Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

Hurray for more books !  :smile:

I`m halfway through the Shannara Chronicles, Season 1 on TV.  :D

Hmm. That 10th Little House book is a great find! I can't say much cause I might spoil others. I always remember On the Banks of Plum Creek as my favorite, but The Long Winter is so good too!

Good to know! I'll be sure to let you know what I think :).

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I loved the Little House books when I was younger....I devoured them I seem to remember. I was possibly given one for a present and then more at the library. Glad you are enjoying them :)

It`s not perfect, but I`m enjoying it. :)

That's good :)

Oh I loved the Little House books when I was younger....I devoured them I seem to remember. I was possibly given one for a present and then more at the library. Glad you are enjoying them :)

I'm enjoying them a lot so far. I'm glad you like them too :).

I read Laura Ingalls Wilder - Het Kleine Huis 3: Aan De Rivier (Little House 4: On The Banks Of Plum Creek) and Laura Ingalls Wilder - Het Kleine Huis 4: De Grote Hoeve (Little House 3: Farmer Boy) a few days ago. I'm enjoying this series so far. I'm currently reading book 5, though I haven't been able to read as much in it as I'd like. I find it interesting how the people in the U.S. lived back then.

I'm also still in the middle of Terry Brooks - Original Shannara Trilogy 1: The Sword Of Shannara but I had to put it aside once I borrowed library books because I have to finish them in time. But I do plan on getting back to it at a later time, once I finish my library books and such.

I was given a free online voucher by my mum (she was given it and she gave it to me), where I could choose what I wanted to buy with the points out of their available options. There wasn't much I really liked (ie. they had kitchen appliances and such), but I found these three books. Unfortunately there weren't any books for adults I was interested in, so these are 2 children's books and 1 YA book, all of which I've read from the library. But now I own them! For free :D.

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia III (Terzo Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia)

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia VIII (Ottavo Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia)

Monica Furlong - Duran 1: Heksenkind (Wise Child)

NewBooksGiftIngeSpines.jpg

NewBooksGiftIngeCovers_0.25.jpg

Wow! Your thread is really well thought out; you clearly put a lot of time and effort into it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Little House series as a child. Like Narnia, it was an old friend that I always turned to. I was hooked on the t.v. show as well.

My favorite to this day is Little House in the Big Woods.

Thanks, DTR :)!

I'm glad to hear you really liked the Little House series. I didn't know it existed until I was older and came across BCF, it would have been nice to have read this as a child.

I quite liked Little House In The Big Woods. So far though I'm not sure if I could pick a favourite (but then, I have trouble doing that anyway). I find it interesting to read about how the people lived back then, and I like the writing style.

I was given a free online voucher by my mum (she was given it and she gave it to me), where I could choose what I wanted to buy with the points out of their available options. 

You have a great and a loving Mom :D Well done Mrs Gaia's Mom! :D 

You have a great and a loving Mom :D Well done Mrs Gaia's Mom! :D

Thanks :). I thought it was very sweet of her :D, I was very grateful.

I read Laura Ingalls Wilder - Het Kleine Huis 5: Aan Het Zilvermeer (Little House 5: By The Shores Of Silver Lake). This was a nice and interesting book, though I think I liked it a little bit less than the earlier books in the series. But I'm still enjoying the series. I'm currently reading book 6.

Yesterday I went to the Little Library in the neighbourhood here. I took 3 of my own books with me to put in the 'box', because last time I took a book out but I didn't bring anything (I forgot), so I wanted to make up for it by putting several books back in. I doubted if there would be something nice for me to take home with me, but there was :exc:. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia V (Quinto Viaggio Del Regno Della Fantasia) there. These are pretty expensive books and I've never seen one before in the charity shop for example. I felt so lucky, it brightened up my afternoon.

NewBookMBCover_0.25.jpg

NewBookMBSpine_0.25.jpg

What a lucky find! The Little Free Libraries are great, but are hit or miss. I'm glad you found something you like.

By the Shores of Silver Lake wasn't my favorite Little House book either, but it's still a wonderful series. As a child, we read it to death, so my mom got each of us our own replacement set.

What a lucky find! The Little Free Libraries are great, but are hit or miss. I'm glad you found something you like.

By the Shores of Silver Lake wasn't my favorite Little House book either, but it's still a wonderful series. As a child, we read it to death, so my mom got each of us our own replacement set.

It's so nice you read them when you were young and enjoyed it so much :). Do you still have the replacement set?

How brilliant ! That copy looks in good condition, too.  :smile:

I read Laura Ingalls Wilder - Het Kleine Huis 6: De Lange Winter (Little House 6: The Long Winter). I quite liked this one, I think I'd have to say it's one of my favourite books of the series so far. I've just started to read book 7. I find it a shame I couldn't borrow books 8 and 9 (I do have 10), but they were loaned out at the time. The next time I loan books, I hope 8 and 9 are there. It's quite an interesting series. I just read a part of book 7, that is quite patriotic, that I wasn't so keen on. But otherwise I'm enjoying the book so far. I'm grateful to the library that I can read the books this way. I feel the Dutch translation makes more sense to me than the original English text would have done (and even then there are some Dutch words that are unfamiliar to me).

