Anna's Reading in 2016

Anna Begins

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (148 pages)

Ha ha ha I loved this story and can't wait to read more of Ira Levin's material!

Stepford is a very strange community. When Joanna and Walter move in to their new home, almost immediately Joanna longs for companionship in the small town and tries to organize a woman's gathering, sort of like what the men have. One after one, all looking similar, the women decline. There is simply too much housework to do! The floors and plates dazzle Joanna...

Recommended

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (257 pages)

I am now totally taken with Ira Levin. Followed up Stepford Wives with the classic horror novel, Rosemary's Baby. It did not disappoint! Heart stopping, pounding, cheering, dismay, and shock, all in one package.

Rosemary Woodhouse and her struggling actor husband find the perfect apartment in New York, in The Branford. The building has a history of bad scenes- murderers, suicides, even some cannibalism... but that was way back, right? None of that stuff happens anymore.

Then elderly neighbors Minnie and Roman welcome and befriend Rosemary and Guy. When Rosemary gets pregnant, Minnie and Roman take a special interest in her welfare. As a sickened Rosemary becomes increasingly isolated, she begins to see the full intentions of Mimmie and Roman.

Recommended

I'm sorry to hear you had problems with your computer, but thank goodness Athena was able to help you out! :smile2: Glad to see you back and posting! 

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (148 pages)

Ha ha ha I loved this story and can't wait to read more of Ira Levin's material

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (257 pages)

I am now totally taken with Ira Levin. Followed up Stepford Wives with the classic horror novel, Rosemary's Baby. It did not disappoint! Heart stopping, pounding, cheering, dismay, and shock, all in one package.

Awww yay for loving Levin! :D I first read RB for a certain book challenge, and I didn't expect to like it so much... It was really, really creepy!! :o I then read Sliver which I also loved, and then The Stepford Wives. RB has a sequel which I've yet to read... Do you think you will read it? :)  

Awww yay for loving Levin! :D I first read RB for a certain book challenge, and I didn't expect to like it so much... It was really, really creepy!! :o I then read Sliver which I also loved, and then The Stepford Wives. RB has a sequel which I've yet to read... Do you think you will read it? :)

I hope this quoting works, I am still getting help using the IPad from my 7 year old :P

Ah- another Levin fan :). You've read a lot by him! I saw the movie for Sliver but that should be next. I'm a little daunted by The Boys From Brazil. I don't know if I will read the sequel or not, but I definitely want to see the movie. In fact, Levin never considered his work that great and thought the movie led to a bunch of horror rubish. But apparently, Roman Polanski tried to follow it as closely as possible, going so far as to ask Levin what dress Rosemary would be wearing in a certain scene. Levin admitted he had no idea :P

I've heard of The Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby, but never seen the movies and didn't know they were based on books. I might look them up!

Ah, both great, but I can recommend not seeing Stepford Wives, it was awful, I turned it off right away. Haven't seen Rosemary' Baby... yet! Levin writes so well, I'd definitely recommend his books over the movies (not that you were planning that!). At the time, I had no idea he had written Stepford Wives or Sliver... I didn't even know who he was.

I have The Stepford Wives, Rosemary's Baby and This Perfect Day on my TBR pile, so I've been really pleased to see that you've been enjoying them! Looks like I'll be bumping them up the TBR pile! :)

Ah- another Levin fan :). You've read a lot by him! I saw the movie for Sliver but that should be next. I'm a little daunted by The Boys From Brazil. I don't know if I will read the sequel or not, but I definitely want to see the movie. In fact, Levin never considered his work that great and thought the movie led to a bunch of horror rubish. But apparently, Roman Polanski tried to follow it as closely as possible, going so far as to ask Levin what dress Rosemary would be wearing in a certain scene. Levin admitted he had no idea :P

I've seen Sliver, too, it was okay. I did prefer the book though. Why are you daunted by TBFB? I personally feel like the blurb doesn't really speak to me... :unsure::blush: I've not seen RB the movie and I don't think I'm very keen, either... I don't like that sort of movies :blush: The book was so good I don't want it tarnished! That's so cool about Polanski, poor Levin not having a clue :D 

I have The Stepford Wives, Rosemary's Baby and This Perfect Day on my TBR pile, so I've been really pleased to see that you've been enjoying them! Looks like I'll be bumping them up the TBR pile! :)

I think you'd like both, but A Perfect Day is going a bit slow, although that might be my fault!

I've seen Sliver, too, it was okay. I did prefer the book though. Why are you daunted by TBFB? I personally feel like the blurb doesn't really speak to me... :unsure::blush: I've not seen RB the movie and I don't think I'm very keen, either... I don't like that sort of movies :blush: The book was so good I don't want it tarnished! That's so cool about Polanski, poor Levin not having a clue :D

I don't like horror films either, but I am so anxious to see what they did (RB) with it. The blurb doesn't really appeal to me either, but then again, I can count his books as reliable and thought provoking, so I will probably read it eventually. Edited by Anna Begins

This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (320 pages)

So I read 166 pages of this book before I was ready for a nap. I see Levin moral dilemma's in the book, but find them banal. A definite surprise from Levin's other two, more shocking novels- The Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby that I enjoyed immensely. I love books that trick me, I never try to figure out the end of books and I have never "cheated" :P. Until This Perfect Day. Now, part of this could be that This Perfect Day was a script for a lot of books of this type and perhaps the book was amazing in it's time. Perhaps it's been ripped off so much, it is simply cliche now. Whatever the case, I'd say give it a try and see for yourself. If it's a TBR book, don't dismiss it, because it can be a good dystopian.

