E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

I have the clip in leather cover but I don't have any cracks in my Kindle, touch wood. :thud: I've been thinking of getting a new case, as the leather cover is quite irritating. It's heavy, and often keeps flipping closed when I'm reading. I have been taking it out of it's cover to read it, but now I'm worried that I might be weakening it. :roll2: I think I may look for another case, like a slip-in one.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand from the discussions on Amazon forums that this appears to be caused by the non-lighted cases. Apparently they clip onto the kindle and are causing the cracking. Amazon customer services are replacing them without any problems. Also these cases seem to be causing battery problems as well, and some other problems.

I do have mine in a cover but purchased it from ebay. They fit a diiferent way and do not have the clips. Cheaper as well but just as good.

Unless you have the official Amazon non lighted case I would n't worry too much, but if you experience any sort of problems ( cover or not) contact customer services straight away.

Hope this helps.

Actually that is mentioned in the thread I linked to, and some people then go on to comment that they don't use those cases and have still had cracks appear. Who knows? Anyway, you're right, I'm not going to worry about it too much unless it happens. I do wonder, out of the thousands of Kindles that Amazon have sold, exactly how many people have experienced the cracking issue. I'd imagine there'd be far more of an outcry if it was a fundamental design flaw.

Chesilbeach, I'm like you, I've been handling mine with extreme care although, until reading that thread, I always thought it felt like quite a solid little device.

I have the clip in leather cover but I don't have any cracks in my Kindle, touch wood. :thud: I've been thinking of getting a new case, as the leather cover is quite irritating. It's heavy, and often keeps flipping closed when I'm reading. I have been taking it out of it's cover to read it, but now I'm worried that I might be weakening it. :roll2: I think I may look for another case, like a slip-in one.

I steered away from the official cases because of the price, and I thought it looked like they added a fair bit of bulk to the Kindle. I read mine naked. Hang on, that sounds wrong. It's the Kindle that's 'naked', not me <shudder> :doh::lol:

I got this cover in the end, which it slips in to and out of very easily: Kindle Cover

:)

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I have nothing to add about covers :D as the kindle I bought for my dad was coverless as I couldn't afford to get him one of those as well. But I thought I would add that he is loving it and so far on holiday has read 2 books which given he had more or less stopped reading before is such a success and I am glad he has started to reading again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Kindle since Christmas and was having problems with it constantly rebooting and not keeping the place where I was reading. I suspected the cover (I had a leather one with metal clips that held it in) and saw hundreds of reviews for that particular cover that stated the exact problems I was having. Ever since I stopped using that cover my Kindle has been fine. Apparantly the metal was causing some sort of interference. I ended up buying a new cover on ebay that holds it by the corners without any metal.

I enjoy my Kindle so much more than I ever thought I would and have caught my self try to 'turn the page' just like a real book. So far I have downloaded five books. My husband also got me a $40 amazon gift card and I still have $30 left. I'm a bargain shopper!

I've read all the great comments on here and I think one would be perfect ....

Sooooo, what's stopping me?. There is something at the back of my mind saying "do you really need this gizmo?" I love books and I chain-read. It so easy to pick up a book and simply read, no strings. Once it's finished, it either goes back on the shelf if it's one to re-read, or to the Charity Shop. I can get cheap books on Amazon or its Marketplace and the local Oxfam Bookshop and even free ones in the Library. I've also noticed that some e-books on Amazon are quite expensive compared to the "real" book.

I have a bad habit of reading the 1* reviews on Amazon (I can't help it) and a lot are saying how the screen freezes and needs rebooting and how C/Services are not very helpful.

The real beauty of it of course will be when you go on holiday/train journeys etc and you can choose which one takes your fancy rather than taking up valuable luggage space with lots of books.

So, my right brain is saying "go on, go on, go on, go on, go on...." and my left is saying "do you really need this?"

:blush:

I have a bad habit of reading the 1* reviews on Amazon (I can't help it) and a lot are saying how the screen freezes and needs rebooting and how C/Services are not very helpful.

Really? I've read nothing but good things about Amazon customer services :unsure:

I think it's often the case with t'internet that the most vocal people are the ones who want to complain, whilst those who haven't had any problems are just getting on with it and enjoying their purchase. I wouldn't be without my Kindle now :)

Really? I've read nothing but good things about Amazon customer services :unsure:

I think it's often the case with t'internet that the most vocal people are the ones who want to complain, whilst those who haven't had any problems are just getting on with it and enjoying their purchase. I wouldn't be without my Kindle now :)

I agree, it's the complaints that are loudest! I haven't had a single problem with my Kindle, and considering I was convinced I would never be turned from the physical book, I'm amazed that I've become so completely converted, to the stage where I don't feel inclined to even go in Waterstone's any more (I do still visit the indie shops who have a more diverse and unusual selection).