:D My puppy chewed my childhood set!

It's a shame, but then you can't really blame a puppy :).

I read Laura Ingalls Wilder - Het Kleine Huis 7: De Stad Op De Prairie (Little House 7: Little Town On The Prairie), which was nice. It was nice to read the continuing story of Laura and her family.

I also read Laura Ingalls Wilder - Het Kleine Huis 10: Onderweg (Little House 10: On The Way Home), which I liked a bit less. I didn't like the writing style as much and found the diary contained a bit too many numbers that didn't mean much to me (American units). I did like learning more about Laura Ingalls Wilder, though I wish there had been more information on her in the book. I also liked the photos that were in the book. I will keep my eye out for books 8 and 9 in the series, at the library (unfortunately they weren't there when I went there this weekend).

I read Thea Stilton - Heksen Van Fantasia 7: De Heks Van Al Het Kwaad (Strega Delle Streghe). I finally got to read the last book of this series! It was great to read the final one, and I liked it a lot. It might be my favourite one in the series. There was one plot twist near the end I was really not expecting and that I thought was great.

I also read Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 19: De Jacht Op De Zwarte Tulp (Sulle Tracce Del Tulipano Nero). It was particularly nice to read this one (compared to the others in this series), because this time the characters visited the Netherlands (they visit a different area each book)!

I read Geronimo Stilton - Scrooge: Een Kerstverhaal (Canto Di Natale). I have read the original A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, which I enjoyed. I quite liked this Stilton book, of course I already liked the story but it had nice illustrations too.

I also read Geronimo Stilton - Twintigduizend Mijlen Onder Zee (Ventimila Leghe Sotte I Mari). I haven't read the original book by Jules Verne. I liked this book, but not as much as the one above ^.

I also read Geronimo Stilton - Het Monster Van Frankenstein (Il Mistero Di Frankenstein). I haven't read the original classic but I do know the story. I liked this book, though I was a bit surprised how it ended.

I picked up a couple of books at the library while I was there. Unfortunately they didn't have books 8 and 9 in the Little House series, which is what I was looking for, but they did have some Stiltons so I couldn't resist.

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 6: Het Raadsel Van De Kaaspiramide (Il Mistero Della Piramide Di Formaggio)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 53: De Kristallen Gondel (Il Mistero Della Gondola Di Cristallo)

Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 2: Snottebellenslakkensoep? Heerlijk! (Tutto A Tavola)

Geronimo Stilton - De Roep Van De Wildernis (Il Richiamo Della Foresta)

Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 4 (Viaggio Nel Tempo 4)

NewLibraryLoansSpines_0.5.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers_0.25.jpg

@annabegins: That is so funny about your dog!

@gaia: I do have the replacement set. Sadly, my daughter has zero interest in reading them. Every once in a while, I'll pull one out and have a read. My favorite parts are the sugaring off dance from the Big Woods, and a part from one of the later books that I won't spoil.

@gaia: I do have the replacement set. Sadly, my daughter has zero interest in reading them. Every once in a while, I'll pull one out and have a read. My favorite parts are the sugaring off dance from the Big Woods, and a part from one of the later books that I won't spoil.

It's a shame your daughter has no interest in reading them. The dance was a good part, I liked that. Maybe you can tell me about the other part, once I have read all the books :).

I read some more Stilton books:

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 9: Echte Muzienliefde Is Als Kaas... (L'Amore È Come Il Formaggio...)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 22: De Geheimzinnige Kaasdief (Il Misterioso Ladro Di Formaggi)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 45: Het Hollende Harnas (Lo Strano Caso Del Fantasma Al Grand Hotel)

Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 4: Hoe Vang Je Een Mummie? (Il Ballo Della Mummia Dispettosa)

Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 6: De Stenen Moppentapper (Dinosauro Che Dorme Non Piglia Topi!)

All of which I enjoyed reading.

I also read Chris Riddell - Goth Girl 3: Goth Girl And The Wuthering Fright. I really liked book 1 in this series, but was less keen on book 2. I also wasn't very keen on this one. It's a bit similar to book 2 and I guess it's just not quite my thing. I did like the illustrations and some parts of the story.

I read David Walliams - Grandpa's Great Escape. I quite enjoyed reading this book. When Noll wrote her review of it earlier this year, she said it was a lot like Roald Dahl's books, and I'd have to say I agree with that. I quite like most of Roald Dahl's children's books, and I enjoyed reading Grandpa's Great Escape. Grandpa was such a nice character, I really felt for him. The story is silly, quite silly, but I knew this beforehand so I was expecting it. It's similar in sillyness as some other books I've read by David Walliams. Anyway, I quite enjoyed reading this book. There was quite a bit of humour in the book and I thought the book contained a nice message. I will say I wasn't overly fond on something that happens right at the end (say, the last few pages). Other than those last few pages though, I quite liked the ending.

I just found out the library doesn't have book 8 of the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder :(. It is listed with information about the book, but no loaning information (something probably happened to it that they don't have a copy of it anymore). I did however reserve book 9, which is available now, so hopefully I can pick it up soon.

