Continue the Story Game

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a name given to me by a mate up there who said she might be able to give me some info about Gus Despicable. He's a client of hers you see. And you know how it is, one thing leads to another ...'

'Well did you find anything out about Gus?' asked Trixie.

'Interestingly enough, I did! Apparently ...

she actually has any USEFUL information about Gus! Really and truly, Bertie, if you're going to be a succesful detective, you must try to focus more on the salient details of the case and far less on the prurient side!'

It was Bertie's turn to look sulky now, 'Well, I thought it was pretty interesting, anyhow.'

'You would! At least we can report to Annabelle that we've found one place he hangs out, and she might not think our trip away has been a total waste of time and money.'

'Hey, not so much of the 'we', I found that out all by myself whilst you were gallivanting off with the Baubly man!'

And bickering away, as per usual, they ...

Edited by poppy

chuntered on at one another as they eventually rolled into the car park of the oh so secret detective agency run by Annabelle Chiffon.

Trixie mused to herself in silence regarding the apparent fact that her dalliance with Bauble had actually uncovered another criminal. One that Annabelle will have never heard of. And that , above all, shows Trixie that she is a really good amateur sleuth.

The office was empty so the two intrepid sleuths raided the biscuit box, ramming custard creams in like they were being banned tomorrow.

A sudden flurry of activity and woosh the door opened.

Annabelle was radiant.

'My 2 dears tell me....

...what information have you uncovered about Gus Despicable? The police have no clue, but that won't last long with Constable Dibble on the case. If we are to claim the reward, we must make haste. So tell me - did you uncover how Gus runs his operations?"

Bertie cleared his throat. It wasn't just the cloying texture of custard creams that was blocking his throat - Trixie's hand that suddenly squeezed his thigh confused him. Instead of using the "I" as he had been planning, he blurted out "We...

....errrr... we ..only found out from a masseuse for want of a better title...that Gus likes to be squirted with cream while reading a choir magazine.'

Trixie added ' Bertie was passing a place and came across Madame Hong Shin Lau and she told him..not I..about it. I do not attend massage parlours'.

'Well aren't we all....

Edited by itsmeagain

just little goody-goodies, then?'

'Why, do you Annabelle?' asked Trixie, now curious.

'Well, no, but, but .... enough about that for now. I'm really not interested in Despicable's less than savoury antics, I want something relevant.'

'I think you'll find that our discovery of another person involved in the Mudshoot mayhem is very relevant. During our investigations up north, we came across a certain Cyril Bauble, ...

Annabelle gulped .

'Bauble? Bauble? What a ..a...errrr..name?' she faltered.

'What's wrong with Bauble? It's a nice name. I was taken in by that man...handsome..suave ..sophisticated. ..how was I to know he,,,,?'

Suddenly jealous,Annabelle demanded ' What happened? I want the story now.'

'Well I ..we..got stuck in a ditch near Cambridge due to a satnav problem.

I was captivated by the charm and wit of a very handsome male who....

Edited by itsmeagain

whisked me away, wined and dined me, flattered me with extravagant compliments ...'

'And all the while I was stuck for hours and hours on the side of the road in the mud and cold, wind and rain waiting for the tyre repair man to arrive!' interrupted Bertie, indignantly.

'And all he was after really, was my purse, my driver's licence and my passport, the low-down sod!' continued Trixie, ignoring Bertie's bellyaching. 'But it wasn't a complete waste of time, we found out he's somehow in cohorts with Gus Despicable! What do you think of that, Annabelle?'

(ps Older Fish, thanks so much for joining in, great post! Keep them coming. No pressure :giggle2: )

At this point in walked Harriet bearing tea and coffee for all.

On hearing Cyril mentioned, she piped up with ' Oh Annabelle's husband...how sweet' and whistled the Dambusters tune as she somnolently poured tea into cups from a red teapot.

Trixie gasped.

' Oh well..we didn't really do much..just a bit of ....

'....light...fitting?' asked Bertie superciliously.

'That's it..light fitting..in his house well the light conked out and I held a chair and swivelled it whilst Cyril stood holding the bulb...it..'

Annabelle asked 'How many Baubles does it take to change a lightbulb?'

