What Are You Watching 2022

Hux

Just realised I posted on the 2021 thread, so here's a new one.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

I gave up on Discovery after season two. Just awful. I stuck with Picard because I like so many of those characters (but it was even worse).

So far, Strange New Worlds has been... not too bad. They're exploring space, visiting aliens, and dealing with ethical dilemmas at least

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've recently had a hankering for the sort of old british TV I watched as a kid so I subscribed to Britbox. To my surprise I found a recently made TV show with a name familiar to me, Karen Pirie. For those who don't know Karen Pirie is the main character in a crime series written by Val McDermid. It's a series which I really enjoyed reading so I watched the show with a bit of worry about how it would be. I have been pleasantly surprised to be totally honest. It's not great and there are some bits of acting which probably should have been re-shot but on the whole it's been good. The casting of both Karen Pirie and Jason Murray is spot on with both actors really doing their characters justice. So far there are only 3 episodes which forms a mini season covering the first book, A Distant Echo. Hopefully they decide to carry on as I think they've done a decent job.

1 hour ago, Brian. said:

So far there are only 3 episodes which forms a mini season covering the first book, A Distant Echo.

I saw this advertised but avoided watching it as I have only ever read the first book in the series and didn’t want to be spoiled, but after seeing your post about the episodes only covering book one it seems I can go ahead and watch it after all.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been binge watching Shetland recently and I'm really enjoying it. I didn't realise that they are based on books until after I had watched the first episode and by that point there was no point in stopping. The 3 main police characters are really good and I think that Tosh is superbly played by Alison O'Donnell.

Shetland is very different from the books, Tosh doesn't appear in the books and after the first few episodes they ignored the books altogether!  A shame as some of the books have really good stand along storylines.  Cassie is much younger in the books as well.

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Shetland is very different from the books, Tosh doesn't appear in the books and after the first few episodes they ignored the books altogether!  A shame as some of the books have really good stand along storylines.  Cassie is much younger in the books as well.

I did have a feeling that when they moved to a 6 episode season they had moved away from the books. I’m quite happy to hear the books are different as that means I can read them without knowing too much about the plot etc. Shame about Tosh not being in the books though.

14 hours ago, Brian. said:

I've been binge watching Shetland recently and I'm really enjoying it. I didn't realise that they are based on books until after I had watched the first episode and by that point there was no point in stopping. The 3 main police characters are really good and I think that Tosh is superbly played by Alison O'Donnell.

I loved the TV series too.

Tosh was my favourite character and Ann Cleeves said,

"I am deeply jealous that I didn't create Tosh. I might write a series of novels just about Tosh!"

Edited by poppy

Just finished the final series of the Spanish drama 'Money Heist'. Complex and twisting narrative with many flashbacks that put a different spin on some of what you think you know! Huge cast of characters, most of who you get the back-story of (but not all) with a tense atmosphere that covers the two robberies that take place within the story. For diffferent reasons,the streaming service I watched it on had  the original Spanish soundtrack on series 1 to 4, with subtitles,and then series 5 was dubbed with mainly US accents!

I love Shetland, and having visited a few times, it's great to be able to say "We know that house / road / beach!" 

It speaks well of Ann Cleeves to say she is jealous of the inclusion of Tosh. And Tosh is such a Ann Cleeves type character too! It was nice to read that Steven Robertson who plays Sandy is a Shetlander.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m currently watching Blue Bloods and have just finished season 1; really enjoying it so far. Even though they are currently on season 13 and so I have plenty of episodes to watch, I’m pacing myself and am only watching 1-2 episodes at a time.

3 hours ago, Kudz said:

I’m currently watching Blue Bloods and have just finished season 1; really enjoying it so far. Even though they are currently on season 13 and so I have plenty of episodes to watch, I’m pacing myself and am only watching 1-2 episodes at a time.

I dip in and out of this show, it is very classy and well acted ,though sometimes it can take itself a bit too seriously.  

Just finished watching the 2nd series of The White Lotus, I didn't see the first series which apparently was heaped with awards.  Well I don't think this one will be, yes it was well acted and looked fabulous but that was about the best I can say about it, apart from that it was pretty much 7 hours (which I will never get back) of tedium.

• 2 weeks later...