Anna's Reading in 2016

Anna Begins

Oh, wasn't The Other Boleyn Girl good??  I can highly recommend the next one too, The Boleyn Inheritance. 

Thanks for stepping into my blog :)  It is good to see you back around :)

:D

Thanks for the heads up - I`ve put The Boleyn Inheritance in my ` purchase at some point` list.  :smile:

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, man.  What a treasure your grandfather's trove would have been!  Maybe keep an eye out at library sales and estate sales.

Here is L'Amour's website.  It has the order.  http://www.louislamour.com/sackett/

It was!  Looking back, I think they made a huge impression on me, so many books!  :wub:  Thanks for the link!

If you start with book 1 you should keep in mind that it takes place in England. The books that take place in the Old West don't start, I believe, until book 3 or maybe late in book 2. It would be an enjoyable read if you did "all" the Sacketts.

I will (try) to get to them, probably try to read the first 3, just to get to the Old West and read a "true" western.  I do think I am going to give Last of the Breed a go this year though.

:D

Thanks for the heads up - I`ve put The Boleyn Inheritance in my ` purchase at some point` list.  :smile:

I don't think you will be disappointed!  I couldn't put it down!  In fact, just talking about Gregory, make me want to pick up another books of hers right now :D

Haven't been feeling so well for the past couple of weeks, so haven't been on the forum lately.  Focusing on reading has been really difficult and even with the Immersion audio books.  So I've put off some books and have been listening to my music the past few days.  I decided to listen from A to Z now, I started last night with 1% by Jane's Addiction and now have made it to Easy by the Commodores.

Hope to get back to audio versions of The Stand and Caroline Knapp's Appetites soon :(

Haven't been feeling so well for the past couple of weeks, so haven't been on the forum lately.  Focusing on reading has been really difficult and even with the Immersion audio books.  So I've put off some books and have been listening to my music the past few days.  I decided to listen from A to Z now, I started last night with 1% by Jane's Addiction and now have made it to Easy by the Commodores.

Hope to get back to audio versions of The Stand and Caroline Knapp's Appetites soon :(

Hope you are feeling better soon Anna and that you enjoy 'The Stand' :)

Hope you are feeling better soon Anna and that you enjoy 'The Stand' :)

I am enjoying The Stand.  I've read it once, but that was years ago, it's interesting how certain events trigger others in a re-read.  I'm doing it on audio and my focus is getting a lot better, so hopefully, I can either speed up the narration or actually read it myself!  The audio is some 40 hours lol

Hope you start feeling better soon, Anna. :smile:

I hope you feel better soon :friends0::flowers2:.

Get well soon !  :smile:

That is very appreciated and nice, thank you all!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you are feeling some better by now.  It's nigh impossible to concentrate on much of anything when you're sick. 

I hope you are feeling some better by now.  It's nigh impossible to concentrate on much of anything when you're sick. 

Aw- Thanks :)  I saw you weren't feeling so well yourself, I'm glad you are feeling better now.

I am still having problems reading, but I am listening to a heck of a lot of music!

I missed your original post but I'm sorry to hear you're poorly.  :hug:  Music is great and there is no point in forcing the reading - it'll come back when it... and you... are ready.  :)

You made my day :)  Thanks Janet, for the comforting words.

Hi Anna

Just popping in. Hope you're on the mend now?

That's very nice of you to visit my blog :)

Reading wise, I'm doing great ;). Have you heard about Hitler Out of Time? It sounds crazy lol

(posted for Anna, who's having some computer trouble so can't format her reviews)

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (288 pages)

From Amazon:

Sylvia Plath's shocking, realistic, and intensely emotional novel about a woman falling into the grip of insanity.

My thoughts:

In the depths of severe depression, I chose to re-read The Bell Jar, one I read in high school. I thought I could identify with Plath- scarily and unfortunately, I did.

The story, about Esther Greenwood (Plath) and her slow decent into depression reflects that of Plath, who met a tragic end at the young age of 30. The love I have for this woman has transcended over the years, as her painful life was a constant struggle and her writing- and understanding of her pain- is simply amazing.

(see above, this review is written by Anna Begins)

The Walls Around Us by Nora Ren Suma (337 pages)

(From Amazon, edited by me due to spoiler)

The Walls Around Us is a ghostly story of suspense told in two voices. On the outside, there's Violet, an 18 year old ballerina days away from the life of her dreams. On the inside, within the walls of a girl's detention center, there's Amber, locked up for so long she can't imagine freedom. Trying these world together is Orianna. What really happened on the night Orianna stepped between Violet and her tormentors? Will Amber, Violet and Orianna ever get the justice they deserve- in this life or another one?

My thoughts:

This seemingly "normal" book doesn't take long to turn strange. It's taken me about two days to process this book and I am still unsure of what I've experienced. Particularly neat were quotes at the beginning of each chapter from a book: starting with The Handmaid's Tale.

I think if you liked Only Ever Yours or similar books, you will probably like The Walls Around Us. Atwood fans would get a kick too, as it is just such a strange book.

Recommended, so I can discuss with someone :)

A Face in the Crowd by Stephen King and Stewart O' Nan (16 pages)

From Amazon (snipped)

Dean Evers, an elderly widower, sits in front of the television with nothing better to do than waste his leftover evenings watching baseball.

Me:

This Kindle Single was a really good one. Behind homeplate, Evers starts seeing people from his past that he has wronged in his life. But wait- aren't those people dead already?

Evers decides to go to a game and find out. Is he having a breakdown? The beginnings of dementia?

A welcome surprise to my nightly insomnia and a fun addition to my read a thon.

Recommended

The Girl From Krakow by Alex Rosenberg (454 pages)

"We can't waste time wondering what this war means in human history. Human history doesn't mean anything. The war is just a catastrophe no different from a new ice age, only happening much faster, more like the Black Death."

~ Rita, applying Darwin to WWII

Rita Feuerstahl is an Aryan looking Jewish woman studying law in Krakow just before the war begins. Rapidly falling into a lovless marriage, Rita and Urs move to Karpatyn and have a son. An affair on her part and a botched suicide on his part, the war arrives and splits everyone up. After sending her son to her parents for safety back to Poland, The Girl From Krakow has many surprises in Rita's life that may or may not save her- living with forged documents, meeting random strangers, working as housekeeping for Nazi's, trying to blend in and sort of succeeding. Mixed in is some philosophy (the author teaches at Duke University) and always those same questions- why did I survive when so many others did not?

What a wonderful read, I couldn't put it down and finished in two days.