Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Monica Furlong - Doran 3: Colman (Colman). It took me a bit of time to get into this book. I couldn't quite remember where the story left off. Gladly, things became clear after a while and I enjoyed the rest of the book much more than I did the first ~20 pages. I liked this book less than the first 2 books. The narrator of this book is Colman, and he was a different character than the narrators of the first two books. His voice sounded different and the two main characters from the first two books (one for each one), were shown more from a slight distance this way. I did like the book though, and I was satisfied with the events that happened. I guess I would've liked to see them from a different point of view, perhaps. But anyway.. I'm glad I read the book and have now read the end of the trilogy. I had read books 1 and 2 when I was a teenager, and again last year. But I'd never read book 3, so I guess it was also missing the 'nostalgia' factor, too.

I read Jenny Han - Aan Alle Jongens Van Wie Ik Hield 1: Aan Alle Jongens Van Wie Ik Hield (To All The Boys I've Loved Before 1: To All The Boys I've Loved Before). This was a nice book. There were a couple of things I liked less about it (but I can't say due to spoilers), but overall I did enjoy reading the book. Despite the few minor problems I had with it, I'd still like to read the second book in this duology. Hopefully this first one, the translation published in 2016, will sell well enough for them to translate the second book. I loaned this book from the library, so hopefully they'll have the second book once it's translated. The story ties up some threads but not everything is 'resolved' yet if that makes sense. It's enough that I can live with it though, gladly (I really don't like huge cliffhangers). Anyway.. I enjoyed reading the book. The main character is half Korean, which is something I don't often see in books, that was nice. I quite liked the character of Margot (the sister of the main character) but really didn't like Chris (the best friend of the main character). I guess, you win some, you lose some :P. Overall I enjoyed reading this book, but I had a few minor problems with it.

And now for the read a thon!

Yes :D! I'm looking forward to it.

I downloaded a free Kindle e-book:

Elly Griffiths - The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 1: The Crossing Places

(Thanks Sarah! (Little Pixie))

I also bought a Kindle e-book:

Susan Hatler - Kissed by the Bay 3: Just One Kiss

(I didn't like the last book I read by her, but I really liked all the ones before it. So I'm giving her another chance. I liked the first two books in this series).

For the June read-a-thon I read:

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitters Club 45: Kristy and the Baby Parade (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 46: Inge Mist Tim! (The Babysitters Club 46: Mary Anne Misses Logan (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub Mystery 1: Petra en de Verdwenen Ring (The Babysitters Club Mystery 1: Stacey and the Missing Ring) (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 29: De Cock en de Moord in Brons

Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Horrible Histories: Even More Terrible Tudors (I think I liked this one slightly more than The Terrible Tudors)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 17: Het Spook van de Metro (Il Fantasma del Metrò)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 27: Een Muizenissige Vakantie (Quella Stratopica Vacanza Alle Pensione Mirasorci...)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 32: Het Geheim van Kerstmis (Il Mistero Degli Elfi)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 35: Geheim Agent Nul Nul K (Agente Segeto Zero Zero Kappa)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 69: Bombarie in Brazilië (Grosso Guaio in Mato Grosso)

Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 5: Muis Overboord! (Allarme... Topo in Mare!)

Geronimo Stilton - Het Boekje over Geluk (Il Piccolo Libro della Felicità)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 5: De Verborgen Stad (La Città Segreta)

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia IX: De Fenomenale Reis (Grande Ritorno nel Regno della Fantasia) (this was soooo good! It's the biggest Stilton book I've currently read, and it was amazing.)

