Book Condition

While most of mine look a bit worn round the ages thats usually because they've been read time and time again. I am quite hard on them carting them round the place and at times cracking the spine but i generally don't fold down pages or use them as coasters for coffee mugs. However there was 1 incident where a book got accidently dropped in the bath but that was when i was much younger..... *dives for cover

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a difficult one, because although I like my books to be in pristine condition, no book stays that way for long if it is read a lot. The fact that it is a bit dogeared means it is loved. There is nothing more sad than a shiny new book on the shelf which is shiny and new(untouched) because it has never been read (I'm excluding all those in TBR lists here). Books should be loved but not abused, is what I think I'm trying to say :D

Emi226 said

Yeah, worse thing is when you're really getting into a book and you find its missing a couple of pages or you can't read some of them because they're stuck together

Especially if it's the last two pages! And I don't mind the odd pencil mark, but not great chunks all over the place, and only in ref books.

I only write in my history books, and it is more underlining the important bits. I wouldn't like it if it was all over a good novel

I think if the book belongs to you and you've written in it for study purposes, or if you've bought a secondhand book knowing it was written in, that's fair enough, but a library book that's written in is a no-no. People should have a little more respect.

I do find it quite useful when I open a non-fiction book for study purposes in the library and discover other people's notes and underlining. It can be helpful, and is great if I'm feeling lazy. However, writing in a fiction book, there is no need for that!

I do find it quite useful when I open a non-fiction book for study purposes in the library and discover other people's notes and underlining. It can be helpful, and is great if I'm feeling lazy. However, writing in a fiction book, there is no need for that!

Unless the underlinings and comments are of unimportant issues or downright wrong. Then they just distract you. Therefore, writing on library books, fiction or non-fiction, is a big no-no for me. I do write to my own books. I guess it also depends on the field of study, but at least in economics it helps to have equations broken down or derived at the margins when the text jumps some simplifications, for example. Or I may write down an example of an application of the model or theory, or something like that. But as I said, only to my own books. Then again, I have been known to buy a textbook I had from the library simply in order to be able to write to it!

I've only ever written in books for study-purposes (that includes fiction books) but I do remember realising one day that I could write in my own books - not that I ever have after that anyway. I prefer to keep my books in good condition, but a lot of the ones I own are hand-me-downs from family (cousins, mother, etc.) and have a tatty-but-loved look and feel to them. I don't mind them this way. I just try as much as possible to avoid dropping any of my books in puddles or accidentally setting them on fire, whether they're old or new.

Well I have to say, that having two young children means I keep throwing my book down where I can, forgetting about bookmarks, and either quickly throwing in whatever is to hand, or putting the book down open and flat. Katie sometimes asks for my books too, so the state of my books is terrible right now.

I am obsessive. I think it comes from having a mum who used to be a librarian...I must've rubbed off on me! I also keep all of my books neat, ordered and lovely in boxes.

You break my books' spines, I break yours.

I love that rule!

I once borrowed my friend's book, and it went back to her in precisely the same condition it came to me in.

All of my books look like new, except for one which I bought from the library for 20p and one which my friend gave me when she didn't want it any more (same friend as up there ^) and it was her who got the damage on it. Oh, and there's the one which my dad is reading. He broke the spine:irked:

I once leant one of my favourite books to my other friend Chloe. It went to her looking like new and came back dog-eared, the page edges were dirty, the spine was broken 3 times and the cover was bent over twice. I was seriously mad at her. :motz:I appreciate that accidents happen, but that to me just seems like carelessness. I now don't lend my books out (not that I did that much in the first place, but still).

Oddly, I'm not quite so bothered with library books. I mean, I'll take care of them, and I'll treat them as I treat my books if they are in a good condition, but some of them are just ruined already. It makes me sad :smile2:

Pfft to 'sharing books'. If someone wants a book I own, they can buy their own. I remember once I left a book in a friend's car and when I returned she was sat there flicking through it with the front cover bent right back so the book didn't close properly after that!

I mean - why do people do that? Don't they realise you can look at a book without breaking the spine?

If anyone's going to mess about with my books it'll be me. No-one else.

That said, I recently leant a book about Paul Hunter to a fellow snooker fan, and I got it back in excellent condition (and it was a hardback too). I knew she'd take care of it. You could tell it had been read, but there were no dogears or broken bits on the spine. No tears, stains or other damage. Natural wear and tear = good. Carelessness with my property = bad, and therefore I hurt you bad.

If I borrowed book from someone then I would return it in the same condition, but I often read while breastfeeding the baby, and it is impossible to look after a book well while feeding a baby, so my books are not looking too good at the moment.

Well if she wasn't she is insane!:welcome2::D Even my music has taken second place to my children. My cornet pratice has never taken second to anything before.

If the girls get some proper enjoyment out of my books one day, then I don't mind them looking used, as long as they are not ruined.