Continue the story.....

39 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Hi Poppy and itsmeagain. I'm not feeling well so I'll bow out of this, temporarily, as inspiration (if I ever had any!) has deserted me and I don't feel like struggling with it. 

WILL be back, sooner than later (it's nothing serious, just feeling a bit meh). Please carry on in the meantime without me, I very much look forward to seeing where the story goes.

You've been great Luna. Only poppy and myself,  over the years, have kept these ludicrous stories going, we had a Germany based Brit named OlderFish for a while, 7 years ago,but mainly me and popsicle. You, Luna,bucked the trend, you have been amazing. 😃 😀 

Edited by itsmeagain
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Hi Poppy and itsmeagain. I'm not feeling well so I'll bow out of this, temporarily, as inspiration (if I ever had any!) has deserted me and I don't feel like struggling with it. 

WILL be back, sooner than later (it's nothing serious, just feeling a bit meh). Please carry on in the meantime without me, I very much look forward to seeing where the story goes.

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well, Luna and really hope you'll be better soon. Just love your Continue the story contributions, we'll miss you 😥

Come back soon ... big hugs 😘 xx

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poppy said:

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well, Luna and really hope you'll be better soon. Just love your Continue the story contributions, we'll miss you 😥

Come back soon ... big hugs 😘 xx

Aw thank you Poppy. I saw the doctor yesterday and he says it's not serious but requires blood tests. I fully intend to be back as soon as possible.

• Like 2

sat an old man known as Bodger Hardman, Bodger cos he was a handyman of high repute, Hardman since he was very tough. Indeed, his brash, angry demeanour  belied a sweeter temperament, namely a liking for the works of Daphne du Maurier, sipping Cabriolet, and listening to punk rock. He saw my bag of books..

and started bouncing up and down and getting excitable. At first I thought he might be under the influence of some illegal substance which had an agitating affect and I started to back away slowly, but ...

Edited by poppy

no, Bodger was a book aficionado,  and proud of that. Pulling out a packet of Gauloises tobacco, rolling a fag, and lighting it, he opined, 'we in our family love France. DeBussy, Rousseau, Poirot...'

A portly bloke with soup stained clothes chimed in with, 'Bodger, Poirot was a Belgian , moit..e was , aye', looking at me for affirmation. I 

nodded but thought I'd appease him by saying it was easy to confuse the two. 

'I've got a couple of Victor Hugos here in very good nick and a Madame Bovary if you're interested?'

By now a little group of onlookers had gathered, all requesting their favourite authors. Little did I know that I'd accidentally, and very fortuitously as it happened, stumbled onto a ...

branch of the Book Lover, Inc.,  a charity sending thousands of unwanted books abroad, to libraries,  schools, refugee camps, and prisons, all to assist people to love books.

'I'm after WEB DuBois, Black Man Emancipation , 1905', said a thin youth with a gold tooth , pirate ear rings, and a plastic watch. 'It's actually....

Edited by itsmeagain

been banned in 59 countries on six continents ... it never made it to Antarctica.'

'Something to do with the spelling was it?' I asked. 'Sorry, it's not one I've come across. But I do have The Manly Art of Flower Arranging by Florian Blossom if you're interested?'

Picaroon Freebooter thought he'd ...

• Haha 1

interject, pointing out with a wry smile, that  Mallory Looroll produced a compendium of flower arranging stories, Tales from The Stalk and  the Stamen, still on sale for  a fiver in his local Tesco.

'Can we get down to business?', I asked, hoping 

Edited by itsmeagain

well ... to get down to business really. These digressions into cheap Tesco books was not a direction I was anxious to pursue. I cleared my throat, 'Ahhumm, how about we clear a table and I lay my collection out for your perusal?'

The gathered assemblage ...

groaned their assent, I tipped out my books onto a table with an old plastic 1975 vintage tablecloth, fetchingly decorated with a montage of dogs and books. How sweet, I thought, as a girl announced herself as 'Rosie Flowers..pleased to meet you', her hand extended in greeting. ' I see you are big on Dickens and travel', she remarked, thumbing  Riding the Iron Rooster, by Paul Theroux. 'Have you ever...

Edited by itsmeagain

travelled Mr ....?'

'Call me Johnny,' I said, giving her my most winning smile which unfortunately came off as a lecherous leer. Rosie Flowers didn't seem to notice.

