Our own Jane Austen Book Group...?

Kell

Would you be interested in having a Jane Austen Book Group?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in having a Jane Austen Book Group?

• Yes - sign me up!
    • Maybe - I might be tempted...
    • No - it's not really my thing.

I know several members have read The Jane Austen Book Group by Karen Joy Fowler - some have loved it, others hated it, and sothers still somewhere in between.

But that's not the book I want to talk about.

I was wondering if any other members here would be interested in running our very own Jane Austen Book Group, reading and discussing each of Austen's novels, perhaps every month or every other month, till we've read all her works?

I've actually been reading Jane all year and still have a few to go, but I just thought it might be a nice idea, either for folks who are already fans to revisit her books, or folks who have only read a handful to read the rest, or for those who are completely new to her to start enjoying them.

Is it something you'd be interested in?

--------------------------------------

The Novels in order of publication:

Sense and Sensibility (1811)

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

Mansfield Park (1814)

Emma (1816)

Persuasion (1818) (posthumous)

Northanger Abbey (1818) (posthumous)

Having just finished Reading Lolita in Tehran I have Pride and Prejudice next on my hit list to read, so yes I would be interested in at least some of them.

I've wanted to read them for years anyhow and somehow have never gotten around to it, even though I have all six in one of those Penguin editions. I've had it [i just checked the date written inside] since February, 1984. :D

Alas, I have ordered a new copy, this one is moth eaten. :D:blush:

This is looking promising! *claps hands together in childish glee*

I was thinking it could be something we start in the new year and read a book every other month (as there are 6 of them), which would take us nicely to the end of the year. Then perhaps we could focus on another author the following year - if it takes off, it could become a regular thing!

*Crosses fingers and hopes others like the idea as much as I do*

Wow, is it Christmas already because I'm feeling like all my Christmases have come at once! What an excellent idea Kell!

I love Jane Austen and would love to devote next year to reading the four books that I haven't read yet (and I'm sure my arm could be twisted to do some re-reading!)

Yes, please! :D

I have read three and a half books of Jane Austen's (the half is Mansfield Park, which someone had on hold when I went to renew it a couple of days ago).

I think there will be much discussion material, with the different famous characters, the standards of the Victorian era that Austen challenged, and the many commentaries and synopses written on her works. Ooh, and some modern authors like J.K. Rowling have been influenced by her!

Seeing as how we have 10 folks interested and four "maybe"s, I thin kwe can safely say there are enough of us to warrant going ahead with this one. Therefore I propose we start in the New Year with the following schedule, reading them in order of publication:

Jan / Feb - Sense and Sensibility (1811)

Mar / Apr -Pride and Prejudice (1813)

May / June -Mansfield Park (1814)

July / Aug - Emma (1816)

Sep / Oct -Persuasion (1818) (posthumous)

Nov / Dec -Northanger Abbey (1818) (posthumous)

That way folks can always put the books on their Christmas lists if they don't already have them I'm dead cheeky, me!). Alternatively, many of them are available as audio books for free from Librivox or as e-books from Project Gutenburg (again, for free). I'll do the searches and post the links along with an official "JABC" thread in the reading circle section later on.

Thanks for showing interest, guys!

I have 'Pride and Prejudice', and its a great help that we are not starting until the new year (giving me bags of time to buy the others or get them for Christmas). I think I just repeated what someone else said, sorry..:D

Reading order sounds good to me! I can't wait to get stuck into it :jump:

It'll be great to compare the heroines of the different novels - to see what similarites and differences exist between them and other characters.

Janet - don't be put off by Emma! It was the first Austen I read and I wasn't impressed at all. It wasn't till I tried Northanger Abbey that I started to appreciate her works. Emma, in my opinion, is the worst of her books. Please don't let that single book put you off her others!