Where is your favourite reading place?

Spooncat

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jealous of people who can read whilst travelling.. I get travel sick! :D

I'm the same way, but it's not so bad on the bus. I used to have an hour bus commute for work everyday, and I could usually read for part of the time. But in a car? No way!!

The thing I found strange is that I used to be able to read in trains, but that was when they were the rickety old ones (1990ish.. I'm not that old! lol) - when they replaced them with the newer, smoother trains, not only could I not read, but I get a bit travel sick just travelling in them! :D

Poor you. :D I'm so lucky that I can read on any transport without it making me feel sick.

I always intend to read loads when I travel from Bath to London on the train, but I spend most of my time gazing out of the window at the scenery! :D

I'm jealous of people who can read whilst travelling.. I get travel sick! ;)

Aww, Michelle.. :D

I can read in the car, on planes, on buses. I don't hardly get travel sick, I'm one of the lucky ones. :D

Oh, poor Michelle! I can't imagine what I would do instead of reading or playing on my Nintendo DS, besides try to get my head comfortable for a cat nap. I always anticipate long trips excitedly since that's my time to get some serious uninterrupted reading done - but instead of choosing meatier books like I should, I usually go for page-turners:).

At Bible school, my desk can be comfortable if I have a big pillow behind me and my music on. It sounds like some people here like reading on their beds while they're at school, but mine's a bunk bed with six other girls whom I always retire much later after.

We have a nice ladies' lounge and co-ed lounge, both with nice cushy couches and tables, and sunlight-welcoming windowpanes, but the co-ed lounge can be pretty noisy.

At home when I was eleven or twelve, books like Harry Potter, Anne of Green Gables, and the Babysitter's Club series made it a wonderful game for me to find the sunniest spot in the house; would it be our living room, where I would lie on the couch instead of sitting with my feet off of it like I was supposed to? Or would it be on my comfy bed?

I'm jealous of people who can read whilst travelling.. I get travel sick! ;)

Me too! I can't even read a map or a leaflet while in the car :D Such a shame, imagine the reading we could fit in while the OH was driving :D What a waste.

I'm jealous of people who can read whilst travelling.. I get travel sick! :lol:

Poor you, I thought it was bad enough not being able to read when travelling by road, but at least I can read on a plane or a train.

I get travel sickness too. Can't even have a decent conversation with someone or I'll throw up :roll: . Saying that, a car or coach is much worse than a train. I can read on trains more than any other transport. At the mo the best place I can read is my boyfriends house (much to his annoyance), as my housemates are very noisy.

Edited by Maureen
Punctuation

I've started reading in front of our wood-burning fire downstairs, curled up on the settee. However, my favourite place is in my room, because I have a big window that lets in all the natural light. And a comfy chair with my desk next to it. :roll:

In the summer you can't beat sitting in the garden reading! That is my absolute favourite place. :friends0:

Oooh yes - can`t wait for summer, feet up in the garden, a long cool drink and a good book, bliss! :eek:

I obviously like chilling in my room with my lava lamp on and a cup of hot chocolate or something, it's very cool when there's a storm or something, it just makes everything exciting knowing that your wrapped up inside whilst the rain pours down outside idk.

Also, i absolutely love reading in libraries! Nothing beats the atmosphere.

Lastly, sometimes i'll go for random wanders to a forest or field or something and just sit and read for a while, it's peaceful and cool to be alone with your thoughts like that.

Snug in the corner of my sofa, with a cat on my lap, and the dog snoozing by my side. Preferably I'll be well fed and watered, and in no current need of the loo. The lighting should be comfortable for reading without being harsh, and no-one should have any need to disturb me......Ahhhhhhhh perfect! :eek:

I've not been to my local library in a while...not even sure where my card is. I have an awful habit of missing the due dates for books and now I have to pay fines. Apparently they have an I.T suite now so it's kinda noisy

I've not been to my local library in a while...not even sure where my card is. I have an awful habit of missing the due dates for books and now I have to pay fines. Apparently they have an I.T suite now so it's kinda noisy

My library send me out a reminder two days before the return date, so I know if I need to renew the book if I want to keep it longer, or return it to avoid a fine! I'm worried about the budget cuts in library services, especially the reduction in staff numbers, so I make a point of continuing to use my library as much as I can, just to support the service. It's essential for me, as I borrow audio books for my Dad, as well as using it to read the newest books of my favourite authors without having to wait for cheaper paperback versions of their latest book. Plus, I'm go to the monthly reading group meetings, and have read some excellent books I would never have dreamt of picking up otherwise. I must admit, I don't like the prevalence of computers in the small library we have in my town, but I don't use it for reading in, just for browsing for books, so it's no noisier than a shop with muzak playing, or other shoppers/shop assistants talking.

In the summer you can't beat sitting in the garden reading! That is my absolute favourite place. :blush:

Oh, you had to mention the 'S' word! :blush:

Cool drink, dappled sunlight, butterflies, bees, rustle of breeze through leaves, good book, and no pressing tasks.

ROLL ON SUMMER! :)