Well, I have to say you lovely peeps have convinced me...... I've just ordered my kindle off Amazon. Shall wait in trepidation and then start loading up books that I don't think I'd buy, ie some of the free classics and maybe the free version of Sherlock Holmes' Adventures can go on there to read on the go ...... :D

Now I'm going to feel guilty about the paperbacks that are sitting looking at me thinking that they are going to be neglected.

Edited by SueK

Well, I have to say you lovely peeps have convinced me...... I've just ordered my kindle off Amazon.

Yay! :D

Now I'm going to feel guilty about the paperbacks that are sitting looking at me thinking that they are going to be neglected.

I know that feeling - I have to keep forcing myself to put the Kindle down and read an occasional treebook :lol:

Well, I have to say you lovely peeps have convinced me...... I've just ordered my kindle off Amazon. Shall wait in trepidation and then start loading up books that I don't think I'd buy, ie some of the free classics and maybe the free version of Sherlock Holmes' Adventures can go on there to read on the go ...... :D

Woohoo! Welcome to the club Sue :smile2: All I can say is that I've managed to stop buying new books to add to my list, and I try to make sure I finish at least one book for every ebook I read in order to try and reduce the unread paperbacks staring at me from up on the shelf!

I've read all the great comments on here and I think one would be perfect ....

Sooooo, what's stopping me?. There is something at the back of my mind saying "do you really need this gizmo?" I love books and I chain-read. It so easy to pick up a book and simply read, no strings. Once it's finished, it either goes back on the shelf if it's one to re-read, or to the Charity Shop. I can get cheap books on Amazon or its Marketplace and the local Oxfam Bookshop and even free ones in the Library. I've also noticed that some e-books on Amazon are quite expensive compared to the "real" book.

The real beauty of it of course will be when you go on holiday/train journeys etc and you can choose which one takes your fancy rather than taking up valuable luggage space with lots of books.

So, my right brain is saying "go on, go on, go on, go on, go on...." and my left is saying "do you really need this?"

:blush:

I had those same reservations! I worried that I might get the kindle and not use it, but like many others the opposite is true, I have to make myself read a "proper" book now :blush: I love the kindle and haven't had any problems with it at all. Hope you enjoy yours just as much. :)

I am glad you decided to pick one up Sue, I have to say I had a problem with my Kindle (it turned out actually to be the cover) and Amazon customer service were amazing. They offered me a full refund for the case or an upgrade free of charge to the £20 more expensive lighted case which did not have the problem. I took the upgrade, I called on Saturday morning and they had the case to me by Monday and didn't even want the old one back.

I have heard from others too about the great service they have had.

I'VE GOT ONE, I'VE GOT ONE, I'VE GOT ONE!!!

Husband decided I should have a surprise and bought me a Kindle. I'VE GOT ONE!

So very excited and happy, and have downloaded about 12 free books (including Magyk by Angie Sage) and 4 very cheap books.

I had planned on getting myself a Kindle at some stage, maybe next year, but my utterly gorgeous other half decided I should have one now. I love it, and instnctively know that I will make great use of it alongside my 'traditional' book reading. :D

I'VE GOT ONE, I'VE GOT ONE, I'VE GOT ONE!!!

Husband decided I should have a surprise and bought me a Kindle. I'VE GOT ONE!

So very excited and happy, and have downloaded about 12 free books (including Magyk by Angie Sage) and 4 very cheap books.

I had planned on getting myself a Kindle at some stage, maybe next year, but my utterly gorgeous other half decided I should have one now. I love it, and instnctively know that I will make great use of it alongside my 'traditional' book reading. :D

YIPPEE!!! What a lovely hubby you've got, Chrissy! Welcome to the world of Kindle, I'm sure you're gonna love it :exc:

Yippy, mine arrived at work today. I'm charging it up right now and waiting, with eagerness, for that little indicator to turn green :D Now, what to order .....................

Congrats too Chrissy your man sounds wonderful!

I'm loving my Kindle. I've downloaded the Complete Sherlock Holmes for £1.44 (I can now read them on the go as well as at home) and a few freebies: Dracula; Dracula's Guest; Allan Quartermain and People of the Mist (both by Rider Haggard) and I'm dipping in to them between reading my paperback which I started earlier.

Has anyone clicked the Buy button on the device's Kindle Store by mistake? I did this yesterday and was able to cancel it. I am expecting the refund to come through but the book is still there. :) I don't know how long it takes for the book to be removed so I might as well read it until it's taken off I suppose! :wink:

Great invention though. :D