This Perfect Day is about Chip (who's real name is Li... or USA314795 or something of the like). The utopian society he lives in is controlled by a main computer that keeps everyone in check with bracelets that scan where they go or what they need and treatments of chemicals. Chip was given the nickname by his grandfather and starts thinking of his grandfather's subversive thoughts. He has a treatment and then feels healed. But Chip starts to realize, just before a treatment, he thinks more of what his grandfather told him. Then, it's off to another treatment. Does free will exist? What makes a person a human?

Predictable and disappointing.

We the Living by Ayn Rand (470 pages)

"She looked up into his face and felt as though she were a priestess, her soul lost in the corners of a god's arrogant mouth; as if she were a priestess and a sacrificial offering, both and beyond both, shameless in her laughter, choking, something rising within her, too hard to bear."

~Kira falling in love with Leo

After 30% of this book, I could tell it was going to be good, maybe even becoming my favorite Ayn Rand novel... which says a lot because it's pretty hard to top Atlas Shrugged for me. In fact, We the Living could become one of my most memorable reads.

This was my fourth Ayn Rand book (Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead and Anthem), and this has been one of the most entertaining one of all. You wouldn't think a book set in dystopian Soviet Russia could be laugh out loud, but I did catch myself laughing at just how cool the main character is... and I usually don't laugh :P

Published in 1936, We the Living is a love story, a beautiful one. At the center is Kira, who is in love with (and loved by) Leo, a counter- revolutionary. Kira also is loved by the head of the secret police, Andrei. Rand doesn't force feed objectivism or really overload readers with too much philosophy, but is extra sharp with the character's feelings, actions and discussions. The symbolism is amazing and the story is entirely captivating, I read it in 2 days (but pulled an all nighter, thanks insomnia!).

This book isn't like Atlas Shrugged and (ugh) really not like The Fountainhead... so if you want to try some of her work, but are sort of daunted, this is a GREAT story. Almost Rand- lite :)

I really respect Ayn Rand, but I will always have problems with her "objectivism", as I don't believe in free will and objectivism doesn't support my beliefs. On it's basis, ya, it's just a different way to see life. Rand was an an intelligent woman, philosopher, free thinker, activist and writer. And her writing has always proved to be something to be pondered.

Highly recommended.

I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much :). You read it really quickly! Great review :D.

Thanks for reading all that review lol. I did enjoy it a ton (as you know because I've raved over it) and am so glad my reading is going well... I'm racing you with Flow My Tears ;)

I don't like horror films either, but I am so anxious to see what they did (RB) with it. The blurb doesn't really appeal to me either, but then again, I can count his books as reliable and thought provoking, so I will probably read it eventually.

This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (320 pages)

So I read 166 pages of this book before I was ready for a nap. I see Levin moral dilemma's in the book, but find them banal. A definite surprise from Levin's other two, more shocking novels- The Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby that I enjoyed immensely. I love books that trick me, I never try to figure out the end of books and I have never "cheated" :P. Until This Perfect Day. Now, part of this could be that This Perfect Day was a script for a lot of books of this type and perhaps the book was amazing in it's time. Perhaps it's been ripped off so much, it is simply cliche now. Whatever the case, I'd say give it a try and see for yourself. If it's a TBR book, don't dismiss it, because it can be a good dystopian.

Predictable and disappointing.

I'm sorry to see your views of Levin going from the statement above to finding his novel TPD predictable and disappointing :( I felt you were pretty psyched about finding such a great author so I can only imagine how disappointing TPD was :( 

That sounds really intriguing. I too do not believe in free will, but I don't know (or possibly remember since college) much about objectivism. Might look it up.

It's a pretty controversial philosophy. I think you'd like it, I'm still thinking about it. I've never known another person that doesn't believe in free will.

I'm sorry to see your views of Levin going from the statement above to finding his novel TPD predictable and disappointing :( I felt you were pretty psyched about finding such a great author so I can only imagine how disappointing TPD was :(

I know, right? But I'm not giving up on him, I still have some of his books yet tbr.

Thanks both, for reading the reviews! :)

Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said by Phillip K Dick (259 pages)

This might be the strangest PKD to date. This is his 5th book oh his for me.

From Amazon (snipped for spoiler)

Flow My Tears... grapples with the many themes Phillip K Dick is known for- identity, altered reality, drug use and dystopia- Flow My Tears earned him the John W Campbell Award and nominations for the Hugo and Nebula.

Me:

What a mind bender! Jason Taverner is a famous TV host with millions of viewers. One day, he wakes to find no one knows who he is. Does he even exist? He's not in the database of the totalitarian Government that holds records of everyone in Terra and Mars. With no identification, his journey to find himself is begins.

From the author of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Total Recall, and Minority Report.

Recommended, if you like weird books :P

Edited by Anna Begins

The Hanging Stranger by Phillip K Dick (30 pages)

"There is a body hanging from the lamppost," Loyce said. "I'm going to call the cops."

"They must know about it," Potter said. "Otherwise it wouldn't be there."

Who was the man? Why is he hanging there? What does it mean?

Recommended, free on Amazon.

I'm glad we read Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said, together :). I'm glad you really enjoyed it.

The short story sounds nice. Unfortunately Amazon charges me $0.99 - 2.00 for it (depending on the version), it's not free for the Netherlands :(.