Anna's Reading in 2016

Anna Begins

The China documentary was excellent; Michael Woods really came across as loving the Country, People and Culture. Just fascinating to learn so much about the various Eras.:)

I've not seen any of Ken Burns' work, though obviously I'm aware of it. I think the docu series on jazz was his first one ?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to look out for Michael Woods... I see Amazon has one on India... I assume that is the same Michael Woods?

yes - if you have a multi-region DVD player, here`s the UK DVD for the China docu. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-China-DVD-Michael-Wood/dp/B01AV623KM/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1470575489&sr=1-1&keywords=michael+woods+china

:)

The Virgin's Lover (The Tudor Court Series Book 5) by Philippa Gregory (487 pages)

This novel about Robert Dudley's wife, Amy, disappoints. Robert Dudley was the supposed lover of Elizabeth I and Amy's death remains a mystery to this day.

Gregory paints one of my strongest female loves as weak and helplessly in love. In The Virgin's Lover, Elizabeth is debilitated in her passion for Dudley, beyond all reason and unable to make any decisions without him. Pale and picking her cuticles bloody when apart from him, she is portrayed as feeble and powerless. Supposedly a romantic tale, this book depicts Elizabeth as unsound and unstable. Amy's parts are the best part of the book, but come few and far between, even though this historical fiction is supposed to be about her side of the affair.

Dragging on, Gregory attempts to throw in conflicts with France, Scotland, Mary of Guise and spatterings of Mary Queen of Scots. This falls flat as well, dealt with in a superficial manner, when in reality they shaped Elizabeth's reign.

Lots of emphasis is put on women not being able to rule as a king or a man, which I found particularly insulting to Elizabeth's memory because she did rule as good- if not better- than any king. Taking great liberties, Gregory strays from the truth, unlike in her Cousin's War series about Elizabeth Woodville.

Near hysterical throughout the book, Elizabeth is shallow and consumed by her love for Dudley and constantly wishes for Amy's death.

I guess I just know too much about Elizabeth I to let this book take over. Giggling and "smiling like a school girl" Elizabeth is a fool in The Virgin's Lover. Probably the worst- definitely the worst- book I've read all year.

I'm so sorry this book wasn't enjoyable for you at all :(. I really don't like it when women are portrayed as 'weaker' / less able to make decisions / rule and all that, than is historically accurate.

I hope your next read will be much better.

• 1 month later...

After the disastrous Philippa Gregory novel, The Virgin's Lover (Tudor Court series book 5) I managed three more books in August, giving me 5 books and 2,385 pages read for the month. I slacked off on reviewing those three books (The Girl On the Train and another Philippa Gregory book that was awesome, Three Sisters, Three Queens and a 're read of the first Jack Reacher book). I didn't review TGOtT because I felt I couldn't without giving something away. I really liked the book though.

Then came September and I just. couldn't. finish. a. book. I tried many I liked and every trick I could think of- short chapters, re reads, history, etc. Today I finished my first book since the end of August and it took me 4 days. Here's my review:

Edited by Anna Begins

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (322 pages)

This book is a great little YA romance. I stepped out of my normal fare and took a chance on it after a rare spontaneous buy during a Daily Deal.

I've always wanted to read something by Rainbow Rowell and this was a cute book.

It's the 80's and one day, high school sophomore Park is sitting in his seat on the bus when a new girl- in boys clothes and strips of cloth in her hair- climbs aboard and looks for a seat. Harassed by the back of the bus for looking so different, Eleanor is angrily told by Park to sit down and he begrudgingly slides over in his seat. Thus, begins the story of Eleanor and Park.

Rowell gives us two characters that immediately draw you in. Written in short chapters and sub chapters, each one is from the perspective of Eleanor or Park- but not in their voice, which is unusual but worked. The story isn't uneventful, but isn't knock out oh my either. I enjoyed it a lot though, it got better and better as the book went along, really sucking me in in the last 20%.

I hated the ending though.

Definitely worth $1.99.

Edited by Anna Begins

Off to look up Eleanor and Park.:)

Hopefully your reading mojo is back now ; I sometimes stick to magazines if I really can't get into any books ( I get Oprah, American Vogue, Red and the Australian Women's Weekly - all have book reviews :) ).

Edited by Little Pixie

What are the 3 best books you have read so far this year?

This is a terrible reading year for me.

