CoG89's Reading List from Oct. to Dec. 2007

Child.of.God.1989

Ahh, my first "big post!":sign0144: Hope you obtain some good reading ideas.

Love,

Child.of.God.1989

~ Books I have read recently:

And the Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers

Genre: modern Christian novel

Start: October 4, 2007

Finish: October 7, 2007

Rating: 9/10:o Check it out! Almost the best of Rivers's books. Review to come.

~ Books I have checked out:

Mansfield Park by... you guessed it! by Jane Austen

Genre: Classical fiction

Start: mid-September 2007 (I had to turn it in overdue after reading twelve chapters:icon_oops: . I checked out a new one last week.)

Finish: _____

-~-~-~-

Knowing God by J.I. Packer

Genre: Christian Theology

Start: Early September, picked it up and started over again October 7th

Finish:

-~-~-~-

The Hidden Smile of God by John Piper (my first Piper! Yay!)

Genre: Christian theology

Start: October 7, 2007

Finish:

-~-~-~-

The Brothers Karamozov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (My grandma lent me the old movie with William Shatner, but I had a little trouble understanding it:confused:. This will be my first Russian novel, not counting the little bit of War and Peace I read last summer through last September.)

Genre: Classical fiction

Start:

Finish:

-~-~-~-

The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers

Genre: modern Christian novel

Start: October 8, 2007

Finish: Thursday, October 16, 2007 at around 3:00 A.M. (hey, I was parted from it for three days!)

~ Books for later:

Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (I started this one in December 2006 after receiving it for Christmas, but shamefully abandoned it for books with faster paces:irked:. The first few chapters I read were good, though! I'll start all over later.)

Genre: classical Christian fiction

Start:

Finish:

-~-~-~-

Ben Hur by Lew Wallace (Seen the movie in school, have read excerpts of it in school, but it's high time I take it off the shelf and read the real McCoy!:))

Genre: classical Christian fiction

Start:

Finish:

-~-~-~-

Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper

Genre: Christian theology

Start:

Finish:

-~-~-~-

I Kissed Dating Good-Bye by Joshua Harris

Genre: Christian non-fiction

Start:

Finish:

-~-~-~-

Worldwide Journeys in Prayer by Wentworth Pike (I'm embarrassed for putting this on the later list. My grandma lent it to me! --In AUGUST! Okay, it will be the first of the "laters.")

Genre: Christian non-fiction/devotional

Start:

Finish:

I have Ben Hur on my shelf just waiting for me to read it, and I very recently read and enjoyed Mansfield Park - hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

A sincere "Thanks muchly!" for the views and responses, everyone! It's nice to know I'm contributing for people other than myself.

Hey CoG, you are seriously trying to extend my reading list! You have some interesting reads there.

Aw, shucks, Icecream:mrgreen:. You were the first one I noticed who shares my faith, y'know!

Hi, CoG. :lol:

I like your list. I wouldn't mind having a read of some of the Christian books you've got on there.

Hey there, Liz. Your sig reminded me to check out the Discworld series, which two of my cousins recommended to me four years ago! Oh, let me help you get started (there are some genres I have yet to tap into, too!) on Francine Rivers, at least:

For you and other ladies, I would enthusiastically recommend Redeeming Love or The Atonement Child first. Men might find The Warrior and The Prince more to their liking.

I have Ben Hur on my shelf just waiting for me to read it, and I very recently read and enjoyed Mansfield Park - hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Oh, nice, Kell! Maybe we can plod through the ever-verbose nature of classics like Ben Hur together some time. So far I am enjoying Mansfield Park:

I want to be more like Fanny Price, though I pity her a little bit! Maria Crawford and three of the Bertram kids are so selfish! I'm at the part where they are getting ready to start the play, and Fanny is sad to see Edmund and Maria so happy about having parts as lovers.

I've got Mansfield Park on my ever present TBR mountain

Sweet! I'm glad to have reminded you of it. I have heard mixed reviews from three people I know who have read it; one didn't like it, one said it was okay, and one remarked it was good but it lacked the tension of Austen's other works, like Pride and Prejudice. I'm definitely learning new ways I may be acting selfishly without even knowing it, as many of Austen's high-class characters do! --Uh, you'll see what I mean later, I suppose. I hope this puts MP in as high or low in your TBR list as it should be!:D

Sweet! I'm glad to have reminded you of it. I have heard mixed reviews from three people I know who have read it; one didn't like it, one said it was okay, and one remarked it was good but it lacked the tension of Austen's other works, like Pride and Prejudice. I'm definitely learning new ways I may be acting selfishly without even knowing it, as many of Austen's high-class characters do! --Uh, you'll see what I mean later, I suppose. I hope this puts MP in as high or low in your TBR list as it should be!:lol:

Actually, I think that Mansfield Park has plenty of tension. It's not my absolute favorite Jane Austen book (that would be Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion), but I think you'll find that there are several very tense situations, where you find yourself just dying to know how it will all turn out! Some people have found Fanny to be a bit preachy and a little too "goody-two-shoes" (I do get a little tired of her at times), but in all I find her very sensitive and an interesting heroine.