I just found out the library doesn't have book 8 of the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder :(. It is listed with information about the book, but no loaning information (something probably happened to it that they don't have a copy of it anymore). I did however reserve book 9, which is available now, so hopefully I can pick it up soon.

Can`t your Library request it from another Library for you ? :(

You should go and ask about the book. Maybe it's gone missing, but it's been forgotten and no one's looking for it, actively. It might spark up a new 'inquest'! I hope it turns out somewhere and you get to read the book! 

Edit: You could also ask if they could order a new copy of the book! :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

Can`t your Library request it from another Library for you ? :(

I would've thought so, but it appears the neighbouring libraries don't have it either. I don't know about further away libraries. There is no information about it on the website.

You should go and ask about the book. Maybe it's gone missing, but it's been forgotten and no one's looking for it, actively. It might spark up a new 'inquest'! I hope it turns out somewhere and you get to read the book! 

Edit: You could also ask if they could order a new copy of the book! :smile2:

I think I will go and ask about it the next time I go there, if there isn't too much of a queue :).

I read:

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 6: Het Raadsel Van De Kaaspiramide (Il Mistero Della Piramide Di Formaggio)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 53: De Kristallen Gondel (Il Mistero Della Gondola Di Cristallo)

Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 2: Snottebellenslakkensoep? Heerlijk! (Tutti A Tavola)

and I enjoyed all of them.

I also read the retelling of The Call of the Wild by Jack London: Geronimo Stilton - De Roep Van De Wildernis (Il Richiamo Della Foresta). I liked it allright but what I didn't like was the way some of the people treated the dogs. I believe it was someone else on here (Chaliepud?) who mentioned this too, and I agree with it. I think it was toned down a bit for the children's retelling, though I'm not sure. But I still didn't like the way the dogs were treated sometimes. That was my main complaint with the story. I did like the illustrations of the dogs though.

I also read the retelling of The Call of the Wild by Jack London: Geronimo Stilton - De Roep Van De Wildernis (Il Richiamo Della Foresta). I liked it allright but what I didn't like was the way some of the people treated the dogs. I believe it was someone else on here (Chaliepud?) who mentioned this too, and I agree with it. I think it was toned down a bit for the children's retelling, though I'm not sure. But I still didn't like the way the dogs were treated sometimes. That was my main complaint with the story. I did like the illustrations of the dogs though.

Yep, that was me, well remembered! I too didn't like the way the wolves were treated or the way they were depicted, I've read a bit on wolf packs and how they behave, and even met a few, and the book wasn't true to what I have learnt. I'd like to say they are better treated these days but they are still misunderstood and I hear terrible stories from around the world. :(

Yep, that was me, well remembered! I too didn't like the way the wolves were treated or the way they were depicted, I've read a bit on wolf packs and how they behave, and even met a few, and the book wasn't true to what I have learnt. I'd like to say they are better treated these days but they are still misunderstood and I hear terrible stories from around the world. :(

It's a shame the book wasn't true to what you learnt. Awww, that's so sad to hear :(.

It's a shame the book wasn't true to what you learnt. Awww, that's so sad to hear :(.

It is, they are beautiful creatures, man has messed so much with their habitats they sometimes have to enter farmland and take stock in order to survive, then the farmers shoot them and sometimes their whole pack, shocking. :(

It is, they are beautiful creatures, man has messed so much with their habitats they sometimes have to enter farmland and take stock in order to survive, then the farmers shoot them and sometimes their whole pack, shocking. :(

That's quite sad :(.

EDIT: Rather than making a new post, I'll just edit this one. I read Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 4 (Viaggio Nel Tempo 4). This one didn't contain as much historical information as some of the other ones in this series, but I did quite like the addition of Rob-O's character. I enjoyed reading this book.

Edited by Athena

I read Terry Brooks - Original Shannara Trilogy 1: The Sword of Shannara. It took me a while to read this book, I started it a few weeks ago. I put it down when I loaned library books, because those had to be finished first. I have this book in a big omnibus edition, and it didn't make for the most comfortable reading. The omnibus is heavy and hard to hold, so I couldn't read it like I normally read my small and medium sized paperbacks, and also most library books. The pages are huge, and I felt that one page in this book was several pages of some children's books (in terms of how many words were on the page). The story was enjoyable to read, but I am glad I put it down to read something different, I think I needed that. The story was a bit slow paced at times, and this annoyed me, it dragged sometimes. I also found the story had a few too many similarities with The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (I've seen the movies but not read the books yet). I liked most of the plot twists. There was one I saw coming, but a lot of others were unexpected for me. Overall I have to say I enjoyed most of the book but I also found it dragged and at some point I just wanted it to be over. I was pretty pleased with the fact that the book didn't end on a huge cliffhanger or anything. I was hoping it wouldn't, but you never know as quite a few first books in series, in general, end on cliffhangers. I won't be reading the second book in the series any time soon as I like to read some books of other genres now (I need to mix it up or it becomes too samey, author burnout and all that), but I do plan on reading it (as well as the other Terry Brooks books I own) ( :giggle2:).