:( I'm sorry, I'm not having the best myself! It's going to see you around :)

I've been lucky in that all the books-except for a few- have been really good. But think you'd really like The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. When Paris Went Dark by Ronald C Rosbottom was definitely one of my favorites. You might also like The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Have you read anything by her before?

Off to look up Eleanor and Park.:)

Hopefully your reading mojo is back now ; I sometimes stick to magazines if I really can't get into any books ( I get Oprah, American Vogue, Red and the Australian Women's Weekly - all have book reviews :) ).

I hope you like it if you get around to it!

I could barely get get through BBC History Magazine!

That is a shame you didn't enjoy The Virgin's Lover. I hope it did not spoil the series for you.

I didn't get to The Queens Fool because I thought the premise was stupid and I couldn't get into The Other Queen, but I read the rest of them. They were good, but not like The Cousins War series. I did like Three Sisters, Three Queens though (her latest, a stand alone).

Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed Eleanor & Park :). I plan to read the book some day.

I'm glad you had a nice reading time in August, but I'm sorry it was so hard in September :(. I hope your reading troubles are over for at least a while now :friends0:.

Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed Eleanor & Park :). I plan to read the book some day.I'm glad you had a nice reading time in August, but I'm sorry it was so hard in September :(. I hope your reading troubles are over for at least a while now :friends0:.

I think you'll like it:)

I hope so too, but so far, so good, I guess. One book in by the 7th isn't great, but it's better than no books read for a while month!

I think you'll like it:)

I hope so too, but so far, so good, I guess. One book in by the 7th isn't great, but it's better than no books read for a while month!

I'll be sure to read it one day :).

That's very true! I hope you'll be able to read some more books the rest of the month :).

:( I'm sorry, I'm not having the best myself! It's going to see you around :)

I've been lucky in that all the books-except for a few- have been really good. But think you'd really like The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. When Paris Went Dark by Ronald C Rosbottom was definitely one of my favorites. You might also like The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Have you read anything by her before?

I have read The Nightingale and loved it. I may check out When Paris Went Dark. I haven't read anything by Jodi Picoult, not sure she would be up my creek. :)

I've not had the best reading year either but like you I am focusing on the great books I have read rather than dwelling over my growing TBR pile! :blush2: I too loved The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah is definitely one of my favourite authors, have you read any of her other books?  :readingtwo:

• 2 weeks later...

Pyongyang by Guy Delisle (176 pages)

Graphic novel

This is a great graphic novel about Guy Delisle's two months spent working in North Korea.

From Canada, Guy is an animator sent to North Korea to work on a cartoon. His observations and comments about some of the... "uniqueness" of the country that is known as the Hermit Kingdom are stark but dealt with a chuckling humor. From the mountain high statues of Kim Jong il to the pins every citizen is required to wear over their hearts, the graphic novel was a wonderful approach to telling his story.

Long interested in the goings on of North Korea and not a graphic novel reader, I was pleasantly surprised by my enjoyment of this work.

Recommended

I've not had the best reading year either but like you I am focusing on the great books I have read rather than dwelling over my growing TBR pile! :blush2: I too loved The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah is definitely one of my favourite authors, have you read any of her other books?  :readingtwo:

I don't know how this totally slipped by me!

I've only read The Nightingale, but wow! What a book. I think it's my favorite of the year. What would you recommend for a second? I have samples for Winter Garden and Home Front.

I don't know how this totally slipped by me!

I've only read The Nightingale, but wow! What a book. I think it's my favorite of the year. What would you recommend for a second? I have samples for Winter Garden and Home Front.

Winter Garden possibly if you enjoyed the war aspect of The Nightingale, Home Front was great too but more modern. Night Road was the first of her I read and very emotional and I want to read it again to see how it stands against The Nightingale now.

Winter Garden possibly if you enjoyed the war aspect of The Nightingale, Home Front was great too but more modern. Night Road was the first of her I read and very emotional and I want to read it again to see how it stands against The Nightingale now.

Once I start reading again *roll eyes* I will probably check out Home Front first, it sounds like something I normally wouldn't read.

Once I start reading again *roll eyes* I will probably check out Home Front first, it sounds like something I normally wouldn't read.

I hope you are able to get around to it soon, I do like Kristin's books although I wasn't so keen on Firefly Lane and Fly Away.