One Last Book?

Liz

Reading Galactic Space Hamster's recent thread reminded me of another morbid question which myself and friends were thinking about recently.

If you knew you were going to die and you could only read one more book before you kicked the bucket, which one would it be?

Would you re-read an old favourite?

Would you read that book which you've been meaning to read all your life but never got around to it?

What would be your last read and why?

Over to you......

If I had an unread Terry Pratchett, it would be that. Otherwise, it would be my lovely hardback copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, which a friend very kindly sent me from the USA, no doubt at considerable cost. I feel guilty that I still haven't read it, despite wanting to. I suffer from painful wrists, and the size and weight of this book has put me off, but if I was dying anyway then my wrists wouldn't really matter!

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy - this would be a re-read and a final opportunity to immerse myself in his poetic and evocative descriptions and his understanding of human nature through the love triangle around which the plot exists. I think I would choose a familiar love over something new.

My last book would be a re-read. I would re-read Tuesdays with Morrie. I have read this book once before and I loved it. It provides a good outlook on life and death. Plus it is short so I could have time to do other things before I died :lol:

LOL everyone wants a re-read. They are taking the safe road. No one wants to be disapointed before death :lol:

Some are picking particularly long tomes .... Encyclopaedia Britanica, The Complete Works of Shakespeare, The Lord of the Rings. Think they're trying to put off the evil moment as long as possible :D

If i had to pick a re-read it might be The chronicles of Narnia or The man who was Thursday by G K Chesterton.

If I had to read a book I hadn't read before I would probably go for Harry Potter and the deathly hallows (seeing as I'm reading the half blood prince at the moment.) It would be a shame not to see how it all pans out.

If I had to go for something new (not part of a series I'm part way through then I might go for a shakespeare play that I hadn't read. Perhaps Othello or King Lear.

It is strange. When I have thought about this I always thought it would be someting I have always wanted to read and not done, like catching up on Tolkien's works. When I saw Kell's post I thought it would have to be the Grove Music Dictionary, but the only option for me a this point in life would be to have the one book that has never let me down and is always a part of my life, my bible, that is, if it is still going by then. It is in a bit of a state from everything I have put it through.

WOW, no way could I choose!!! I have enough trouble trying to choose what I am going to read next as it is. In the dictionary under "caprecious" is a picture of me. WAY too hard to choose. Don't know what I would do.

Otherwise, it would be my lovely hardback copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, which a friend very kindly sent me from the USA, no doubt at considerable cost. I feel guilty that I still haven't read it, despite wanting to. I suffer from painful wrists, and the size and weight of this book has put me off, but if I was dying anyway then my wrists wouldn't really matter!

PLEASE read it!!! Life is too short, you could be dead tomrrow! It's several kinds of wonderful! Read it :lol:

PLEASE read it!!! Life is too short, you could be dead tomrrow!

Thanks for that cheery thought. :lol: But you're right, I've heard good things about it and I really must get around to it (after I finish the three books I'm currently reading :D ).

It is a positive thought in an odd sort of way :lol:

I often think about death. The one inevitable fact is that we are all dying. We treat death like a faery tale in a maybe land far away and distant. Maybe it's waiting for us when we are old, but then again maybe it's a car crash next Wednesday, maybe it's a heart attack, or a murder, or one of a million stupid impossible things that kill people every day.

Ah, but it only happens to other people we see on the news or read about sadly in papers, but that isn't true. When you accept death is real and it's breathing down your neck and the clock is tick ticking... I think that's more positive and you try to life life as best you can rather than not thinking about death at all. You see what I mean? One of my fave quotes is "life every day as if it's your last - because some day it will be"

SO... READ the the book! lol

LOL everyone wants a re-read. They are taking the safe road. No one wants to be disapointed before death :lol:

You're right there, Adam. I have this very romantic (totally unrealistic) vision of my death. I'm in my bed, with lovely clean white bedding and the sun streaming in through the sash window - only a familiar Hardy could complete the scene!

but the only option for me a this point in life would be to have the one book that has never let me down and is always a part of my life, my bible, that is, if it is still going by then. It is in a bit of a state from everything I have put it through.

I really like this answer. I think that is the one book you should glance at before death.

For me, it would be unquestionably The Consort by Anthony Hextall-Smith. It starts out light a lightweight comedy and gradually gets darker and darker but somehow maintains a tongue-in-cheek atmosphere at the same time. Very appropriate for the futility of the occasion.