Random Chat

muggle not

3 hours ago, muggle not said:

My Granddaughter lives in NYC and over the weekend traveled up state to visit Sleepy Hollow. Washington Irving is buried there. 

He is the author of the Classic "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" (Ichabod Crane & The Headless Horseman) as well as Rip Van Winkle. I have posted a couple photos my GD sent of the Cemetary where he is buried. He wrote short stories and those 2 became a Classic.

The photo that includes a lot of headstones shows the one of Washington Irving. Enlarge the photo and his is the photo between 2 American flags.

It's lovely your Granddaughter shares your love of books, Muggle, must make you so happy 😊 

I'm very pleased that our two grandchildren love reading (10 and 8 ) and littlie 3 loves her books too. 

Edited by poppy
  • Like 2

My grandson (1 today) was at his library story hour yesterday when the librarian started reading from a book he loves that he has at home. With a squawk of rage (my daughter's words) he rushed over and tried to seize the book! My daughter had to explain to him that books come in more than one copy and his was still at home.

• Haha 3

Our neighborhood has its own website, Last night was Halloween and the kids went "trick or treating". One of the neighbors has a doorbell video and it showed one of the kids doing a good deed. I copied some posts from the website that shows how nice kids can be.

Anyone recognize this young lady? 3 blind mice maybe? I would like her parents to know of good deed that she decided was “something kind to do” after earlier visitors emptied our bowl (after only 7 trick or treaters). Made me smile when she decided to share her candy so our bowl was not empty. Message me if you know her!

can I just tell you…my heart was full when I watched the video. She saw an empty bowl and shared some of her own candy and when her friend asked her why, she responded that it was just something nice to do. Her parents should be proud and give her a hug for me!! Raising kids right in this day and time is hard work, they are making it look easy!!

You sharing this means a lot to us. Sarah didn’t even mention this to us when she got home. I’m so proud of her! Thank you!

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I learnt a new word today - Tsundoku is the Japanese word for the stack of books you've purchased but haven't yet read.

I guess that would apply to a few of us here!

I love my tsundoku 😄

It’s nice to see so much nice and fun stuff on here. I currently have the worst cold. Luckily I’ve finished work early (not intentionally, it just worked out that way!), so I’m looking forward to curling up with my book now. 

I thought you’d all appreciate this too though. St Pancras station has a book tree this Christmas. Apparently there are little reading nooks underneath it, which you can sit in and it plays a Christmas story to you 😄

IMG_3054.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hayley said:

I love my tsundoku 😄

It’s nice to see so much nice and fun stuff on here. I currently have the worst cold. Luckily I’ve finished work early (not intentionally, it just worked out that way!), so I’m looking forward to curling up with my book now. 

I thought you’d all appreciate this too though. St Pancras station has a book tree this Christmas. Apparently there are little reading nooks underneath it, which you can sit in and it plays a Christmas story to you 😄

IMG_3054.jpeg

That is really neat.

Saw the tree today and it's brilliant, the nooks look really cosy and every one was occupied! In fact there was a really nice atmosphere around there.  Some of the "books" are actually lights, and it's narrower than it looks in the photo,I love the staircases as well.

I did go into Hatchards as well, but they didn't have the book I was looking for. Nice shop though, with some lovely book-themed tote bags.

Edited by Madeleine
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Saw the tree today and it's brilliant, the nooks look really cosy and every one was occupied! In fact there was a really nice atmosphere around there.  Some of the "books" are actually lights, and it's narrower than it looks in the photo,I love the staircases as well.

That sounds so lovely. I did wonder whether some of the books were lights! I would like a miniature version for my house :giggle2:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2023 at 11:25 AM, Madeleine said:

Great idea! 

Where the nooks are around the base you could have a little button to press and each one would still play the audiobook of a short Christmas story 😄.

I finally got around to putting up Christmas decorations today (though none as cool as the idea above). I’ve been ridiculously busy for the last few weeks and now I think I’m getting a cold, but at least I got to feel festive today! 

On a related note, I have discovered that I hate doing self-assessment tax returns 🥲

• 1 month later...

I think this is absolutely beautiful:

"The best way to know life is to love many things."
- Vincent van Gogh
(art: Naoko Stoop)

image.png

Edited by muggle not
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, muggle not said:

I think this is absolutely beautiful:

"The best way to know life is to love many things."
- Vincent van Gogh
(art: Naoko Stoop)

image.png

I love cosy pictures like this 🥰

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
The legendary Doc Watson would have been 101 yrs old today. My wife and I were in attendance for his 65th Birthday many years ago. We were sitting about 10 feet away from him while he played his guitar and sang. One of my favorites of his:

Doc Watson - Shady Grove
Edited by muggle not
  • Like 1

Very nice banjo playing!

16 hours ago, muggle not said:
The legendary Doc Watson would have been 101 yrs old today. My wife and I were in attendance for his 65th Birthday many years ago. We were sitting about 10 feet away from him while he played his guitar and sang. One of my favorites of his:

• 1 month later...