Yeah I think it is a sort of long list. I shall have to have a look. I used to buy loads cheap at the CU bookstall while at uni. I have some by authors you have mentioned too, including Boy Meets Girl. I find those christian relationship books are very thoughtful but do not releate to real life at all, so are pretty pointless.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, now I know what you guys mean when you use adjectives such as "ever-mounting" and "endless." I foolishly placed nine books and a movie on hold at the library and am picking up the following seven today or tomorrow:

- The Wounded Spirit by Frank Peretti

- My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Marier

- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

- The Lord of the Flies by William Golding

- This Present Darkness/Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti (I put ordered that one because I wanted a spooky book to read while waiting in my family's living room to hand out Halloween candy)

- Literacy and Longing in L.A. by Jennifer Kaufman

- Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper (this is the book by John Piper that I have heard the most about)

I am not too worried about keeping pace: The Hidden Smile of God by John Piper and (finally!) Knowing God by James I. Packer are coming along nicely. At first I picked them up again because I could not get a ride to the library for the past week. Now I suppose it's good for me to have no choice to read things with substance.

I became very interested in The Brothers Karamozov by Fyodor Dostovesky in its about-the-author forward. After seeing the movie, I thought it was very intriguing how a man would use his life's experiences, good and bad, for writing material. It's due on Saturday, but I'll renew it since I am going to see my maternal grandma on Saturday. She can help me understand the story!

I have a new rule: no computer, TV, newspaper, or books until I have spent time with God and His Word. I have continually let myself get distracted way too easily for the past four years! --And now I need to get off the computer. <:-)

The Secret Life of Bees is something I have wanted to read for a long time...

It's also on offer as part of a book ring HERE. It's available at the moment as I've finished reading it and am just waiting for the next member to sign up for it so I can pass it on.

I have a new rule: no computer, TV, newspaper, or books until I have spent time with God and His Word. I have continually let myself get distracted way too easily for the past four years! --And now I need to get off the computer. <:-)

It's hard isn't it? I spent years doing that too. I have a great book called This Day With God published by Intervarsity Press (IVP). I suppose doing theology in uni helped too. I have had an interesting journey with God and have learned a lot, but recently I have been learning some really good things.

• 3 months later...
- The Wounded Spirit by Frank Peretti

- My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Marier

- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

- The Lord of the Flies by William Golding

- This Present Darkness/Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti

- Literacy and Longing in L.A. by Jennifer Kaufman

- Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper

I became very interested in The Brothers Karamozov by Fyodor Dostovesky in its about-the-author forward.

So, how did I do? Well, out of all the books I checked out, the only one I finished was This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. I read that in my fifteen-minute breaks at the retirement center, and at home eating late-night bowls of cereal, so I finished it by late December. I was able to read the first few chapters of Piercing the Darkness this month, but I might just buy the series rather than check it out again.

The Secret Life of Bees did look good from the back of the book and the opening sentences. I will pick it up again, I promise! I've never really read any books from that era. Is the Civil War a very populated genre?

I put down Literacy and Longing in L.A. because of some risque content. I certainly would like to find a good novel that nods at classic books, though.

Rather than Don't Waste Your Life, I am probably just going to read Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper, a graduation gift from my teachers to all twenty-three in my class. It's short and I won't be pressured for time to finish it.

I only read the first couple of pages of The Brothers Karamazov, but in one of my classes last month Dostoevsky was mentioned, so I want to pick it up and maybe some complementary notes too. Nihilism produces some... different thinking.

I adhered to my standards about meeting God in the Bible before anything else, though it usually ended up reading my Bible during lunch or breakfast break at McDonald's rather than in the morning. It was a good opportunity to talk with workmates who saw my Bible out. This month I have not had any activity at all. I have been all about ME with my time, and that makes me empty inside! Argh. By next week, hopefully you guys will hear I have been more responsible. I don't want to struggle with this until the end of my life, OR to make too big a deal out of something that just takes a few minutes a day.

Thanks for reading such a long post after all the inactivity! I hope your brain is buzzing with good books to read.

What did you think of Piercing the Darkness? I read it last year and it was one of my best reads. I still think about it a lot.

Try not to get too worried about reading the bible. Finding time every day does help, but don't get too stressed about it.:D I have found that since actually reading more of God's word for myself I understand a lot more about God, Jesus, and christianity. I struggled for years trying to read every day. I found that getting through This Day With God was a great start. It gave me something to think about every day for a long period, and then I felt comfortable following my own heart (or relying on God) in deciding what I needed to read next. I am currently reading through Matthew, because I decided that i had not recently read enough of Jesus' own words, which are invaluable.