Your Book Activiy - October 2022

lunababymoonchild

52 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just bought, Two Maigrets and a Hans Fallada on Kindle : Félicie: Inspector Maigret #25, Maigret's Memoirs: Inspector Maigret #35, Alone in Berlin

Alone in Berlin is an all time favourite of mine. I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it. 

• Like 1

Just finished The Trees by Percival Everett. It may not have won the Booker last night, but it is a superb, increasingly absurdist satire that had me hooked from start to finish. I have already bought one of his other books. 5 out of 6 stars. 

I have just completed the five young adult books that make up Rick Riordan's 'Trials of Apollo'. A rollicking romp through Greek and Roman myths, legends, gods and monsters, heroes and demigods. Perfect reading for me right now.

Made a start on Jasper Fforde's 'The Last Dragon Slayer', the first of four books. Not sure I will carry on with it for now, as it's not holding my attention as i hoped it might. I need easy escapism at the moment, something with humour and a light touch. I shall have to rummage around on my kindle and bookshelves and see what grabs me. 

• Like 1

Currently just over halfway through my umpteenth re-read of all the John Mortimer 'Rumpole' books/stories. Like Jeeves & Wooster, Rumpole typifies a version of Britain that does not exist, but which is a nice place (in print) where the good people usually triumph.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 11:33 PM, Chrissy said:

Made a start on Jasper Fforde's 'The Last Dragon Slayer', the first of four books. Not sure I will carry on with it for now, as it's not holding my attention as i hoped it might.

Oh that's a shame! I want to read that one too. Have you read Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge? I remember thinking that had a good balance of gripping but gentle/ easy escapism. 

I have finished The Old Curiosity Shop and started In A Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu.

Just been trying to read An Honest Deceit by Guy Mankowski for a book group. Not a book, or indeed author, that I've come across before, and TBH am absolutely mystified why Bradford Libraries would include this in their book group reading list.  The writing is horribly overwrought, and the grammar/orthography dire.  Some examples of the latter from early pages:

....and so Marine, with her sandy nose, looks me

She belonged to Juliette and I

I didn't have enough information to ruminate with

I saw that my she was still swimming

La Clare De La Lune

each of whom were

Punctuation is all over the place - not just misleading at times, but inconsistent.  All in all, an editorial disaster.  I've given up.  1 star.

On 10/25/2022 at 11:33 AM, Chrissy said:

I have just completed the five young adult books that make up Rick Riordan's 'Trials of Apollo'. A rollicking romp through Greek and Roman myths, legends, gods and monsters, heroes and demigods. Perfect reading for me right now.

So glad you found something you enjoyed to read, Chrissy. Helps get over the fear of completely losing your reading mojo 🥰

On 10/26/2022 at 8:53 PM, timebug said:

Currently just over halfway through my umpteenth re-read of all the John Mortimer 'Rumpole' books/stories. Like Jeeves & Wooster, Rumpole typifies a version of Britain that does not exist, but which is a nice place (in print) where the good people usually triumph.

I read several of his Rumpole books years ago and enjoyed them immensely. He writes very humorously. I have his autobiography Clinging to the Wreckage, which I must get round to reading.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, Hayley said:

Oh that's a shame! I want to read that one too. Have you read Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge? I remember thinking that had a good balance of gripping but gentle/ easy escapism. 

I should clarify that I have read the series previously, with the exception of the last one, so was planning on zipping through them to get to the final book with the story and characters firmly in my head! I LOVE the series, and look forward to doing as planned, just at a later stage. :)  I will definitely be looking up Fly By Night though. Thank you for the recommendation. 

19 minutes ago, poppy said:

So glad you found something you enjoyed to read, Chrissy. Helps get over the fear of completely losing your reading mojo 🥰

Trying to be sensitive to the needs of my temperamental reading mojo, but boy it's a chore sometimes. :D 

With this in mind, I decided on a detour into non-fiction, so am currently reading 'Shadowlands - A Journey Through Lost Britain' by Matthew Green. It was 99p on a kindle deal, and the first sentence of the blurb mentioned two 'lost' places I have visited and been intrigued by; Skara Brae, located on Orkney, and Wharram Percy a deserted medieval village in North Yorkshire. How could I NOT buy it.

I also bought a recommended kindle version of Chaucer's 'The Canterbury Tales', plus a paperback version onto which I intend on making notes. The thought of reading this has been in my mind for absolute years, so I decided to get what I needed for when I am ready to dive in!

This weekend is more of a paperwork weekend, so I will be sticking with suguru number puzzles and a cryptic crossword. That'll keep my brain busy!

Started reading The Omen. Spawned (literally) scary movies for TV during the seventies, which looking back on it I shouldn't have been allowed to watch. 

I'm not sure I'll stick with Hangsaman, Shirley Jackson. It's not holding my interest.

Edited by lunababymoonchild
Altered confusing sentence structure

22 hours ago, Hux said:

Just bought... 

The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner

The Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison

Geek Love - Katherine Dunn

Read The Sound and the Fury in  BGO group read, got The Invisible Man and got halfway through Geek Love and gave up.

Just finished The Omen. Old fashioned by today's standards but a great book

• Brian. unpinned this topic

Finished Mary Colwell's Curlew Moon in the last hour of the month!  The story of the author's walk across Ireland, Wales and England, visiting curlew sites and activists working on trying to turn the tide that has seen this species' numbers crash in the past couple of decades - by over 95% in places.  Extinction of the species in lowland Britain is seriously on the cards before the end of the decade - not really surprising given my own experience locally where the local authority has readily given permission for yet more building on green belt that is prime curlew (and other wader) feeding territory - not even an attempt at mitigation for any aspect of wildlife of any sort.  It's only going to get worse too.

Beautifully written book.  5 stars out of 6.