Hello

finrod

Hi, I've just joined. My reading interests are varied - one of my preferred contemporary writers is Cormac McCarthy, who I'd rate as one of the foremost authors in the English language. I also like James Fenimore Cooper, and historical novelists such as Henry Treece, Robert Graves, Alfred Duggan, Mary Renault, Walter D Edmonds, Kenneth Roberts and Cecelia Holland. I like some Science Ficton, including Kurt Vonnegut (especially the earlier stuff), Dune and the recent prequels, and also Venus on the Half-Shell by Kilgore Trout aka Philip Jos

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Don't hesitate to jump in on the conversations, but consider yourself warned. This place is addictive and your TBR pile will get out of hands in no time!

hello finrod and bluetimmy!!!! welcome to the friendliest place to talk about books and everything related to books- you'll have a good time here- enjoy~!!!! - carm

hello finrod and bluetimmy!!!! welcome to the friendliest place to talk about books and everything related to books- you'll have a good time here- enjoy~!!!! - carm

aww cheers Carm :readingtwo:

yes it seems very nice here, this is my first actual forum i've joined properly. I'm going to try and not get too addicted haha

Does anyone know any quirky books that I can ask for, for christmas? i'm thinking something like the film "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"...i find amazon hard to find stuff sometimes!

tim

Welcome Finrod and Tim! Nice to see more men joining up. :readingtwo: Finrod, the only Vonnegut I've read so far is Slaughterhouse-Five. What would you recommend that I read next?

Tim, I've been wracking my brain trying to think of something but haven't had any success yet! Eternal Sunshine was certainly one of a kind. I hope someone else can help you more.

:readingtwo: to the forum, Finrod (and Tim too, since you've popped into this thread! :blush:). I hope you'll enjoy it here.:readingtwo:

Finrod - I'm embarrassed to say I haven't ever read any of those authors, so you'l have to recommend a few to start with so I can remedy that!

Tim - I'm sure you'll soon come up with some requests for your wish list hanging around here - try checking out the Book Logs and Reviews sections, as well as the Reading Circles, and I'm sure you'll soon have a list as long as your arm!

Welcome Finrod and Tim! Nice to see more men joining up. :readingtwo: Finrod, the only Vonnegut I've read so far is Slaughterhouse-Five. What would you recommend that I read next?

Tim, I've been wracking my brain trying to think of something but haven't had any success yet! Eternal Sunshine was certainly one of a kind. I hope someone else can help you more.

thanks for the welcome kylie :readingtwo:

i thought it might be a tricky one yes lol

i'll keep looking :blush:

hope you're well

tim

:readingtwo: to the forum, Finrod (and Tim too, since you've popped into this thread! :blush:). I hope you'll enjoy it here.:readingtwo:

Finrod - I'm embarrassed to say I haven't ever read any of those authors, so you'l have to recommend a few to start with so I can remedy that!

Tim - I'm sure you'll soon come up with some requests for your wish list hanging around here - try checking out the Book Logs and Reviews sections, as well as the Reading Circles, and I'm sure you'll soon have a list as long as your arm!

thanks! :lol:

Welcome Finrod and Tim! Nice to see more men joining up. :readingtwo: Finrod, the only Vonnegut I've read so far is Slaughterhouse-Five. What would you recommend that I read next?...

Thanks for the warm welcome, and apologies for my delay in replying. Which KV to read next? Hmmmm

My favorite is his first : Player Piano - set in the future (written in 1952) the third world war and the second industrial revolution have taken place - leading to a two-tier human society of technicians and bureaucrats and a majority of grossly under-employed helots, I think you get the real Kurt Vonnegut here - the subtlest of humour and vision.

Second: The Sirens of Titan (1959)

Mars, an Earth colony, invades Earth, and i'll leave it at that as any other attempt at synopsis defeats me.

If you like these, then plesae get back to me.