Thanksgiving Dinner

muggle not

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have: Turkey ( 2 types - fried and roasted ) potatoes, gravy, stuffing, garlic green beans, salads, rolls, yam souffle, diff types of pie: lemon cream, pumpkin, cookies and whatever else anybody wants to bring. We're having over 45 people here this year!! YIKES.

This year was my first Thanksgiving away from my parents' house. I took the train from Wisconsin to my sister's dorm in Michigan, and was able to sit in on her classes for a couple of days. She has so much reading to do over the break! I have a little bit, too; I love train rides and cold weather as excuses to curl up and read.

My sister, a couple of her roommates, an exchange student from Korea, and I all made something for today. We made salmon marinated with orange, homemade Betty Crocker Cookbook dinner rolls, spring salad with eggs and peppers and carrots, and delicious corn bread stuffing.

I had Korean spring rolls with vegetables and soy sauce for the first time, and now I really want to buy some rice wrappers.

I made the main dessert, chocolate chip pumpkin cookies with real pumpkin.

We're going to be sitting down to our dinner in probably about an hour. Luckily, a lot of people didn't show up this year for various reasons, so there's going to be a tone of leftovers! I can't wait for my first turkey sandwich with leftover stuffing. :D

Had a very nice Thanksgiving yesterday, with all the traditional fare... turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, gravy, and three kinds of pie! I think I look forward to the leftovers even more than the main meal, lol.

I never go out on Black Friday here. There's too many people, and no deal is worth getting mobbed by crazed shoppers! There is even a local outlet mall here that opened at midnight last night, and they were mobbed with people!

Wayyyy back in 1995 I was in London over the holiday. We went to Harrod's on the day that Black Friday fell in the states, and it was crammed with shoppers. I know you don't celebrate Thanksgiving like we do, but is that day sort of a universal busy day around the world for Christmas shopping, or is Harrod's just always crazy busy?!

• 11 months later...

I'm bumping this up, since Thanksgiving in only two days away!

So, what's on the menu? Where will you be celebrating?

I'm going to my aunt's house this year, along with my parents, my older bro and his family, and most of my cousins. We'll be having:

Roasted turkey

Turkey gravy

2 kinds of stuffing

Mashed potatoes

Roasted sweet potatoes

Broccoli and cheese casserole (yuk)

Fruit salad

Rolls

Apple pie (my mom's specialty)

Pumpkin pie

I can't wait! :D

12 lb Rotisserie Turkey

7 lb HoneyBaked Ham

Salmon - for my GD who is vegetarian

Cornbread stuffing (and lots of it)

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Green Bean casserole

Corn pudding

Sweet potatoes (with marshmallows :D )

Rolls

pumpkin Pie

Apple Pie (made with Pink Lady apples fresh from the orchard)

Pumpkin Cake

Three types of wine - a Riesling, a Beaujolais, and a White Zinfandel

I know I probably missed listing a few things.

Edited by muggle not

I guess it depends on the tradition. Thanksgiving is almost always turkey, goose, or ham. A lot of people also have turkey on Christmas, but my family has prime rib. We also don't do stuffing, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes or yams, corn, or some of the other traditional Thanksgiving dishes. I think that Thanksgiving is more of a harvest type meal.

Our Thanksgiving is always interesting since my step-mom is a vegetarian. This year she actually bought a live turkey and paid board it at a farm where it can live until it dies from old age. That is her way of celebrating the holiday.

I am cooking for the first time tomorrow and am making garlic mashed potatos, scalloped corn, green bean casserole, veggie stuffing, tomato soup, a small ham for my dad and me, pumpkin and apple pies and homemade whipped cream. It should be a nice holiday. :D

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!

Wow, another year has passed already! Going to have Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow with family, and am doing the traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc. Oh, and pie of course! We usually do turkey for Thanksgiving, and for Christmas we change it up to either seafood, ham or duck.

Happy Gobble-Gobble Day to those who celebrate! :D

Yes, the day after Thanksgiving is Black Friday. Stores open ridiculously early, some at midnight, and stay open late and have crazy sales. In Seattle, we have a tradition of the lighting of the Westlake Center Christmas tree and the lighting of the Macy's star (see picture). It's sort of the traditional start of the Christmas season.

I hated this day when I worked in retail, and now I just ignore it. :D

post-637-127972302313_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful pic Echo.

I worked at Barnes and Noble last year the day after Thanksgiving and let me tell you- NEVER AGAIN! We didn't have any major sales that people waited out in the cold for hours for like Best Buy and Target, but we did a pretty good amout of business!

I too will be sitting it out :D but I hear Target has a 32 in flat screen tv for only 250.00!!!

Yep, I spent too many years working in retail too that you won't find me anywhere near a mall or shop on Friday. I know that businesses need to do all they can to get people into their stores, especially in this economy, but I'll let people other than myself deal with the crowds :D.

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving went well. I only managed to start the stove on fire once and set the smoke alarm off twice. Everything except for my pumpkin pie turned out. Since it was my first time cooking the whole meal for my family I consider this success. :) My dad found the whole fire thing rather hillarious... It will be something I will spend years trying to live down I'm sure.

Congratulations, CaliLily! I can't imagine cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I'm grateful that my parents and my aunt still do it. I'm going to be heading up there soon for dinner, and I can't wait! :)