World Cup 2022

Hux

For those not aware, the World Cup was moved to the winter because it's taking place in Qatar (which is hotter than the sun).

Let's ignore those human rights abuses, the anti LGBT culture, the death of migrant workers (that would only depress us). And instead, let's focus on the festival of football which starts on 20th November. 

A thread for commenting on the games.

Winner: Argentina 

Top Scorer: Messi

For past World Cups I have taken the entire competition off work and usually watch every game but I just can't get excited about this competition so far. It's at a totally wrong time of year and the location is just proof of the corruption than runs through FIFA. Injuries always play part but we seem to be losing high profile players at a much quicker rate than previous years.

Although they have already lost Pogba, Kante, and possibly Varane, I think France will be my pick for winners. 

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

I wonder how many people will boycott it this year. My boyfriend loves football but even he has said he doesn’t feel like he wants to watch it. 

That said, the World Cup in South Africa 2010 was the cause of huge homelessness, shanty dwellings demolished to make way for the stadiums etc. 

Brazil 2014, many building workers died in the  construction of the stadiums. 

On 11/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, itsmeagain said:

That said, the World Cup in South Africa 2010 was the cause of huge homelessness, shanty dwellings demolished to make way for the stadiums etc. 

Brazil 2014, many building workers died in the  construction of the stadiums. 

Did people boycott the 2010 one? I remember there being big protests and calls to boycott in 2014. I don’t know how much of an impact it made though.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I was out as well, though someone had a google alert on her watch with updates.  Not really surprised.  But they're still for the most part a young team, with potential.

My main worry going forward has to be the central defenders. We have good depth pretty much everywhere else on the pitch but the defenders are aging and there aren't really any younger ones waiting in the wing to take their places. Maguire and Stones were good enough this tournament but once you go beyond those two there is a big drop in quality in the current squad. I don't think either of them are top top tier defenders but they have exceeding expectation in this world cup in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...