Edited by itsmeagain

...none.' Annabelle continued in an even, controlled tone, 'Because I know for a fact that he hates changing light bulbs. He has a fear of electricity. He always calls the electrician for that. The detective in me leads me to conclude that you are lying to me'

Annabelle aimed a withering glare at Trixie. 'Now come clean, wench. What did you do with my husband?'

Harriet held on to the empty tray with a gleeful face, as if she was watching a Mexican soap opera.

Her face visibly reddening, Trixie stammered, "I... I... We...

Edited by Older Fish

just had a cup of tea..then changed a light bulb. And anyway I never knew he was your other half. I wouldn't have anything to do with him had I known of that.

But all's well in hate and war as Churchill said to his deaf blind congregation.'

Silence....

Edited by itsmeagain

ensued,  everyone staring at her.

'Well that's got stuff all to do with it, Trixie!' exclaimed Annabelle.

Harriet started to giggle and hum the Get Smart theme song.

Trixie threw her a withering look and said 'Leaving aside the philanderings of Casanova Bauble, can we please concentrate on ...

...the issue at hand here? We need to find evidence that exposes Gus' complicity in the crime waves before the Police does. I don't know about any of you, but I need to pay rent this month.'

'Very well,' conceded Annabelle. "If you must know, Cyril and I have had our differences, and in the last couple of years, we have been, as you might say, estranged.'

'Does that mean you both go off and do things with total strangers, then?' interjected Bertie, with curiosity burning in his naive voice. A loud clang sounded as Harriet dropped the tray and doubled up with laughter.

'That'll be all, Harriet. Off you go now," commanded Annabelle in a brittle voice that suggested all sorts of medieval torture if the imperative was not promptly complied with. Still shaking with laughter, Harriet bent down to collect the tray.

'Blimey!', exclaimed Harriet, pointing to the underside of the table. 'What in...

'No, the underside of the table. Look, I think it might be a bug!' exclaimed Harriet excitedly.

'What kind of a bug? I'm very interested in bugs,' said Bertie, 'Did you know that in the event of a nuclear explosion, cockroaches ...'

'Shut up, Bertie! Let me look,' Annabelle peered under the table. 'Surrounded by imbeciles!' she muttered. 'It's just a piece of chewing gum! Now let's get some facts together.' She grabbed a pad and pen.

'Number 1. ...

Edited by poppy

My husband is a dirty thieving philandering toad . Two Gus Despicable rammed our car and a dutiful handsome bobby named Dibble said he is delighted that I have set two super sleuths on the case. Step forward Trixie..Step forward the redoubtable Bertram..'

Trixie said that she was delighted to be a part of such an up and at 'em crew of sleuths as this one. In Trixie's world view it was imperative that dross like Gus and Cyril....

Edited by itsmeagain

"Enough! This is not an award ceremony!" snapped Annabelle. "I have new tasks for both of you."

"Bertram, you will go rent a nondescript car, and stake out the Nobody Inn. If... umm... Mr Bauble happens to go in or out of that place, I want you to note down the times and... umm... in whose company he is. Take photos. There's a good lad."

Annabelle reached in to her purse and pulled out a small, exquisitely crafted glass perfume bottle. "As for you, Trixie, take this."

Trixie was overjoyed that Annabelle had forgiven her so quickly and was even offering her a gift. "Oh, thank you Annabelle. I will use this everyday," she effused.

"That's not for you to use, you little muppet!", exploded Annabelle. "There is a tracking device in the cap of that bottle. You will place it in your purse, dress innocently and walk around in the area where the purse snatchers are known to be active. When they grab your purse and run, we can track them to their hide out. That will eventually allow us to nail Gus."

"Oh, and one more detail," continued Annabelle...

Edited by Older Fish

buy yourselves a good map each. I don't want to hear any more excuses this time about faulty GPS's and going miles in the wrong direction!'

'But Annabelle, it WAS faulty!' exclaimed Trixie.

'Hush! That's enough now. Off you both go .'

'She's so damned patronizing, calling me a good lad, indeed,' muttered Bertie, 'and Harriet said she threw hers out the window in disgust and hit Gus Despicable! She wouldn't have ...