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia X (Nono Viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia)

Jeff Kinney - Het Leven van een Loser 8: Gedumpt (Diary of a Wimpy Kid 8: Hard Luck)

Lincoln Peirce - Niek de Groot 4: Niek de Groot Kladt Erop Los (Big Nate Goes For Broke)

Sebastien Perez and Benjamin Lacombe - Superhelden Lusten Geen Spruitjes (Les Super-héros Détestent les Artichauts)

Michael Morpurgo (ill. Catherine Rayner) - Clare and her Captain

Kate Pankhurst - Mariella Mystery 7: Mariella Mystery Investigates The Disappearing Dinner Lady

And yesterday I read:

Geronimo Stilton and Thea Stilton - De 13 Zwaarden 1: De Spiegel der Duisternis (Il Segreto del Draco) (it was nice to read this first book in a new series)

I bought books at the library sale. It was the "Night of the Library" (Nacht van de Bibliotheek) here recently. They did slightly overcharge me (I didn't find out until I got home), but the library can use it so it's okay. I'm very happy with all the books :D! A lot of the children's horror books I have already read, but now I own a copy. I also have already read 2 out of 3 Francine Oomen books (I really thought I had read the whole HOI series, but it turns out, I didn't read book 9 yet! I'm so looking forward to reading that), and I've read all of the Stiltons, but now I own my own copies of these books.

Tess Gerritsen - Incendio (Dutch)

Dan Simmons - Flashback

Thea Beckman - De Verloren Schat

Gerda van Wageningen - Spiegelserie 2: Tante Tara

Gerda van Wageningen - Spiegelserie 3: Lieve Kinderen

Jan de Zander - Voor Een Halve Zak Drop

Hans Hagen - Rec.Play

Mecka Lind - Soms Is De Wereld Van Mij: Het Verhaal Van Een Zwerfjongere (Sanne Gatubarn)

Jacques Vriens - Eindelijk Aktie

Anke de Vries - Memo Zwijgt

Luc Descamps - Verkeerd Moment, Verkeerde Plaats

Gary Paulsen - Overleven in de Wildernis 3: De Rivier (Brian's Saga 3: The River)

Jonathan Tropper - Leven Na Hailey (How to Talk to a Widower)

Jonathan Tropper - Het Boek van Joe (The Book of Joe)

Els de Groen - Waar is Hamid?

Renny Hofstra - Dat Kán Toch Niet!

Renny Hofstra - Wat Heb Jij Nou?

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 1: Hoe Overleef Ik Mijn Vakantie?

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 6: Hoe Overleef Ik Een Gebroken Hart?

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 9: Hoe Overleef Ik (Zonder) Liefde?

Mirjam Mous - Moordmeiden

Jaclyn Moriarty - Ashbury / Brookfield 2: 3 Meiden & De Liefde (Finding Cassie Crazy)

Kerstin Gier - De Moedermaffia 1: Wespennest (Die Mütter-Maffia 1: Die Mütter-Mafia)

Kersten Gier - De Moedermaffia 3: Stiletto (Gegensätze Ziehen Sich Aus)

Lemony Snicket - Ellendige Avonturen 1: Het Bittere Begin (A Series of Unfortunate Events 1: The Bad Beginning)

Lemony Snicket - Ellendige Avonturen 2: De Slangenserre (A Series of Unfortunate Events 2: The Reptile Room)

Lemony Snicket - Ellendige Avonturen 5: De Krabbige Kostschool (A Series of Unfortunate Events 5: The Austere Academy)

Lemony Snicket - Ellendige Avonturen 6: De Loze Lift (A Series of Unfortunate Events 6: The Ersatz Elevator)

Lemony Snicket - Ellendige Avonturen 7: Het Doodenge Dorp (A Series of Unfortunate Events 7: The Vile Village)

Geronimo Stilton - Superhelden 2: De Invasie Van De Megamonsters (Supereroi 2: L'Invasione dei Mostri Giganti)

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 7: Fantasia VII (Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia 7: Settimo Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 8: Schipbreuk In De Ruimte - (I Naufraghi Delle Stelle)

Thea Stilton - Prinsessen van Fantasia 1: De Ijsprinses (Principessa Dei Ghiacci)

Thea Stilton - Prinsessen van Fantasia 2: De Koraalprinses (Principessa Dei Coralli)

David Patneaude - Gemiste Beelden (Someone was watching)

