Aunt Bessie's Mashed Potato

Louiseog

I'm not a mash fan (creamed in American:)?) But I got this today (BOGOF) to try. Is nice and the kids love it excpet they said to use five patties per person, so I put 7 on for my two littler ones, and then I put another five on and then another 7 because it was not enough so whole pack gone! (free one left) are my children pigs or are their portions little?

If I have to eat instant mash I much prefer Mr Mash to Smash. It tastes much more natural. I'll eat instant mash if I'm ill (or tired or lazy :D) and don't have the energy to cook. But generally I love fresh mash. You just can't beat it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I like cooking as well, but at times anything for a quick fix to speed cooking times up. The Mash is good but I think is better with a hint of butter and cheese or garlic in.!! I feel sorry for Delia Smith the press have been awful to her.Regards amandah

I feel sorry for Delia Smith the press have been awful to her.Regards amandah

Have they? Why is that then?

I haven't tried the mash. I hate Smash but I imagine this is nicer as, if I'm correct, it's not reconstituted like Smash is?

If I want mashed spuds I use...brace yourselves...POTATOES!

So do I - real potatoes :hissyfit:

I've never tried Aunt Bessies mash / roast potatoes or anything else. I like to know what's in my food (no need for all these colourants -artificial or otherwise or preservatives).

I've always followed Delia, I have no idea what the press are saying, but I think that in this series she has taken things a step too far! She has probably single handledly undone alot of the recent progress that has been made. I know she wants everyone to cook - but canned mince for sheperds pie and spagbol? Wheres the quality, traceability and animal welfare in that? (And I'm not referring to the most expensive end of the market. Any decent butcher will tell you where their meats come from) ) What about local vegetables - support your local farmer or farmers market for much cheaper. Delia this time is going to deskill loads of people because "Delia says it's alright to use these products." No doubt the supermarkets are waiting to rub their hands in greed as hoardes of gullible people flock to get the next special Delia offer of the week. :motz:Yes I know that it takes time to cook - but a dinner can be on the table within 25 mins with a bit of planning - and I'm a full time working mother with a shift working husband who's often not there for the main meal, so I know all about being short of time.

I think Rick Stein, Gordon Ramsay, Gary Rhodes and James Martin (my other favourites) should go on the defensive and get out there pots and pans to make everyone want to cook again with a bit of passion (and that's coming from a Delia supporter of many years)

Phew! I feel better for that now :)

I had some Aunt Bessie's roast parsnips once when I couldn't find fresh ones - they were nice but I was very concerned about how salty they were. Things like that are ok occasionally but I do belong to the 'I like to know what's in my food' brigade.

I can't say I've watched much Delia , as I can't stand her (sorry delia), but I always cooked everything fresh, like Angel. If you plan things out, and a lot comes with habit too, a meal can be cooked very quickly. Like you Angel, I had a husband on shiftwork, and four children. I often felt that I ran a cafe and a taxi service , but the kids always had fresh cooked meals, (only the occasional convenience food) and I baked every day too. No wonder I'm so knackered now!

But I do like Aunt Bessies Roasties...as a fall back to my own:)