potter books read by Stephen Fry. He does has an amazingly calming voice doesn't he? I always listen to them when I need to wind down. I wonder how he would feel if he knew people were using him to medicate their stress levels!

I started trying to listen to Northern Lights by Philip Pullman yesterday. I had high expectations as it said on the front it was read by Pullman himself. What it didn't advertise was that each character had a narrator of it's own for dialogue. I only got as far as hearing Lyra and Pantalaimon and realised there was no way I could sit through 11 hours of it....

I'm really disappointed! ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed the audio version of Northern Lights. I thought it was far better than the two sequels.

I've never tried audio books. I'm not quite sure if I should give them a try because for some odd reason I keep thinking that I'm going to lose concentration on it or get bored ;)

Hm, agreed.

I can lose concentration when I'm listening to audiobooks and sometimes have to go back a bit when I realise, but overall I think they're great for those times when it's not suitable to have a book in your hand. I enjoy listening to them on the commute to and from work and when I'm preparing veg and also when I don't fancy tiring the eyes late at night.

Just a few days ago I started listening to 'The Coffee Trader' by David Liss. The book's been on my shelf for a very long time but I never got to it, so I figured this was a good way to squeeze it in before Pearl's new book comes out in March.

I listen in the car, because I've come to hate the music stations that are in my local area and I can't stand flipping around from station to station anymore. I don't generally listen at work because I really need to concentrate on what I'm doing, which means I completely miss what's happening in the story.

Before this one I listened to The Monsters of Templeton, Life Studies and Austenland. I think I may buy the book of Templeton since I thoroughly enjoyed it ;).

I`ve never tried audio books, I`ve always preferred to read for myself, but now I`m wondering whether to give them a try. I would love to read Dickens, but in the past I`ve struggled, I`m thinking maybe audiobooks would be the answer to that problem.

I tend to listen to short stories on my way to and from work. At the moment I have Classic Tales of Ghosts & Vampires on my iPod and am loving the different stories.

I find an audiobook on the way to work takes my mind off of the stress and problems that await me there.

I've never listened to an audio book - I'm not sure whether I'd like it personally to be honest. I don't know if the narraters voice would be off-putting for me (no matter who they were). I can 'create' each characters voice in my head as I'm reading in the same way I can imagine what they look like, whereas I don't think I'd be able to do that with an audio book.

I might give one a go one day though.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone else listens to Audio books?

I've only recently started to listen to them although I've mostly listened to books I've already read. I really loved Philip Pullman reading His Dark materials Trilogy compared to Jonathan strange and Mr Norrell which seemed to drag and came across much more flat in audio than it does in book format.

The only book I've listened too that I haven't bothered to read is We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver narrated by Lorelie King. Kings emotionless narration was perfect for the cold distant Eva I got the impression that I got the fullest sense of the plot and characterisation that reading it wouldn't have added anything new to my own opinion/feelings on it.

I would love to here of other peoples likes and dislikes regarding audio books. :D

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

I like audio books but as you've said, it depends on the reading. I prefer dramatic readings of the text. When it's flat, it's hard to stay interested. It's nice when the reader puts life into the delivery, or when there's more than one voice providing dramatic readings, and not just one seemingly uninterested reader.

Edited by Capture

Well, I haven't ever listened to an audio book, so I guess I can't really judge.. however I used to think (before I joined any book forums) that audio books were just for people who couldn't read well enough to manage reading a book, or make it relaxing etc if you know what I mean. I was stunned to see so many book lovers also listening to audio books. Can't imagine it myself, I'd rather read a book any day, I'll listen to music if I want to listen to something.. Just seems weird to have someone read it to you.. I tend to get annoyed at people's voices soon too... plus an audio book is generally expensive. So I'll stick to reading myself.. but I can't say that I'll never like audio books.. since I have never tried.

It definitely depends on the narrator. Stephen Fry reading anything is wonderful, and I loved listening to audio versions of Jane Austen books by English actresses like Anna Massey and Joanna David. Simon Callow reading P.G. Wodehouse is also a perfect match.

On the other hand, I've been trying to find some of my favourite books on audio books, but I find some of the readers irritating, and don't work at all. Fortunately, being able to listen to a short sample on iTunes means I haven't wasted any money on a book I wouldn't be able to listen to.

I used to buy the Terry Pratchett books, as read by Tony Robinson, and I used to have quite a few science fiction novels on tape as well, but it's not something I've really got into on CD (I've now ditched most of my tapes).

I do have a small collection of the Big Finish Doctor Who audio adventures, but they are full cast dramatisations of original scripts, not audio versions of books (if you like classic Doctor Who, however, I thoroughly recommend them!).