Anna's Reading in 2016

Anna Begins

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good :)! I didn't know about the titles, the Dutch translations have 'book 1', 'book 2' etc. on the spine so it's just a matter of waiting until they have one that says 'book 1'. They do own it, it's just been loaned out a lot :giggle2:.

Great review :).

Thanks- I wanted the review to do it justice!

I look forward to sharing the Little House books with you whenever :)

Excellent review of When Paris Went Dark! It's going straight onto my wishlist. :)

I hope you like it, it was fascinating and a well written read.

:giggle: You're welcome!

When Paris Went Dark is going on my wish list too. :)

It looks like normal and I am thankful :P  I hope you enjoy When Paris Went Dark when you get it to it!

Thanks for the positive comments on the review, I was a bit timid :blush2:  :smile:

Eye in the Sky- Phillip K. Dick (244 pages)

Something about a Phillip K. Dick book makes me feel like I am falling down a rabbit hole. Dealing with what is right or wrong depending on not what a man does but on what he feels, Phillip K. Dick writes an fascinating novel about eight people that are in a radiation accident and wake up to find themselves in a revolving number of worlds.

With the feeling of disorientation that the characters feel, Dick gives us lots of philosophical undertones, ones of morals, religion, how one sees the world and free will. Asking questions like does salvation function without damnation and does virtue exist without sin, Eye in the Sky is terrifying, claustrophobic, and mind bending.

All in 255 pages, PKD’s specialty.

Recommended.

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm glad you enjoyed this book :)! PKD is one of a kind, isn't he? At least, I haven't read many other books by other authors, that are like his. I might read this one someday, maybe I can find it cheap somewhere :).

Thanks for checking out my review!  I agree, his books are really different.  I'm glad of the size of them, they feel so complete when done.  I definitely recommend Eye in the Sky to any Phillip K Dick fan.  Might not be the best to start with, but it's a great novel.

Thanks for checking out my review!  I agree, his books are really different.  I'm glad of the size of them, they feel so complete when done.  I definitely recommend Eye in the Sky to any Phillip K Dick fan.  Might not be the best to start with, but it's a great novel.

I've put it on my 'Books people from BCF recommended me in 2016' list :)!

I've put it on my 'Books people from BCF recommended me in 2016' list :)!

I'd love to hear your opinion on the ending!

You made Eye In The Sky sound amazing. I've never read anything by him, but I'm tempted to read that. Do you think I would like it?

Thanks!  Yes, I think you would.  It's a head trip.  But everything by Dick is!  From what I gather, you either like him or hate him!

Thanks!  Yes, I think you would.  It's a head trip.  But everything by Dick is!  From what I gather, you either like him or hate him!

Intriguing...  I think I actually have one of his on my tablet. I like how you described Eye In The Sky though. I shall see, I should definitely try *something* by him.

A Scanner Darkly entered my top 10 of all time last year.  I've also read Man in the High Castle, but that one is ok.  I hope to read one of his others, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said later this year :)  If I had to nail it down, he's like, a mix between Hunter Thompson, William S Burrows and Chuck Palahniuk :P 

I sowwy! It's on my list! I read Guts by Palahnuik, and have been meaning to go back to him, but just haven't yet!

Recommend me something by each of the other two :)

You might like Damned by Palahniuk, its, IMO his easiest and most sane novel.  13 year old Madison is in hell from a marijuana overdose :P

By Thompson.  Well, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is the big one.  I think you'd like the weirdness of Fear and Loathing, but not sure you would like all the drug humor.  If you'd be fine with that, go with Fear and Loathing :)  It is still one of my favorite books (talking top 50 here lol)

Burrows.  Well, again, Naked Lunch is his most famous, I couldn't get through it, it's pretty gross.  Instead, I would recommend Junkie, which in itself, would represent Burrows just fine.

Thompson and Burrows are not for everyone, but their writing was definitely on the edge during their generations.

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer. Narrated by Scott Brick. 432 pages, 12h 37m

WOW. What a read.

Jon Krakauer is best known best for his wonderful biography of Chris McCandleless called Into the Wild and made into an even better movie directed by Sean Penn. In Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, Krakauer again sets up a great book with an investigative type piece of journalism about the Fundamentalist Mormon sects that live in North America. Exploring the intricacies of plural marriage and the incest that surround them, the book is filled with true life events of those who have escaped and those of the Fundamentalist leaders themselves.

The facts are stunning, 6 wives, 37 children, women married to their step brothers and fathers. I know a lot about the major news events of the religion, but it was fascinating and disturbing to hear the details of the FLDS religion itself, of which I know very little (as is in their nature). The news events of Tom Green, Elizabeth Smart and others were of particular interest.

Always a defender of the right to practice one’s own religion and a devout critic of what went down in Texas in 2006, when over 400 children were taken from their mothers, I quickly changed my mind about these views.

Edited by Anna Begins

Some great reviews, Anna.  I particularly am drawn to the Paris occupation story. 

I'll second muggle's recommendation of The Sacketts.  There are about 19 or 20 of them, as I recall.  I bought them a good 25 years ago from one of the book clubs in the form of 5 hardbacks.  They're in chronological order there, and were absolutely wonderful!  They span several hundred years, from England to the American West.  Great stuff.

I'm glad this book was interesting for you :). It wouldn't be a book for me at all, but I liked reading your review and am glad you found it interesting to listen to.

No, I don't think it would be, but you would probably find it very interesting, the belief systems of the faith.  I am always interested in finding out different ways people live, this was... quite the insight.

Some great reviews, Anna.  I particularly am drawn to the Paris occupation story. 

I'll second muggle's recommendation of The Sacketts.  There are about 19 or 20 of them, as I recall.  I bought them a good 25 years ago from one of the book clubs in the form of 5 hardbacks.  They're in chronological order there, and were absolutely wonderful!  They span several hundred years, from England to the American West.  Great stuff.

Thanks Kate :)  You will not be disappointed by When Paris Went Dark, it is definitely one of two books this year that have been my favorites (^^ Under the Banner of Heaven would be the other).

I was just looking at some Sacketts the other day!  They have a large selection of his work on Amazon's audiobooks.  I suppose there is a Wiki with the order somewhere?  I should start with book 1, ya?  I don't know if I would read them all, but I have never read any western before.  My grandfather was a great admirer of L'Amour's and had a whole end table filled with them.  I wish I had them now!

No, I don't think it would be, but you would probably find it very interesting, the belief systems of the faith.  I am always interested in finding out different ways people live, this was... quite the insight.

Thanks Kate :)  You will not be disappointed by When Paris Went Dark, it is definitely one of two books this year that have been my favorites (^^ Under the Banner of Heaven would be the other).

I was just looking at some Sacketts the other day!  They have a large selection of his work on Amazon's audiobooks.  I suppose there is a Wiki with the order somewhere?  I should start with book 1, ya?  I don't know if I would read them all, but I have never read any western before.  My grandfather was a great admirer of L'Amour's and had a whole end table filled with them.  I wish I had them now!

If you start with book 1 you should keep in mind that it takes place in England. The books that take place in the Old West don't start, I believe, until book 3 or maybe late in book 2. It would be an enjoyable read if you did "all" the Sacketts.

Oh, man.  What a treasure your grandfather's trove would have been!  Maybe keep an eye out at library sales and estate sales.

Here is L'Amour's website.  It has the order.  http://www.louislamour.com/sackett/

Does that mean that I have a treasure trove since I have in hardback every single book that L'Amour has written.:) 

Ah, what a joy it was to read them all.

I need to determine who to leave them to in my will. One of my granddaughters wants all my John Steinbeck books.