Hobbies

Oblomov

Do you have an Akabhan (pretty certain that spelling is a little off! :giggle2: ) near you Lilywhite? They're pretty good for a wide range of crafts from different kinds of stitching to cardmaking, to dressmaking or making soft furnishings. They also run some classes in all of the previous - but you'd need to check on that in your local area. They're online, too so give that a try. Their prices are fairly decent.

A word of warning, though, they don't give refunds even if you have a receipt and pefect goods to return! :( The best they offer is a credit note, or a "swap" for something else - usually costing the customer a bit more. So choose carefully.

Is anybody into crochet? I've just started fiddling, and though it's a lot frustrating while I'm at the practise stage, I do feel I could like this craft.

Edited by Booknutt

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have picked up quite a few hobbies since this thread started. Back at the beginning I had just gotten tropical fish (still alive and well!) but said I doubted I would go marine - I did about a year or so ago and have been so far enjoying it although it was very expensive at the start.

other new/random hobbies include:

Lockpicking

Juggling

knife throwing (still needs practice but can be rather scary if it bounces back)

Just started a banknote collection

I also got a parrot a few months back :D

Thanks for that Booknutt. We do have one but it's not that great. They only seem to do material here, although that does come in handy.

I haven't made any bracelets in ages as I lost my special pliers. I haven't replaced them yet so it's on the back burner for now. I've been concentrating on my cross stitch instead.

Beef, you have the strangest set of hobbies ever! I hope you don't do them all at once ;)

Lockpicking and juggling are both things I'd love to be able to do. I can juggle after a fashion, but not well. How do you learn to pick locks? I don't want to learn for any nefarious reasons, it would just be a cool thing to be able to do. Like getting into your car when you lock the keys inside. The tiny little padlocks are easy, they just need a poke with something sharp but I haven't mastered anything more advanced.

I love cooking and watching films, especially old screw-ball comedies.

Since I posted this back in 2007 (OMGs!) I've re-taken up cross stitch rather avidly, and now also design cross stitch and blackwork charts. :)

Lilywhite - what about trying Akabhan(that's an even worse spelling effort!) online, then? Worth the postage charges if you can get what you'd like delivered to your own front door! I'm just getting into online shopping, and could add it to my "new hobby" list. It's still spending money - but at least in comfort. :D

Beef - well done on keeping your fish alive - I lost shoals of coldwater fish before I gave it up - much to the relief of the our finny friends, I'm sure.

(Don't practise the knife throwing around the parrot will you? They're inquisitive birds! :lol: )

Hmm, before I used to have more hobbies it seems. Scrapbooking, making clothes for my dolls (boy, that was a looong time ago :lol: ), reading, drawing, making bracelets...

Nowadays I guess, other than reading, there's forums, learning foreign languages, the ocassional attempt to write poems (they mostly suck), I even wanted to learn calligraphy (even bought a book on calligraphy, but I still haven't gotten around to do that though)...There's also photography and playing the piano but I don't really consider those as hobbies.

• 1 year later...

I have a beading question and hope someone can help

a friend of mine was watching an old 70's top of the pops the other day where one of the singers was wearing a beaded hat and my friend said she would be interested in trying to make one herself. Friends birthday is coming up soon so I thought I would get her a "how to ..." book. I have been looking on the internet to see if I can find such a book and have had no luck have found places where can buy similar hats ready made.

can any beaders help me or point me in the right direction for where to look. I would even appreciate knowing what to call the hat to help in my search (I have been trying flapper hat and skull cap so far)

http://www.jumborecords.co.uk/upload/images/5031802028621.jpg here is album cover with the hat in question - I am sure it doesn't have to be this very hat but this style at least.

Well you could say I have a mixed bag of hobbies, my main three though would be gaming (consoles/pc), reading and photography. I also build models, sketch/draw - both digital and old school, paint, I co-own and help run a forum, and sometimes (but very rarely in the last year or so) I do a little scrapbooking. I used to do jewellry making, beading, longstitch and cross stitch but had to stop a few years back when It all got too painful for my hands to work with needles etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Like most things in my life my hobbies are eclectic.

- reading (naturally)

- writing

- studying (being a never-ending student can become addictive)

- astronomy

- photography

- movies (I'm a huge cinephile)

- horse riding

- hiking and camping

- canoeing and water skiing

- gaming

- and a longstanding hobby with its roots in my teenage years, drumming.

Two new hobbies to my collection; I have just taken up archery (hopefully no one will be mortally wounded in my efforts to master this newest hobby), and I shall be adding blogging in the next couple of weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

♥ reading

♥ cross-stitching

♥ drawing

♥ playing guitar

♥ singing

♥ movies (I especially love soviet movies)

♥ blogging

♥ taking long walks in the city center ( I even have my own route - galleries, old book market etc ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are:

Reading

Shooting (clay pigeon only)

Running

Weights

Eating everything I can get my hands on (I need them after all the running and weights)

World of Warcraft (sad I know)

Classical Music

Walks around my native Essex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have two I think. Reading.. and my lifes passion, Horses. I feel very honoured and humbled to be in the presence of a horse everyday. Such majestic creatures, and if someone says 'Do you own a horse?' I reply 'Nah, she owns me.'

Oh and I like learning, so am actively studying for the future!

Reading

Blogging

Writing Fiction

Surfing the Net

Painting (with Oil Painting)

Drawing

Watching Films

Photography

Listening to music

Singing in a Gospel Group (I'm not great at singing, but I enjoy it)

Now and then I crochet and knit, but that's very sporadic.

Reading

Cross Stitching

Walking

Is Cake Eating a bona fide hobby? Perhaps not .. Baking then

Blogging

Music (especially collecting old vinyl 45's)

I used to do lot's of crafts .. made my own cards all the time and did scrapbooking etc but it's tailed off a lot now because reading has taken over .. I do think this forum has had something to do with it .. shame on you you good people .. my family are receiving shop bought cards now :D