Literary villainesses

KEV67

Inspired by Milady from The Three Musketeers, submit your best literary villainesses. Mine are:

Milady - The Three Musketeers

Barbara Covett - Notes from a Scandal

Becky Sharp - Vanity Fair

Miss Haversham - Great Expectations 

I cannot think of any others right now, but I may update my list.

There were often villainesses in Raymond Chandler books. Often it was the beautiful woman who hired him in the first place. Think white gloves, think cigarette holder. This was not actually very original of Chandler because the her prototype was Brigid O' Shaughnessy in the Maltese Falcon by Dashiel Hammet, unless he pinched the idea from someone. I am guessing Brigid O' Shaughnessy was of Irish extraction, although that was not germane to the plot.

Cruella De Vil comes to mind but she's more a cartoon than anything else. The Wicked Witch of the West, from Wizard of Oz is also somewhat cartoonish/fantasy. There is Lady Macbeth from Shakespeare's Macbeth. My favourite would be The Snow Queen from Hans Christian Andersen - she stole a child how villainish is that?

On 6/24/2023 at 5:24 PM, KEV67 said:

Inspired by Milady from The Three Musketeers, submit your best literary villainesses. Mine are:

Milady - The Three Musketeers

Barbara Covett - Notes from a Scandal

Becky Sharp - Vanity Fair

Miss Haversham - Great Expectations 

I cannot think of any others right now, but I may update my list.

I wouldn't describe Becky Sharp as a villaness, more of an absolute survivor, though I grant you she's thoroughly devious and always prepared to backstab but she does have redeeming points.

6 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Cruella De Vil comes to mind but she's more a cartoon than anything else.

Have you read 101 Dalmatians? My children loved me reading it to them, it's very funny, and Cruella was a much more rounded figure than in the film - she was expelled from school for drinking ink and all her food tastes of pepper but she was a real villaness, totally focused on what she wanted.

I didn't enjoy Gone Girl but the wife, was she called Amy?,  was a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

Most stepmothers in fairy tales are cast as villanesses, Goneril and Regan from King Lear might qualify or are they just thoroughly greedy and unpleasant?

23 hours ago, KEV67 said:

There was Livia, Emperor Augustus's wife, in I Claudius by Robert Graves. She was evil. There were a number of villainesses in those books.

Messalina being probably the greatest villaness of them all.