Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

SteffieB

Howdy -- just wondering if anyone has read this book? I looked and looked and can't find a post about it..and I am dying to hear someone's opinion! I have read such great reviews all over for it, but the one person I know personally (a professor) who read it said it could have been much shorter:blush:

Thanks very much!

hi- i'm about half way through middlesex and i think its great- it could be shorter but the descriptions are done really really well- its written with a low key sense of humor- im really enjoying this one- carm

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm halfway through the audiobook version, and I'm finding it riveting. As I keep telling my Greek friend, as I ask her about some of the Greek themes, it's more of an historical book about a family's emigration to America and their life and assimilation here, than about the hermaphrodite topic. The reader is just fantastic, too, he makes it that much more interesting. Anyone with an immigrant background (my father and his family are from Germany) will identify with the story.

• 9 months later...

I didn't like Virgin Suicides, neither as a book or a film, partly because

I thought all of the girls would commit suicide one by one, and I was sort of disappointed to learn that first one girl would do it and then all of the others as a group. It would have been much more devastating the way I thought it would be, and I was curious to find out how they all could manage to do it one by one and get away with it, and how the parents would react and try to stop it.

However, I really enjoyed Middlesex and I had to buy it for myself after reading it. It wasn't too long for me, I loved how the novel tells the "saga" of three different generations, the first generation's actions being the cause of future events and problems. I recommend!

I really enjoyed Middlesex but ordered the hardback without realising just how huge a book it was! Definately not one for reading on the bus! i agree with Steffie I thought the immigrant experience aspects of the book were the most interesting! The idea of someone coming into your home and telling you not to use too much garlic in your food -bizarre!

I read Middlesex earlier this year and thought it was fantastic! I was completely absorbed by the story and found it very difficult to put down. I particularly enjoyed Jeffrey Eurgenides writing style and felt his use of humor helped me to digest some of the more sensitive issues of this book.

Edited by shelbel

I'm half way through Middlesex right now and loving it, but haven't had many spare moments to read the last few days. At first, I thought a complete history on the genetic mutation that made Calliope a pseudohermaphrodite would be a bit boring, but I was wrong. It has been really interesting so far.

• 3 weeks later...

When I finally finished Middlesex there was no doubt that it was a prize worthy work of art. It only made me wonder

if Cal would ever get reconstructive surgery in the future or be happy as he was, especially after telling his girlfriend that he was a hermaphrodite at the end of the novel.

He is just the kind of fictional character that you wish would go on to have a nice life after the story is over. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading this book, so came a-searching for this thread.

I really liked the book (though I don't think it would get into my favourites or anything but I still thought it was great). At first the narrative kind of grated with me, especially the paragraphs flicking from one time to another or from one series of events to another simultaneous series of events explaining the current affairs of state (war, etc) but I think after a chapter or two I really got into it; I did like the writing style. I thought it was a really good length, too. There were no parts of the book where I thought the story dragged on and I was never bored.

In other news, I could do with some help! I run a private book club on another forum (no plugging, really) and this is our chosen book. I'm just not sure what sort of questions I could pose/ask or what conversation I could start that might help the discussion along. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Middlesex would be in my alternative "punch the sky" (which is how I felt) greatest list. This is not to say it couldn't occupy a place on a standard orthodox list, it's just that where books such as 1984 and others who are perennially thought of when list are compiled. Because of their subject matter and in this case the bleak way in which it's handled, Middlesex won't, automatically find a voice among the puritanical readship. But in time it will sit alongside those great books.

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!