Our own Jane Austen Book Group...?

Kell

Would you be interested in having a Jane Austen Book Group?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in having a Jane Austen Book Group?

• Yes - sign me up!
    • Maybe - I might be tempted...
    • No - it's not really my thing.

I don't see why not, Filmophobic, although for the purposes of the official reading circle, I thought it would be easier to stick to the six novels (one every other month seemed a reasonable rate, as the regular monthly reading circle is increasing in popularity too).

I certainly have Lady Susan and Love and Freindship (sic) on my ipod...

I hope you'll join us in the reading group, Filmophobic.

I was out and about on Thursday and bought:

Sense and Sensibility

Emma

I really like the sound of 'Northanger Abbey', I am going to buy that next. Plus I really like the copies I got.

I have all six novels in a 3 volume, leather bound set. My mom gave them to me on three consecutive Christmases. Some of them, I also have in smaller editions, which I can take with me. I have extra, cheap paperback copies of Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, and Persuasion.

Hi everyone!

This is my first post as I'm new to the group :lol:. I would definitely be interested in re-reading Austen. I've recently completed my Masters in English and my thesis was based on Austen and the Gothic, focussing on Northanger Abbey.

I based my study on Austen, not because I am a lover of her work. I always found her quite infuriating, but my opinion has since changed! The focus I had to give each of her texts gave me a real appreciation for her writing and it's content.

I also miss talking about it, as I've been away from uni now for about 6 months!! :censored:

Hi everyone!

This is my first post as I'm new to the group :lol:. I would definitely be interested in re-reading Austen. I've recently completed my Masters in English and my thesis was based on Austen and the Gothic, focussing on Northanger Abbey.

I based my study on Austen, not because I am a lover of her work. I always found her quite infuriating, but my opinion has since changed! The focus I had to give each of her texts gave me a real appreciation for her writing and it's content.

I also miss talking about it, as I've been away from uni now for about 6 months!! :censored:

Welcome to the club! x :pizza:

Welcome to the group Bambi! It'll be interesting to get insights from someone who has studied them in-depth. I'm glad you changed your opinion about Austen's writing. :censored:

• 2 weeks later...

One every other month is a great idea! I'll be able to squeeze in some other reading too, to work down my TBR pile. Plus I think Northanger Abbey is beginning to work its charms on me already, from the few pages I have just read. YAY!

I ordered and have received all six Austen's from Amazon...they have a lovely sort of muted cover on all of them, hardbacks well put together for only 7.95 U.S.D, how to go wrong at that rate, already read Pride and Prejudice and totally enjoyed her writing style. :D

Wow, 6 paperbacks for $7.95? That's a pretty good deal! I've got a complete set of Penguin's Read Red. I didn't like the covers at first, but they've really grown on me.

Great to have you on board with us Paul! Pride and Prejudice is my favourite Austen (the only other one I've read is Emma, which I also loved).

Wow, 6 paperbacks for $7.95? That's a pretty good deal! I've got a complete set of Penguin's Read Red. I didn't like the covers at first, but they've really grown on me.

Great to have you on board with us Paul! Pride and Prejudice is my favourite Austen (the only other one I've read is Emma, which I also loved).

Sorry! I wasn't clear, 6 hardbacks at 7.95 each. Still, for a hardback an excellent price I thought. :D

The great thing is that if you're new to Austen and aren't quite certain that you'll love them, you can get them very cheaply in paperback. Publishers like Wordsworth Classics and Penguin Classics do paperback versions that sell for as little as £2 each at stores such as The Works (who also have a wide range of classics, inclusing Jane Austen, in their 3 for £5 section - excellent value!). The covers may not be gorgeous (although some of them do have bvery pretty pictures on the front, bordered by the publisher's standard frame and logo), but at that price you can always replace them with a beautiful version later on if you find that you fall madly in love with Austen's style! I am selling on my cheaper paperback versions as I read them and am thinking of investing in a beautifully bound "complete works" or a nice set of her novels.

You can also get them all dirst cheap second-hand at many places, both online and in regular charity shops. Green Metropolis always has a selection (UK only) and you can get them for FREE from places like Book Mooch (world-wide).

So, if you don't already have the books, you can still take part in the reading circle at very little expense (or even for free if you get them from a swap place, or Librivox if you like audio books).