R. L. Stine - Kippenvel: Koppensnellers! (Goosebumps: How I Got My Shrunken Head)

R. L. Stine - Kippenvel: De Rol Van Je Leven (Goosebumps: Phantom of the Auditorium)

R. L. Stine - Kippenvel Junior: Een Buitenaards Drankje (Goosebumps: Brain Juice)

R. L. Stine - Kippenvel Junior: Vertrouw Nooit Een Heks (Goosebumps: Be Careful What You Wish For)

R. L. Stine - Kippenvel Junior: Een Vampier Wordt Wakker (Goosebumps: Vampire Breath)

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje: Het Nachtmerrieneefje

Paul van Loon - Gevaarlijke Tijden voor Katten

Paul van Loon - Familie Rip 2: Jimi's Hit (the same book was later retitled as "Altijd Bijten de Buren")

Paul van Loon - Griezelbeelden

Paul van Loon and Bies van Ede - De Griezeltoer

Bies van Ede - De Tovenaar van Bakenes

Bies van Ede - Behekste Bomen

Bies van Ede - Achter Donkere Ramen 2: De Man Met De Staak

Eddy C. Bertin - Valentina 5: Duivelse Dromen

Tais Teng - Prooien van de Zielzuiger

Tais Teng - De Wortels van het Woud

Tais Teng - Voorbij de Zerken

Ton van Reen - Het Meisje Zonder Spiegelbeeld

Ton van Reen - Een Vriendin Voor Dag En Nacht

Ton van Reen - Huiveringwekkende Wezens 2: Bloedbroeders

Annette Curtis Klause - Horror Time 5: Bloed En Chocolade (Blood and Chocolate)

Het Griezelgenootschap - Je Eigen Griezelverhaal 2: Nieuw Bloed

Het Griezelgenootschap - Duisterlingen 3: Gezicht Van De Nacht

Het Griezelgenootschap - Duisterlingen 4: Het Hart Van De Duisternis

Het Griezelgenootschap - Griezellig 2: Griezellige Beesten

Het Griezelgenootschap - Griezellig 3: Griezellige Vertellingen

Het Griezelgenootschap - Griezellig 7: Griezellige Gasten

Het Griezelgenootschap - Griezellig 9: Griezellige Zeeverhalen

Ian Strachan / Tessa Krailing / Garry Kilworth - Griezelfestival: Deltas Mystery 4-6: Het Geborduurde Geheim, De Wraak Van De Raaf, Het Geheim Van De Regengeest (Picking Up The Threads, The Nightmare Man, The Rain Ghost)

Leny van Grootel, Paul Biegel, Anne Takens, Thijs Goverde, Mieke van Hooft, Diet Verschoor, Marianne Witte, Henk Hardeman, Wilma Geldof, Gerard Delft, Bobje Goudsmit, Petra Cremers, Hans Andreus, Else van Erkel - Monsters & Griezels

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Spines_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers1_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers2_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers3_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers4_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers5_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers6_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers7_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers8_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers9_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers10_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers11_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers12_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers13_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers14_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-06-11_Covers15_0.25.jpg

And just because it was fun, I made one pile of the books. They reach until my shoulders (keep in mind that I'm short, I'm 163 cm, or 5' 4". But still :D).

LeaningPileofBooks3_0.1000height.jpg

I love the tall book pile ! That`s so much fun !!  :giggle2:   Enjoy your books. :)

x

Thanks, Sarah :D! Yeah I was looking at the 3 piles, and I thought, how tall would they be stacked on top of each other :D. Of course, on the first attempt the pile fell over before all the books were on it :P. But then the second attempt worked!

What a huge haul :D I hope you enjoy your new books. Have you read the Lemony Snicket ones before or are you new to the series?

x

Thanks, Frankie :D. I've read books 2, 3 and 4 and I liked them, though I did feel they'd be better suited to read a bit further apart as some story elements were repetitive when you read several in a row. I really liked the writing style though, and the humour. I now own books 1 - 7 minus book 3, a pretty lucky find. I can finally read the first book now (the library never seemed to have it available). I did see the film which I liked and it's what's made me start reading the books.

