What are your favourite restaurant chains

~Andrea~

... that you eat at regularly

We quite often go to Harvester. The food is cheap and I love all the free salad :welcome:

We also eat out at Frankie and Benny's quite a lot. They often seem to have those near cinemas, so we often combine the two of an evening.

Pizza express is fab in my opinion. I like going there before a night on the town. A pizza and a couple of glasses of wine to start the evening off ... loverly. I love the soho pizza, the one with rocket leaves all piled over it.

Here in the States, I love Olive Garden (their breadsticks are to DIE for), Applebee's for their buffalo ranch chicken sandwich, and P.F. Chang's which has some of the best Chinese food in the universe.

I only remember one chain restaurant from my trip to Europe. It was the Deep Pan Pizza Company. We discovered it one day for lunch, then we went back for dinner, then had lunch there again the next day. This trip was almost 14 years ago, and it still sticks out in my mind as some of the best pizza I ever had. And you know I'm a pizza expert!

I kinda like Frankie and Benny's - it's pretty decemtly-priced and the food is good. And yes, they're often near cinemas, so it's dead handy.

Jimmy Chung's Chinese buffet is pretty good too - we have several in the Aberdeen area.

I'm not a massive fan of franchised food.

Do like Pizza Express though. Mind, you they are the original (and best) Pizza house. Shame there's none near me.

Nando's is great too for lunch.

I'd never eat in these for a meal out though. I think the only one I've ever consider a night out, and am unsure if they still exist, is the Poon's chain of Chinese restaurants

I only remember one chain restaurant from my trip to Europe. It was the Deep Pan Pizza Company. We discovered it one day for lunch, then we went back for dinner, then had lunch there again the next day. This trip was almost 14 years ago, and it still sticks out in my mind as some of the best pizza I ever had. And you know I'm a pizza expert!

That reminds me of an Italian holiday I had. We'd buddied up with an American couple and went out for a meal.

Walking down the street, deciding what to eat, the bloke says to his wife 'Hey! They have pizza here!' :lol:

He wasn't happy though as they weren't 'proper deep pan' :welcome::roll::006:

I rarely eat at the chain places, too. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did. I prefer to support independent restaurants, and not eat stuff that's been prepared according to "company policy". Then again, I'm a snob when it comes to food.

Best deep pans ever? Chicago. I can't remember the name of the place right now, but in general, that's the city to go to. Let's just put it this way: I've never gotten a pizza there that wasn't earth-shiftingly delicious.

I can't say I am a huge fan of the chain restaurants either, there are some home-style restaurants that are run and owned by locals here and I do prefer to us them. Not only is the food better, they are more careful about the people they hire and are more watchful as to cleanliness and proper food management.

O's and I like to do the Cinema/Frankie and Benny's combination. I like to do that for my birthday. And f&b's have the added bonus of doing the best Woo Woo's I've ever tasted. (just so you know, that's a cocktail with vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice and cranberry juice):welcome:

• 1 year later...

Eating out can be difficult as a wheat free pistacarean, but I find that Brewers Fayre are very good, as everything on the menu is labelled, and the salad bar at Pizza Hut is brilliant. They will do wheat free pizzas for you if you bring your own base, but you don't get a discount, so we tend not to do that, as I think it's a bit of a rip off.

The best restaurant I ever found, which is arguably a chain, since they do have a branch in Croydon as well, is the Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston upon Thames. I look forward to going there again when the Christmas park and ride starts up. :D

Frankie and Benny's are not too bad, as they do a nice risotto, but I can't stand the constant row - I wish they woudl turn their music down, or at least play some Jamie Cullum !

... that you eat at regularly

Alas I barely eat out at all, partly because I'm destitute and partly because my favourite chains from back in Liverpool don't exist in London :D! They were:

Eddie Rockets - because you can't go wrong with huge hamburgers prepared to order, milk shakes/floats made with proper ice-cream, red leather booths and real juke-boxes at every table playing awesome tunes from the '50s and '60s for a very reasonable 20p. The staff is brilliant to too; I could ask them for a "Cheeez Please with Swiss cheese, hold all veggies and pickle, extra bacon, and some mayonnaise on the side" and they'd never get it wrong - bless them.

The Tavern Co. - this Mexican chain makes THE best sticky ribs in the whole wide world (well, after my mum's), presented in a huge mound suitable for sharing when your OH is just as much of a carnivore as you are. The place is also single-handedly responsible for introducing me and getting me addicted to halloumi cheese, which I bear them eternal gratitude for.

• 4 weeks later...

I love eating at restaurants!

Nandos

Harvester

Zizzi's- Had this the other day, pollo con pesto was to die for!

Frankie and Bennys

TGI's- I've only ever had the chicken fajitas, my friends aren't too fond of this place though so rarely go.

Theres a few chinese restaurants I like too but they are independant.

And for on the go you can't beat a good KFC or McDonalds :giggle:

I quite like Pizza Express, but I wasn't very impressed when I last went in my local one a few months back, the service was poor and the pizza wasn't up to scratch either.

We have a Nandos in town as well, but I can't be arsed fighting with half a bird - if I'm paying someone to cook for me I expect them to do all the work preparing the food!

I eat at Frankie and Benny's a fair bit, the food's nice and affordable. I like San Carlo too, and that's arguably a chain, there is at least 1 more, the one in Birmingham is award winning, but doesn't get as busy as some of the other fancier restaurants so it's good to go to on special occasions. With my parents we usually either go to one of the local Indian's or to a Mediterranean place just down the road called Azari Too, but both are independent.

I absolutely love 'Bella Italia', the food is gorgeous and the one in Durham overlooks the river, its so beautiful.
I was dragged into one of these once :( however I found the coffee undrinkable and half of the dishes were spelt wrong on the menu, which didn't bode well so I ended up starving!

• 1 month later...
I absolutely love Nandos :)

Only been there once, since we don't have that in Holland (ofcourse) but I loved it. I like chicken and spicy food, so that works out well. It's perfect for when you want to eat out, but do nothing fancy. I mean, it sorta felt like McDonalds, only different. :welcome:

Here in Holland we have this chain of restaurants called Humpfrey's, they have a three course dinner for 22,50 (euros), so that's nice for when you want to do something a little fancier (before you laugh, I am not very rich hee hee, so when one dinner comes down to about 35 euros, that's fancy enough for me). They change their menu every once in a while (used to be every month) and reading through it still makes me get hungry..

http://www.humphreys.nl/files/Doc/menukaart/2010-01_en.pdf

Yummm. :) By far one of my fav restaurants here.

In truth we (OH and me) tend to go to the local independant places, but we do sometimes go to the local beefeater which serves up some nice grub and if we're in the city centre we go to The Big Wok, I'm pretty sure there's one of these in Nottingham as well, does that make it a chain?

For fast food it's got to be Burger King or KFC!

We don't eat out as much as we used to (and we did a lot when we first started going out!) but if we do we usually pop along to Waga's - the service in Norwich is really good and we love the yaki udon!

I've been to Pizza Express quite a few times over the last couple of months because there is a cinema here that does vouchers for half price pizza in the Forum, so sometimes me, R and my brother and SIL go along.