'Oh yes, I'm a veritable globetrotter me. A gypsy wayfarer, intrepid explorer of the most far-flung outreaches. Student of the world's university. I've journeyed from the deserts of Morocco to the depths of the Gondwana rain forest. From deepest dark Antarctica in midwinter to Krakatoa Island.' This was a wee bit of an exaggeration,  I hadn't actually visited any of these places, but I prided myself on my vivid imagination.

'Gosh,' she said.

'Would you like to join me for a drink and I can regale you with my adventures?'

'Golly, I ...

would like that,' she said, framing for the quickest hug in world history,but instead proffering her hand again, a radiant smile  really prominent. 

'My daddy used to travel on business to China and Ecuador..business', she cooed, ' but a man of the world,much older than me.. well that's someone I'd..share a cup of chai with at any time.'

Oblivious to any such matters, the crowd of book lovers stood thumbing books by Trollope, Collins, and  Christie, until a balding bloke in his 20s asked, 'do you have this in Chinese?' 

The book was 'How to succeed in Business and romance', by Dillon Kingfisher.

I said I have no facility to translate things into Chinese, when Rosie ......

piped up, 'Golly Gosh, I speak Chinese, my Daddy taught me after all his trips to China. I could translate for you?'

Balding bloke looked her up and down, taking in the horn-rimmed glasses, hand-knitted cardy and beige velcro shoes. 

'Thanks ... but no thanks,' he replied. Obviously had delusions of adequacy.

I thought she was sweet, so gathering up my books, I took her arm and we ...

• Haha 1

wandered to a nearby cafe for tea and crumpets with marge and Marmite.

'So,what interests you in an older bloke like me?', I ventured, looking at her pretty, make up free face.

'Oh well, you have the most AMAAAzing salt and pepper hair, you love the books of Paul Theroux, you dress well, and you donate to a cat charity, which I see as being entirely spiffing, daddy used to..'

'How do you know about a 🐈 charity?', I asked, suddenly alarmed.'Oh, the universe informs me of sooo much dear John, you know  I feel that by 2033 we will all be actually living in our office space, such is the need for capital to .....'

My mind shifted to weighing up my options here, whether I 

Edited by itsmeagain

stay, as she was rather fetching, her velcro shoes reminding me of what a sheltered, lovely, educated, eccentric lady could be like, and my, do I like that.

Ordering an ice cream sundae for her, and onion and chilli uttapam for my good self, we talked of her plans for the future,

which included starting a stray cat cafe, having a mobile pushbike library and being a paranormal investigator. I told her blow me down if my plans weren't exactly the same! She couldn't believe it and became quite excited.

'Golly Gosh, and Goodness Gracious! Do you think we could ...

start work upon John and Rosies book and cat cafe..daddy has a ton of surplus books, I have enough cash to buy an average sized aeroplane, you have enough cats and sufficient spuds to make chips til the next millennia...

Edited by itsmeagain

'Don't forget lashings of hot sweet tea!' I interrupted.

'Golly, that goes without saying!' she said. 'We'll stock a small selection of Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Lapsang souchong, Black, White, Green, Herbal, Pepperment, Darjeeling, Hibiscus, Chamomile, Breakfast, Ginger and of course my very favourite ...

• Haha 1

finding this difficult to believe.

'Golly gosh, no! And I'm a firm believer in wearing a sola topee, Daddy always wore one on his travels and never once had sun sickness even when he went out in the midday sun. Locals called him a mad dog, which was very rude. Daddy never once had rabies and he put that down to ...

a penchant for a fine, raw, ethnically clean Scottish malt, McLachlan of Dumfries finest whisky. Never gave daddy a problem , but moi,je prefer  strong green tea, or Japanese cherry,, there's an outlet down in Shepherds Bush, should you wish to come along,  I have also seen ...'.

..I mused privately, what is this ethnically clean whisky..?..Is ...

it, I surmised, made by freshly showered, kilted and sporraned burly Scots? My mind was wandering into the intricacies of Scotch making accompanied by bagpipes playing Another Whisky In the Jar,  when Rosie interrupted my reverie to ask again if I wanted to join her at the tea house.

'Do they have Yorkshire tea, strong, hot and sweet?' I asked. It was at least an hour since my last cup and I could feel a weakness creeping into my ...