Where Are Your Books Kept?

Adam

Today my boyfriend and I are taking a day off from homework, and he decided it was time to do something about my piles of books. There was these big stacks by the front door, and a huge mess by my side of the bed, so we cleaned out my closet and I put the bulk of the books on the top shelf. I picked out some that I intend to read or re-read soon, and made a nice little arrangement of them on this block-thing that sits to one side of the closet. Everything is a lot more organized. Still, all of our actual bookcases are overflowing.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like everyone has been busy rearranging books for more space! I moved a few books around on my shelves but I don't think it created any more space - it just looks a bit better now because I've grouped more books together that are the same height.

I call it fall book cleaning. It seems I do it once a year around this time :jump:

I call it "cleaning". Even when I was little... err, strike that. When I was young, for me "tidying your room" translated into "rearrange your bookshelf".

And Kylie, also arranging them somewhat according to colour (black/dark books together, red/-ish together and so on) makes the look more calm and peacefull and thus creating the illusion of order and space. Plus it looks really chic.

Which brings to mind, how do you all arrange your books? By size (big ones together, small ones on one shelf allowing for shelf arrangements that look full), by colour (for peacefull and artistic look), by genre, alphabetically... What's your logic?

I try to arrange mine by size and binding. Hardcovers, which are usually the same size, go together, then beside that are the larger style paperbacks, and then the smaller ones.

I do like the idea of arranging by colour though - I think that would look quite good. I may do that when I get all my books together. :jump:

Aye, colour might look good. I have some order to my textbooks (subject and similar types within subject together) which makes them easier to pick out, but not to the others.

I want to put my books in my room that are currently in the spare room but I need to move the empty wardrobe. To do that I need to clear the boxroom of all the junk which means finding places to put everything. I also want that room decorated for the new baby when it is ready for its own room. Lot's to do.

As for Autumn cleaning, I tend to these things when Katie will let me and when my pregnancy will let me. oF course, I was pregnant this time last year but about 5/6 weeks ahead.

I arrange my books by author, and somewhat by size. I try to keep books of the same height together, too, because I think it looks better. I can't bother with color, because that would go against my need to have books by the same author together.:jump:

I have 3 book shelves on my bedroom wall and then 2 new tall bookcases that are about three-quarters full. When that is full, I shall be buying a third. I do have some books in the spare room as well.

I have all the Penguin classics together on my bookcase (in alphabetical order). The books on the shelves are all the other books I have (again in alphabetical order). The rest of the bookcase has books on my TBR list and library books.

I organize me books by genre or style. I have 4 different sections. Then whatever I am in the mood for I just head to the section and select a book.

My 4 sections are:

1. General Fiction/Feel Good Books

2. Horror/Mystery

3. Spy/Espionage/War/Mafia

4. Legal/Thriller

Those are my four sections. After I finish a book I see what I am in the mood for and then head to that section on my shelf :jump:

Because my books are so scattered, and I have them on a couple of shelves here and a couple of shelves there, I really can't organise them very well. I do have my Wordsworths together (all 3 of them!), and my Penguin modern classics (with the grey covers) and then my Vintages (with the white covers), then my Jane Austens (which are all Penguin Read Reds). After that, it kind of degenerates and they're all a mess, although I do have one shelf for sci-fi, which is badly overflowing.

I like the idea of colours, but if I had the room I would probably end up arranging alphabetically in genre or something.

I have 3 large book cases full of all different titles - mbs, religion, ancient history, cook books, travel books, novels, you name it I have them. 2 of the cases are in the living room, with the 3rd one in my partners work room. My wriitng books though (and spare copies of my own book) are kept in my own somewhat smaller

work room.

June

• 2 weeks later...

I try to keep all my books in or near the bedroom. A very difficult task..

Under the bed..no room left. Under the dressing table..full too. Next to the bed and dressing table, leaving a narrow path for access. At the end of the bed, in a bookcase at the end of the bed, and in another on the landing, in a big pile next to the end of the bed in front of a chest of drawers which can no longer be opened because too many books are in the way. Another pile next to the door which can in turn no longer be closed, for the same reason.

Things are grim. I have my eye on the next door bedroom, for expansion purposes, but my daughter may not be too happy if piles of books start appearing in there.

Things are grim. I have my eye on the next door bedroom, for expansion purposes, but my daughter may not be too happy if piles of books start appearing in there.

I keep threatening to open up the wall between my bedroom and the spare one next door so I can have more space. My parents think I'm joking. :D

For some reason my books have crept into my bedroom. I guess I'm the opposite of Roger, as I like to keep them away from there. I have few in there, the ones I'm reading, next to my bed in a big basket, but that's all. Only now there's actually books in my bed. I'm not really sure how they got there... Then again, there's an awful lot of other things in my bed right now too that don't belong there, like school papers, knitting (yup!), magazines, the living section of Sunday's newspaper... and at the moment also computer, iPod and coffee. Oh, and lipbalm, apparently. *note to self: don't sit on lipbalm. painful.*

I found that keeping loads of books in my bedroom wasn't helping me calm down in the evening and get to sleep, so I had to get them out of there.

• 1 month later...

I have just moved into a new house and i was determined to have a part of the house dedicated to my books. I only have about 250 to 300 books but they are my pride and joy. I have an alcove in my bedroom with a large book casement, cosy lighting and a comfy chair bed.

About half of my books are in this computer room/office, and in a newly made bookcase that was the Hall closet right outside of this room. Who needs a Hall Closet anyhow? :welcome: So when we had some other carpentry work done, I removed all the winter coats, of which we only used a couple anyhow, and filled it with shelves all the way to the ceiling back and sides. Was filled immediately with the stacks that were on the floor in here.

But then there are the bookcases in the front room, the upper hall, and the breakfast room. I wish I could gather them all into one room.

Kitty that sounds wonderful. I was hoping to make the box room into a nursery, and also have a nice quiet corner for my bean bag and maybe a few other things, so that I can have a nice place to escape to, but OH has just filled it with furniture from the spare room, which he is turning into an office! I was the one who cleared all the junk out of the box room in the first place! Oh well, maybe he will eventually move the furniture out, but the baby will need its own room at some point, and OH has three gentlemen's rooms already.