Your earliest book related memory

nicnic

I hated reading when i was little. i used to have to take a book home from school, something about piartes which didnt interest me at all and my dad would fall asleeep to my monotonous reading voice when i was about 5-7.

the only book i remeber reading wasthe secret seven in the back of the car one summer holiday. its the only book i enjoyed.

then when i was about 16 my mum gave me a catherine cookson to reads which took me forever but it was amazing and is still a favourite. it was called "The cultured handmaid".

i managed to do an english a level with out personally reading a book, i just made notes on the handmaids tale which was brilliant. Then when i went to collage i had no tv and a friend of mine was a good reader so he loved book shops. i went in with him one time and came across a front cover i liked and bought it. it was angelas ashes. it took me 6 wks but when i got to the end i was so pleased with myself and never stopped reading books since then.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have vague memories of picture books from very early childhood, certainly before my 4th birthday. I had a hernia operation in October 1959 - a month before my 4th birthday - and I recall a family friend giving me a picture book to read while I was still in hospital.

We moved to Bangalore (which effectively became my hometown for the next 25 years) in July 1960 and I have a very good recollection of the arrival of a local monthly children's story magazine called Chandamama (a poetic term for the moon). It was on a subscription that the previous tenants of the house cancelled too late so that the last issue on their bill arrived anyway. My cousin and I loved it and persuaded the adults to continue the subscription, which we did for the next 22 years!

I think it was a gift and I was very young although I could read so maybe 5-6 years old. I had a treasury of poems by Robert Louis Stevenson which was a hard back and beautifully illustrated. I read those poems over and over. There was one called 'The Highwayman'. I have no idea where that book went.

OH OH OH Mummy's favourite poem!! Have a look at the thread on "favourite poet". I think it was me who gave you that book dear daughter!! because I remember it too:friends0:

I remember reading 'The Blind men and the Elephant' again & again when I was little. I also remember a comic that had a story about a little girl 'nurse Susan' who ran a doll's hospital [so that's what influenced my career choice!]

One of the first books I actually remember is sitting w/ my Dad on the couch and reading A Wrinkle in Time. We would read it on the weekends before I would go to bed since he worked nights, and I don't quite remember if we finished it or not but it really turn me into a book-aholic

One of the first books I actually remember is sitting w/ my Dad on the couch and reading A Wrinkle in Time. We would read it on the weekends before I would go to bed since he worked nights, and I don't quite remember if we finished it or not but it really turn me into a book-aholic

Megan doesnt that emphasise the importance of introducing books at a very young age, even as babies, reading to them before they go down for the night.

I have read a lot of things that say reading to babies gives them a love of reading even just sitting each day and turning the pages. I think it is important to let the baby guide how fast or slow you go through books though, and how much detail you go into. It is amazing to think that just letting Katie hold and look at books might one day mean she loves reading. She certainly loves looking at them.

I am not sure how my Mum got me reading. I will have to ask her, but she has always told me that at age two I could read big print words in newspapers.

I totally agree. Kenny and I read quite a bit together. He's started on chapter books and we usually read one chapter a night, maybe two if he's being good. Eris my 1 1/2 year old loves to sit and babble while he is looking at books. I know I was read to earlier but the Wrinkle in Time is one of those special fond memories I have with my dad and I think that really is why I started the tradition with my boys. I think I was probably 5 or 6 when we started that book. But it got me hooked. Daddy did a good job ;)

• 5 months later...

I was posting a reply on another thread about books at school and it brought up a lot of memories that I just had to share. :D

In my final year of primary school I was selected to be a Library Monitor, which was a role given to maybe half a dozen students who had to write and apply for the job. Those of us chosen got a letter of acceptance and a shiny blue badge with Library Monitor written in gold, both of which I'm sure I still have to this day!

The job meant I got to play librarian at lunchtimes, signing books out for the other kids. I was also one of a chosen few selected to attend a high-falutin' literary luncheon held with a bunch of children's authors and illustrators and students from other schools. I got some autographs and everything but I don't recall knowing who many of the authors were :gl:.

• 1 month later...

I remember my mother reading Aesop's Fables, a large orange version to me and, oh I can't remember the name, but it was a book of fairy in the garden stories, a very large, beautiful deep shade of green it was too. I can still see some of the pictures/illustrations from it to this day. I hardly remember time I couldn't read as I seemed to pick it up almost by osmosis. :blush: B)

I remember reading Aesop's Fables as well! I also used to love reading most Enid Blyton series, and I very often used to have the old torch on under the bed covers at night, reading a bit more. But my very earliest memory is sitting in the back room with my dad, reading Peter and Jane books, when he was teaching me to read.

Every time I did not wet my bed I was allowed a book. The Enchanted wood Trilogy was the ones I read time and again. I was given some very good books when I was a child as my family knew I would look after them.

Encylopedias were also my favourites but now children use the internet!

I had loads of Factual books which I still treasure even now. the Look and Learn Annuals were always looked for at Christmas and Birthdays, every Christmas I would get Whizzer and Chips Annual and either and the Beano and Dandy I still have all these too.

I remember my Mom always taking me to the library when I was little. She'd let me take out as many books as I wanted and when we got home she'd sit and read to me for hours.

My favorite book my Mom read to me when I was little was the Amelia Bedelia series by Peggy Parish.

It's not my earliest memory, but it is my nicest childhood book memory.

I was at infants school and I was taught by a teacher how to hold a book and turn it's pages so I didn't damage it. Then I was the only one who was allowed to read The Wind In The Willows. The copy had beautiful pictures of Toad, Rat, Mole and all the characters and I can remember looking at wonder at the beautiful book and wishing with all my heart that I could have one of my own one day.

I dont think it is my earliest memory but certainly one of the fondest is sitting in the back of the car on the way to my aunts (400+ miles, seems like 40000 as a child) and reading the Secret diary of Adrian Mole the whole way, every time I think of childhood and books thats instantly what I remember, good times.