Where Are Your Books Kept?

Adam

Where does everyone keep their books? Is it in the study? A fancy room? Bedroom?

I keep mine in the computer room on this tiny little shelf. I have more books then I do shelf room :D

For the last year I have promised myself to buy a new shelf, but instead I buy more books :lol:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mostly in my bedroom. I live with my parents and dream of the day when I move out and have a whole house to store my books! (Maybe even a dedicated 'library'!)

I have 3 smallish shelves in the 'open' that store some of my newer books and the rest are housed on various shelves (and in piles) in my wardrobe. I've got to the stage where, when I buy new books, I have to re-order almost my entire wardrobe to try to find a bit of spare space for them! I also have books stored in two other bedrooms.

I have a massive bookcase in the livingroom where I keep all my "keepers". Another large bookcase in the hallways where all the books I'm selling on or swapping out stay. Three shelves, double-stocked, are under my desk and that's where Mount TBR nestles, occasionally books jump out at my feet and demand to be read - they're quite bolshy like that!

There are also several boxes in the office room where more books for sale/swap are kept - most of these ones are my Dad's, which are being kept here temporarily till they sell (I wish they'd hurry up and get requested, coz there's so many of them sitting there, looking forlone and wanting to be taken into new, loving homes!).

I have a large bookcase in the living room, where, like Kell, I keep my "keepers", like all of my Jane Austens, Tolkiens, Stephen Kings, Anne Rices, Harry Potters, etc. Then I have two small bookcases, one in our computer room, which holds mainly my boyfriend's books, then in our bedroom, where we each have one shelf. Then I have baskets full of books and piles of them throughout the rest of our apartment. A lot of them are on the floor on my side of the bed and in the living room. And this is after I just gave away about 150 books! :lol:

All over the place:lol: Two bookcases in the sitting room full of mine and husband's non fiction books. More books in the little bedroom where the computers are. My fiction books are in the spare bedroom where there is shelf unit on the wall and a free standing bookcase as well and that is after taking loads to a charity shop and selling some at a car boot sale. There is also a pile of waiting to be read ones at the side of the bed.:lol:

We have a couple of shelves in the living room for OHs books, maps and recipe books, plus baby things. My text and christian books are in the spare bedroom. My fiction books are in our bedroom. Katie's wardrobe is full of children's books and OH has boxes full of his exwife's books. There is also a huge pile of books to sell on the living room floor when I get round to it.

At the beggining of the year i packed up all my books id read and put them in the attic and bought a nice bookshelf from IKEA and so all my new books are kept there (pics when i get home) with several large boxes in the attic, and 2 comic short boxes beside book case for my comics :lol:

I have three double-wide bookcases that line my dining room walls, making it look more like a library. Theyr'e mostly filled with my nicer books. But then, since the house is on the market and these can't be too crowded, all of the shabbier and mis-matched books are in boxes behind the sofa... as well as the kid's books. Then there's a small stack beside my bed that I'm reading now or just finished.

I don't think I've got as many books as you guys do... I try to stick to reading library copies, and only buy books if they're good enough to read over and over and over again, or if I think they'll be hard-to-find when my kids are older and will want to read them.

Books are spread out all over the place in our house. I have two bookcases in my bedroom which are crammed full of books. There is also a bookcase in one of the spare rooms. Then there are two bookcases on the landing and then we have a mini-library type of room which just has bookcases lining the walls.

Most of my books are in the bookcase in the conservatory which isn't good as the spines are fading. However we are working on decorating our dining room and intend to buy lots of IKEA bookcases for it. At the moment I am dreaming of the day my books can stretch out and be displayed not in piles but in their full glory in the new bookshelves. Already I am having debates with myself on how to arrange them - alphabetical, classics together, fiction and non-fiction separate etc. Can't wait! :lol:

Well, I just managed to fit all the books I could find around the house (and believe me, they were EVERYWHERE) into my new display cabinet in the drawing room. I bought the cabinet for quite little from a shop that was closing near my house - it's antique mahogany, in perfect condition, with glass doors at the top (and display lights!) and curved solid doors at the bottom. It's stunning, I love it!

I've got 2 more bookshelves (twins) on either side of it in the DR, also filled with books. There is a fairly hefty display cabinet in the sitting room, filled with books (and also at this moment in time, random odds and ends shoved into the closed cabinets at the bottom), and ANOTHER bookshelf behind the sofa filled with cookbooks.

Then there's one shelf in my bedroom full of books, and another in the second bedroom, also full of books. By the end of the month, I'll have a unit built in the slight recess in the sitting room, where my telly now sits, that will house the stereo, the telly, and some more books; and also a pair of maHOOsive bookshelves on the facing wall in the drawing room, on either side of the fireplace (which is also getting replaced - woo hoo!). I love my cabinetmaker!

I always think I'll have plenty of room, but watch this space - in 6 months time I'll probably have all that filled and then some!

Where does everyone keep their books? Is it in the study? A fancy room? Bedroom?

I keep mine in the computer room on this tiny little shelf. I have more books then I do shelf room :lol:

For the last year I have promised myself to buy a new shelf, but instead I buy more books :D

Since we live in a bungalow we are limited for space. We have a bookcase in the living room which contains around 200 and a small bookcase in the conservatory which has another 60. The remainder we have between book ends in the computer room - another 25. I keep getting reminded that we need more shelf space :D. Maybe one day I will get around to the DIY involved.:lol:

All over the house.

The kitchen has a shelf of cookery books.

The living area has a bookase of mainly childrens books and oversize reference books. The front room has two large bookcases of fiction and non fiction arranged in author alphabetical order (OH not me!)

Upstairs the children have a large bookcase each full of books. The spare room has several full bookshelves and my bedroom has a full bookcase plus the window ledge filled with about 30 of my TBR books :lol:

Well, I just managed to fit all the books I could find around the house (and believe me, they were EVERYWHERE) into my new display cabinet in the drawing room. I bought the cabinet for quite little from a shop that was closing near my house - it's antique mahogany, in perfect condition, with glass doors at the top (and display lights!) and curved solid doors at the bottom. It's stunning, I love it!

I've got 2 more bookshelves (twins) on either side of it in the DR, also filled with books. There is a fairly hefty display cabinet in the sitting room, filled with books (and also at this moment in time, random odds and ends shoved into the closed cabinets at the bottom), and ANOTHER bookshelf behind the sofa filled with cookbooks.

Then there's one shelf in my bedroom full of books, and another in the second bedroom, also full of books. By the end of the month, I'll have a unit built in the slight recess in the sitting room, where my telly now sits, that will house the stereo, the telly, and some more books; and also a pair of maHOOsive bookshelves on the facing wall in the drawing room, on either side of the fireplace (which is also getting replaced - woo hoo!). I love my cabinetmaker!

I always think I'll have plenty of room, but watch this space - in 6 months time I'll probably have all that filled and then some!

You must have a HUGE house:blush::lol:

I keep mine in the bedroom and the computer room

After reading everyones posts I decided to take a bookcase out od the sparebedroom which was not getting used properly. I took it out of there and brought it up to the computer room and brought my books up to to join the ohter books that I have up here. So now I have all my books in one place but I was totaly knackered with all the moving of furniture.:lol:

right now my books are scattered- i have some in my shelf by my bed- i have others in the shed in anticipation of my move and others in my locker at wotk as i currently have three books in my bag and dont have any room for those- carm