How many chances do you give an author?

Ronny

I'm a bit curious about how other readers handle this. How many books will you read by an author that has failed to thrill you? Do you just give them one chance, two or three? Or maybe just judge on a book by book basis? What if they seem to pull a lot of good reviews & praise?

For example, I have heard many great things about Zadie Smith so I bought 3 of her books at a used book shop and over the winter have read in this order On Beauty(I liked it best of the 3, still didn't love it), White Teeth (was ok) and the Autograph Man (really didn't like it). I also have read 3 books by Ursula Hegi during this time Stones From the River (I loved it, one of my all time favorites), Sacred Time (was ok) and The Worst Thing I've done (I really had to push myself through it) so I think had I read these books in a different order would I of given up and read no more? missing out on the 2 books I liked? There are so many authors with multiple books I want to read but have been disappointed by the books I have read, like Joyce Carol Oates, I didn't really like We Were the Mulvaneys but I still have a few more by her I wanted to read.

So what do you do in these cases? Keep trying them, casts them aside as not your cuppa? Question someone that liked the books endlessly in an attempt to understand them better (as I did with Faulkner though it did me little good).

That is a very interesting question indeed, but I do not think I have had this experince with a first book. Maybe if I had read Jane Austen's Emma before Pride and Prejudice I might not have ever picked up PP, or another of hers, but then, having seen a couple of the dramas, I may have changed my mind, and therefore not missed out.

I often think, reading posts on here, that you will never know for sure what you think of a book until you read it, or attempt to do so.

I am currently reading Out by Natsuo Kirino, which is taking a while, partly because of the demands of my daughter, and partly because the book, while very interesting and engaging, can also drag. I am not yet sure whether I would pick up another one by Kirino.

Despite a lot of rave reviews, I hated Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. It is very doubtful that I will ever bother with another one of his books. If it was just the story itself that I had a problem with, I'd probably give him another chance, but his writing style was really disappointing too and I don't think that's something that would be rectified in his other books.

That said, HarperCollins currently has the text of one of his books available on their website so I might have a skim through and see what's it's like.

Generally, though, I think I would have to take it on an case-by-case basis. Depending on just how bad the book is, I may or may not decide to give the author another chance.

I would give an author several chances. 'Brick Lane' by Monica Ali was excellent - her second book was not good but I would still look out for her next one.

I read 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith and wondered what the fuss was about but decided to give 'On Beauty' a go and enjoyed it very much.

We all have our off days :D

If I've liked one bok by an author, but not enjoyed the 2nd one, I'll give the 3rd a try, but if I don't enjoy that one, that's pretty much it unless someone highly recommends another.

I'll give most authors perhaps 2 chances. For example, I've read Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun, both by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - I didn't enjoy either of those and I will never read any of hers again - I just don't enjoy her style at all.

With me it depends on why the book failed to thrill. If I liked his/her writing style but could not get interested in the plot, I would certainly give the author more than one more chance. On the other hand, if poor writing style (or at least the kind that did not appeal to me) spoiled what was essentially a good plot, I will not go back to that writer. For example, IMO The Da Vinci Code had a good presumed plot, but poor writing style, poor narration and eventual dissipation of the plot itself ruined it for me and I'll never go back to Dan Brown. Conversely, I did not particularly like the violent thriller Red Dragon, but love Thomas Harris' writing prowess and will always read his books.

What Oblomov said makes sense.

I also think for me it depends very much on the reputation of the author and the recommendation of others.

I wasn't enamoured with my first Stephen King (Dolores Claiborne) I enjoyed the writing and the characters but perhaps found the subject matter and atmosphere a little too dark and the pace not as brisk as I would like. Knowing how other people rate him and based on recommendation here I read and loved The Stand.

I didn't like White Teeth. Again the writing was good but the characters a bit flat and unsympathetic (is that the right word? I mean I couldn't sympathise with them) but seeing what others have said on this thread I may give her another chance.

It all depends.

What Oblomov said makes sense.

I also think for me it depends very much on the reputation of the author and the recommendation of others.

I wasn't enamoured with my first Stephen King (Dolores Claiborne) I enjoyed the writing and the characters but perhaps found the subject matter and atmosphere a little too dark and the pace not as brisk as I would like. Knowing how other people rate him and based on recommendation here I read and loved The Stand.

I didn't like White Teeth. Again the writing was good but the characters a bit flat and unsympathetic (is that the right word? I mean I couldn't sympathise with them) but seeing what others have said on this thread I may give her another chance.

It all depends.

I think that is part of my problem, if I hear people talking favorably about an author, I don't want to miss out so I read some books by them. If I don't like the books I feel I'm missing something and want to find it, so I keep reading but sometimes I never do find out what all the fuss was about.

I have found Zadie Smith's characters a bit un-engaging and or flat, for me the potential is there but never realized. While they are somewhat interesting and/or realistic, they just don't act the way I want them too or make me feel much for them.

I will usually try an author 2 or 3 times if I liked the first book even a little bit, but if I hated it, I won't read anything else. After I read Demonology by PoMo author Rick Moody, I hated it so much it made me actually angry. I wrote a scathing review on Amazon, a very long review for the class I was reading it for (20 pages), and gave the book away so it wouldn't even be in my house. I definitely had a physical reaction to it!:D After an experience like that, I wouldn't ever give Moody another chance.

I agree Oblomov - I don't know what came over me - maybe curiosity but I picked up a book by Ann Widdicombe a few years ago and started to read it - it was terrible in plot, style and everything! I would not give her a second chance. :D

Celebrity Corner - Ann Widdecombe once walked across the road in front of my car. And before anyone asks - I was stopped at the traffic lights, so unlike H&D, I did give her a second chance ;)

I agree Oblomov - I don't know what came over me - maybe curiosity but I picked up a book by Ann Widdicombe a few years ago and started to read it - it was terrible in plot, style and everything! I would not give her a second chance. :D

Not sure if it was the same book but the one I picked up by her was very childlike in style.

For me it depends on the book. I mean if it's the first book I've read by that author then it wouldn't necessarily put me off reading any more from them, but I certainly wouldn't go looking for any more any time soon but if I happened to come across one in the library or something and liked the sound of it then I would probably get it out.

Where as if I've read a couple of books by the same author and didn't enjoy either of them then I'd probably avoid the others completely.

Oooh, I love Joanne Harris' books. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. :lol:

Two chances for me too.

I've loved the 2 (Five Quarters of the Orange and Sleep Pale Sister) I have read by her too and I just ordered Chocolat & Holy Fools.

Probably no more than two. I remember when Joanne Harris (author of Chocolat, Blackberry Wine) was churning out books about 5 years ago. After reading those 2 I decided that she really wasn't my cup of tea.:lol:

I loved Chocolat and Gentlemen and Players, but couldn't for the life of me get into Blackberry Wine at all. I would definitely still try others of Harris' as I enjoyed the first two so much, but the third felt like it wasn't even written by her at all - I didn't like the style in the slightest.