Terribly enough, I pre-ordered video games yesterday (Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon, for my boyfriend and me, out in November), and because you get free shipping if you spend over a certain amount of money, I decided to add some books to it (oh, and Death in Paradise season 5, because I couldn't resist, since this comes out in a few days here.). I don't normally pre-order stuff so far from now, but I'm quite excited about the games (and the DVD, and the books).

Jojo Moyes - Me Before You 2: After You (pre-ordered, this edition comes out 30-06-2016)

Morgan Matson - The Unexpected Everything (I couldn't believe there was already a medium sized paperback of this book, the hardcover has just been released!

Jenny Han - The Summer I Turned Pretty 1-3: Omnibus (The Summer I Turned Pretty, It's Not Summer Without You, We'll Always Have Summer) (I liked another book by this author that I borrowed from the library, and when I saw this omnibus for just a little bit more than the price of a regular book, I couldn't resist.

Blake Charlton - Spellwright 3: Spellbreaker (pre-ordered, this comes out 16-06-2016, today. I couldn't believe it when I saw it! I've been waiting for 5 years for the final book in this trilogy. And what luck that when I browsed the website, yesterday, upon random browsing I found out it would be released today! I'm so excited. I read and loved the first book, but when I bought the second book in 2011, I waited with it because of cliffhangers (you usually have cliffhangers in the second book of a trilogy). Now I'll be able to read the second and third book. I think I'll be re-reading book 1 first though, to refamiliarise myself with it).

Thanks, Frankie :D. I've read books 2, 3 and 4 and I liked them, though I did feel they'd be better suited to read a bit further apart as some story elements were repetitive when you read several in a row. I really liked the writing style though, and the humour. I now own books 1 - 7 minus book 3, a pretty lucky find. I can finally read the first book now (the library never seemed to have it available). I did see the film which I liked and it's what's made me start reading the books.

Yes I can imagine the books getting repetitive. But the writing style and the humor is great as you said :smile2: I read the first two or three books in Finnish and really liked them. However, when I saw the movie (which I loved :wub: ), I got to hear the storyteller's note (the one who first tells us that this will be a story of the children but it's not going to be a pretty story etc.) in English and it was so eloquently put... I now want to read a few of them in English :wub: 

Glad you can now read the first novel in the series! :smile2: 

Yes I can imagine the books getting repetitive. But the writing style and the humor is great as you said :smile2: I read the first two or three books in Finnish and really liked them. However, when I saw the movie (which I loved :wub: ), I got to hear the storyteller's note (the one who first tells us that this will be a story of the children but it's not going to be a pretty story etc.) in English and it was so eloquently put... I now want to read a few of them in English :wub: 

Glad you can now read the first novel in the series! :smile2:

I hope you get to read some of them, in English :). I read book 2 in English, but books 3 and 4 in Dutch. Thanks :)!

I read Francine Oomen (ill. Annet Schaap) - Hoe Overleef Ik... 9: Hoe Overleef Ik (Zonder) Liefde? this morning (while waiting for my package, see below). I liked it a lot, it was good to read this book. I've read all the other books in the series (books 1 - 8 and 10 - 13), so it was good to read this 'missing' one. Of course, I did know how a few of the plot twists would end because I've read the rest of the series, but how they happened, I didn't know. Anyway, I quite enjoyed reading this book.

Two of the books I ordered (see my previous post) have arrived:

2NewBooks_2016-06-16_Spines_0.125.jpg

2NewBooks_2016-06-16_Covers_0.25.jpg

They are quite pretty :). I really love the spine of the omnibus, very unique (you can't see spines when you order a book online). I also love the dogs on the cover of the other book.

I went to the library, where they were selling off leftover books from the 'Night of the Library' book sale. During that night, they kept replenishing the books. I saw some books during the leftover sale, that were also there on the 'Night of the Library' book sale. But the ones I bought I didn't see during the 'Night of the Library' sale, possibly they were added after I left. Anyway, I bought a few books:

Prunella Bat - Milla & Sugar 1: Een Heks En Een Fee (Strega Piú Fata)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 5: De Verborgen Stad (La Città Segreta)

Erin Hunter - Warrior Cats 4: Voor De Storm (Warriors 4: Rising Storm)

Jacques Weijters - Ik Wil Jou!

