Favourite fantasy book

Renius

Has anyone ever read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke? One of my favourite piece of fantasy.

Yes. It's a wonderful book, but can be difficult to get into at first. There's an old thread for it: http://bookclubforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=656

I'm going to disagree with you there, RA Salvatore's Drizzt novel move from being passable to being downright awful. The Crystal Shard was ok, but the rest just keep getting worse.

I'd have to agree with this. The more I read of his novels, the less impressed I became. That being said, I only read the Drizzt line of novels and had to give up because they were becoming so terrible.

zomg! cant believe no ones mentioned RA Salvatore and his masterpiece books. they're a little more complex but its still popular today being like 20 years old.

I'm under the impression that it's quite a niche area in which he writes: either you're a Forgotten Realms fan, which I'm not, or you're a Star Wars fan, which I'm also not. The chances of someone on these forums having read his novels, let alone mentioning one as a favourite, isn't really that large.

Edited by Seiichi
Typos

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be very predictable and say that my favourite is The Lord Of The Rings, followed by a very close second with His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. I've never been a massive fan of fantasy (although, thinking about it, I devoured Susan Cooper's 'The Dark Is Rising' series when I was younger), but appreciate good books whatever the genre...actually, thinking some more about it, I really enjoyed Stephen Donaldson's books as well...I'm beginning to think that peope shouldn't trust anything I say until I've properly thought about it...:D

I do not read a lot of fantasy book but I did enjoy 'The Elvenbane' by Mercedes Lackey & Andre Norton :D I never did read the rest of the series. :blush:

51C6B1WP61L_SS500_.jpg

Edit ~ I have read The Dark Tower series :D

Edited by Weave

I think the only fantasy book I've actually read was 'The Hobbit' :D so that'd have to be my favourite.

Well, Harry Potter is sometimes described as fantasy I suppose...

I'd like to read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

The Dark Tower series is actually very good. I had forgotten I'd read that bunch of books as well. Have a go. I'm sure you'll like it.

Well, fantasy, that would have to be Juliet Marillier with the Sevenwaters Trilogy.

But I also worship the series "The Snow Queen" and the "Cat series" by Joan D. Vinge. In fact, Cat is the best character ever! I've never read any books as much as I've read those.

Yes. It's a wonderful book, but can be difficult to get into at first. There's an old thread for it: http://bookclubforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=656

I'd have to agree with this. The more I read of his novels, the less impressed I became. That being said, I only read the Drizzt line of novels and had to give up because they were becoming so terrible.

I'm under the impression that it's quite a niche area in which he writes: either you're a Forgotten Realms fan, which I'm not, or you're a Star Wars fan, which I'm also not. The chances of someone on these forums having read his novels, let alone mentioning one as a favourite, isn't really that large.

Well I'm unfairly new to this site, so I'm not familiar with all you fellow book nerds yet.

But i did not say the novels were large, i said they were popular. In America at least.

The dude has like a library named after him, not to mention a handful of NY Times bestsellers. But you either like his books or you don't. So do not dis Master Salvatore. Or would that be Commander Salvatore... anywho, you can't be in the cool aid if you do not understand the flavor, and he has tons of it.

I don't generally read fantasy books, but I loved The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. After much prodding by my teenaged daughter I finally read the Twilight series and really did enjoy them.

I've got The Priestess Of Avalon by the same author - i got it years ago as one of the books to fill out my obligation to a book club - i've never gotten around to reading it but think i may do now you've recommended it.

I don't generally read fantasy books, but I loved The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. After much prodding by my teenaged daughter I finally read the Twilight series and really did enjoy them.

I've got The Priestess Of Avalon by the same author - i got it years ago as one of the books to fill out my obligation to a book club - i've never gotten around to reading it but think i may do now you've recommended it.

Read The Mists of Avalon first. It's long but well worth it. The others in the series aren't as wonderful, but they are very good. I wouldn't have enjoyed them as much, though, if I hadn't read Mists first. :lol:

I used to adore Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series but never really got along with her other books.

I read Twilight and wasn't impressed, neither were my daughters who usually lap things like that up. Not sure why but I don't think any of us were impressed by the charecterisation.

A vampi-ish book I'd really reccomend is Sunshine by Robin McKinley, I think it's her first adult novel and I hope she writes lots more. It can be a bit wordy in places but is very well written so well worth the longer passages.

My favourite fantasy books are probably those in the Otherland series by Tad Williams, although I'm not sure if you would consider those fantasy...

Another favourite would definitely be the Lord of the Rings books. I've lost count of how many times I've read the Silmarillion, although I had trouble getting through the History of Middle-earth series (the collection edited by Christopher Tolkien).

Okay well I really love The Alchemist by I forgot who, but yeah I bought it because I thought it was a Harry Potter spin off, with the main character being Nicholas Flamel (I also adore Harry Potter) but its really really good for both adults and children. Also I would say my fave is TWILIGHT ,

I've never read a romance before and this compels both fantasy and romance, it's the most emotional book in the whole universe and once you read it you become attached,

MORT :D TERRY PRATCHETT is also gdd :D:mrgreen:

Edited by Echo
fixed capitals, punctuation, and spelling

Years ago I read the Thomas Covenant chronicles on OH's recommendation - I think there were 3 - I don't know why we don't have them any more. Anyone read them? - I did enjoy them - he was such a reluctant hero in his world - not really a hero either if I remeber rightly :lol:

LOL I hated him so much (though I still stoically read all of them, halfway between the hope things would improve and the conviction that abandoning a book was only something evil adult people did)!

All the way through I remember thinking, "the ungrateful little (insert epiteth here)! If only I found myself in a faraway world whose people worshipped me as their saviour, oh the adventures I'd have, the fame I'd acquire, the great deeds I'd do! When is he going to stop whining and accept he is the hero of his own story?"

Of course, all heroes (especially in fantasy) have an initial moment wherein they doubt their ability to perform their quest; most, however, stop quivering and moping eventually. Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever sadly stays through to his name and whines, doubts, quivers and mopes. All the time. Aahhh!!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Favourite fantasy -

The Pellinor Series by Alison Croggon.

The Bitterbynde Trilogy by Cecilia Dart-Thornton.

The Sangreal Trilogy by Amanda Hemingway.

The Seven Waters Series by Juliet Marillier.

they all contain great adventures and are brilliantly written.

• 3 weeks later...

The Seven Waters Series by Juliet Marillier.

One of my favourite series of all times. Have read them several times now.

I love Jacqueline Carey. Kushiel's Dart series and Imriel (Treason's heir) series are two of my favourites ever. The world she creates, Terre D'Ange, fantastic.