Puddings

supergran71

What seriously yummy puddings did your mother, grandmother or even great grandmother do you remember them making?

In my family I am chief syrup pudding and Christmas pudding maker. Last weekend as I made it my grandson followed the procedure and I told him what I was doing and why. He loves cooking and I think he wants to try his hand at it himself. I will have lost a job then wont I:blush:

I'm the christmas pud maker too. Mum isn't a pudding person and sadly, I never knew my grandmothers but aunty Ada made a fabulous trifle whenever I visited. I also used to love Gypsy tart at school, I made it for the first time last year and presented this culinary wonder to the family who declared it TOO SWEET!! At least my son in law Sam liked it, dear boy:friends0:

My step-gran use to make us loads of cakes for our lunch boxes, inculding a gorgeous chocolate cake (back in the days when I liked chocolate) that I never seen the like of since. My Auntie's mother has a recipe for egg custard that my Gran use to make when we were visiting.

I appear to be the family's chief pudding maker. I do a great chocolate bread and butter pudding and a lovely lemon tart that I often do together as a nice contrast.

My mother makes a fantastic tiramisu, the proper way, but it takes so long she hardly ever bothers. She is much the same with boozy trifles too and when I was growing up she made lovely treacle (syrup) tarts and suet puddings. I may have a go at a suet pudding having never done one.

Gran was never a pudding maker really but was always baking, even up until she was 96. It was only the last couple of years that she didn't bake bless her.

Chocolate bread and butter pudding sounds fabulous V. You are making my mouth water.

It is fantastic. :welcome:

It's a Delia recipe and pretty easy to make - better if made the day before and then regrigerated until putting in the oven. Then served with fresh cream. Not too sweet either as made with really good dark chocolate (I don't usually like this, I think of it as 'boy's chocolate)

What seriously yummy puddings did your mother, grandmother or even great grandmother do you remember them making?

Well, the only puddings worth mentioning I've ever really had more than few times, are the typical ones like panna cotta and crème brûlée. Both of which I love! Both maman and grand-mère did delicious desserts, but grand-mère in particular was really good at making the most delicious panna cotta. She had a "secret family recipe" I was dying to find out.

Oh, and Jell-O, of course! My friends and I made our own Jell-O and Jell-O puddings and competed in who could make it in the weirdest mould possible. I think my friend Lizzy won after using her 4-year old brother's shoe...

My mum used to bake great puds and cakes, Wednesday's was breadmaking and Saturday's was cakes, always looked forward to weekends, ginger cake, coconut sponge, eve's pudding, rice pudding, home made ice-cream and lemon merenges. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them. She also used to make her own Christmas cakes, she doesn't bother now we have all left home.

I tend to be the pudding queen ;). Christmas pudding, steamed chocolate pudding, cheesecakes, crumbles............

Well, of course if you open up the discussion to cover all desserts, and not just pudding, then it's a whole new world of wonderful treats! Gosh, I don't even know where to begin! I do adore a good cheesecake, in fact that's one of my quilty pleasures. Cheesecake and pink champagne cure anything from heartache to ennui. Anything.

I tend to be the pudding queen :D. Christmas pudding, steamed chocolate pudding, cheesecakes, crumbles............

And me! You know what I'm like with cooking deserts, as I keep saying, that kitchen of yours is no longer Tiger-free!:)