Eline Terpstra - Tasja en Nanno 2: Helemaal Alleen

Annie van Gansewinkel - Nachtspel

Bies van Ede - Een Hart van Suiker

Peter Jan Rens - Bloedmooi

Lieneke Dijkzeul - Blikschade

Lieneke Dijkzeul - Kortsluiting

Luc Descamps - Angeldust

Renate Dorrestein - De Leesclub

Theo Hoogstraaten - Fiofen 1: De Toren Van De Zeven Verdiepingen

Henning Mankell - Kurt Wallander 10: De Gekwelde Man (Den Orolige Mannen)

A couple of the children's books I've read and liked, but now own my own copy. The rest I haven't read before.

NewBooksLibrarySaleLeftovers_Spines_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleLeftovers_Covers1_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleLeftovers_Covers2_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleLeftovers_Covers3_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleLeftovers_Covers4_0.25.jpg

Oh, and that book I was really excited about (the third one in a trilogy, Blake Charlton - Spellwright 3: Spellbreaker), that I'd been waiting for for 5 years (see an earlier post), according to other websites the release date isn't June 16th, but in August. Maybe the site I bought it from, had it wrong. So now I have to wait until the end of August, I think (seeing as I haven't heard from the website). But, the price of the book went up by a couple of euros on the website I bought the book from, so it was good I pre-ordered it when I did as it saved a few euros. It's generally quite a reliable website, so I have confidence they'll deliver the book when they can.

EDIT: Hmm, I just looked it up and now it just says 'unavailable' for the book (without a price). They might refund me and I'll have to pre-order it when it's up again (possibly costing more). I'm not sure. We'll see what happens. I want the book :P.

My dad asked me to read Barry W. Fitzgerald - Secrets of Superhero Science. He knows the author, and he asked me to write a review about the book (which my dad will post on his blog). So, here's my (preliminary) review, I might edit the review later today as I get feedback from my dad about ie. the length of it.

This book explores how it would be possible to have some superpowers as humans, using science. It looks at several superhero powers and postulates how we could use science, to achieve these superpowers. Examples are Wolverine's super healing, Sue Storm's invisibility and Iron Man's suit. The book consists of 11 chapters, and at the end of all but the first one, the author lists his sources, such as scientific articles and books (in case you want to read more about certain subjects).

The book contains quite a bit of science, but it is explained in such terms that you don't necessarily need to have studied at university, to follow it. I did study at university, and a big part of the knowledge in the book I was taught at university and in high school; it was therefore not completely new to me. Other knowledge (mostly the newer research and the applications of it) was new to me. You don't need to have studied science at university level to understand this book, because the book explains the science to you, in what I think is a nice way.

I quite like the writing style of the book and there is some humour in the book, I liked that a lot. I really like all the references to superheroes, superhero comics and superhero movies. I've seen quite a few of superhero movies and it was very nice to read about things I recognised. Even if you haven't seen a particular film though, the author explains what the superheroes' powers do and often mentions the story of the film. I also liked the illustrations the author uses to clarify scientific ideas and theories. I think you'll like this book if you like superheroes and are interested in science.

I read Morgan Matson - The Unexpected Everything. This wasn't my favourite of her books, but I did really enjoy reading the book. There was one plot twist I saw coming much earlier than it actually happened, but a lot of the other plot twists were more unpredictable. The book was a bit slow in the beginning and took a bit of time to get going (this doesn't always bother me though, it depends on the book and my mood). Despite these two points, I still quite enjoyed reading the book.

With this book, I've now read over 50,000 pages :D (50145 if you want to be exact). And 205 books. Hopefully, in the whole of 2016, I will be able to read just over 100,000 pages and 400 books. I know it may seem like a step down from last year (502 books, 112787 pages), but I'm fine with it. I just want to read what I feel like reading without (hopefully) worrying too much about the exact statistics (who knows what'll happen by the end of the year though, if I'm close to a certain goal I might still try to reach it). I've really been enjoying my reading, and that's what matters.