Chaliepud's Reading in 2015.

chaliepud

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Diane, I'm looking forward to it.

Not much time to read at the moment, but LOVING 'We Never Asked For Wings' by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, I just wish she was a more prolific writer! :)

I managed to stop by Waterstones and got chatting to who I think may have been an area manager, so nice to talk to another book lover, in person, no offence BCF friends. :)

I was buying the latest Sebastian Faulks, Where My Heart Used to Beat. We both agreed that Faulks can be a little hit and miss and of course I didn't miss an opportunity to recommend my favourite book of all time, Human Traces (have you read it yet frankie?) :D

He then recommended Gorsky by Vesna Godsworthy, a book I hadn't come across, with quite an uninspiring cover, so I thought I'd give that a go, it's not a hefty tome so will read it between two longer reads maybe. Then of course I realised it was on the buy one get another half price deal! So he recommended The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters which I've also seen recommended on here I believe? So, I got that too! Plus, I now have enough stamps on my loyalty card to pay towards the new Ransom Riggs which is due out next week!

Happy days! :) :)

On sadder news though, I'm really disappointed that my eldest has decided that he does not want to do A Level English Lit now, he got an A at GCSE when he was lucky enough to study Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm. This year however there appears to be a female theme, and not only that but from what I can tell they are not happy female books, a Streetcar Named Desire, Wuthering Heights and A Thousand Splendid Sons. Whilst I loved ATSS and think that would be a wonderful book to study, I can understand his reasoning. He's going to do Business instead which will complement the Economics he is already doing, along with Law and PE.

It's a stressful time but luckily he is very laid back about it all.. Maybe just a little too laid back though! :D

Not too much reading being done at the moment as life is so busy for various reasons, good but busy. I did manage a bit of book buying yesterday, courtesy of the £20 book voucher I won on the photo competition here on BCF. (BTW I keep seeing a car locally with BCF on its numberplate!) 

The forum has the best prizes! :smile2: And how cool to see a car with BCF on its number plate :D   I dare you to stalk the driver and take a picture. Of the number plate, that is :D I saw a number plate with 'wuf' on it the other day :D 

I was buying the latest Sebastian Faulks, Where My Heart Used to Beat. We both agreed that Faulks can be a little hit and miss and of course I didn't miss an opportunity to recommend my favourite book of all time, Human Traces (have you read it yet frankie?) :D

:lol: Um, not yet, not quite... :blush: When I move to Helsinki I won't be able to reserve as many novels from the library as I've been doing this past year (because they charge money for it, unlike in Espoo), so I'll be concentrating on my TBR. I'll have a whole new bookcase to organize my books in, I think it might actually be too big for my books, and so maybe I could use one of the sections to put the books I'm to read the soonest in. Maybe HT ought to go in that section...  :lurker:  :giggle2: 

He then recommended Gorsky by Vesna Godsworthy, a book I hadn't come across, with quite an uninspiring cover, so I thought I'd give that a go, it's not a hefty tome so will read it between two longer reads maybe. Then of course I realised it was on the buy one get another half price deal! So he recommended The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters which I've also seen recommended on here I believe? So, I got that too! Plus, I now have enough stamps on my loyalty card to pay towards the new Ransom Riggs which is due out next week!

Ooh, sweet deal! :lol: I don't remember who have read that particular Waters novel, but I expect it to be very good :yes: 

Yay for getting enough stamps, too! :D It's a vicious awesome cycle, this book buying, stamp and voucher receiving cycle, innit? :D 

On sadder news though, I'm really disappointed that my eldest has decided that he does not want to do A Level English Lit now, he got an A at GCSE when he was lucky enough to study Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm. This year however there appears to be a female theme, and not only that but from what I can tell they are not happy female books, a Streetcar Named Desire, Wuthering Heights and A Thousand Splendid Sons. Whilst I loved ATSS and think that would be a wonderful book to study, I can understand his reasoning. He's going to do Business instead which will complement the Economics he is already doing, along with Law and PE.

It's a stressful time but luckily he is very laid back about it all.. Maybe just a little too laid back though! 

I've not read the other novels, but I really struggled with Wuthering Heights so I can't really blame your son! He seems to have a clear idea of what he will be doing instead, so that's good, and all in all seems to have everything under control? I think you'e raised a great bunch of kids with Steve :yes: 

Happy days! :) :)

I had a full loyalty card too! I used my £10 off to buy a gorgeous art book which was a bit expensive, and it was signed to boot. :D

It's a stressful time but luckily he is very laid back about it all.. Maybe just a little too laid back though! :D

That's a shame, but if he'd taken the course and studied books he didn't enjoy, it might have put him off reading, and at least now, he'll still be able to read for fun. :)

The forum has the best prizes! And how cool to see a car with BCF on its number plate   I dare you to stalk the driver and take a picture. Of the number plate, that is I saw a number plate with 'wuf' on it the other day

Um, not yet, not quite... When I move to Helsinki I won't be able to reserve as many novels from the library as I've been doing this past year (because they charge money for it, unlike in Espoo), so I'll be concentrating on my TBR. I'll have a whole new bookcase to organize my books in, I think it might actually be too big for my books, and so maybe I could use one of the sections to put the books I'm to read the soonest in. Maybe HT ought to go in that section...    

Ooh, sweet deal!  I don't remember who have read that particular Waters novel, but I expect it to be very good 

Yay for getting enough stamps, too! It's a vicious awesome cycle, this book buying, stamp and voucher receiving cycle, innit?

I've not read the other novels, but I really struggled with Wuthering Heights so I can't really blame your son! He seems to have a clear idea of what he will be doing instead, so that's good, and all in all seems to have everything under control? I think you'e raised a great bunch of kids with Steve

I'll have to see if I can get a pic next time I see it, it's in the multi-storey car park but on the residents floor so shouldn't be too hard. :)

Ah, no pressure for you to read Human Traces, we need to read books when we feel ready for them, that's the reason I left the local book club, I was rarely in the mood for the books that were picked and just craved reading one of my own.  :P  :readingtwo: Enjoy your new bookcase, my kids couldn't believe how excited I was while waiting for my new one to be delivered! :D

I've looked on Goodreads and it was Kay who read The Paying Guests, and gave it 4 stars too, so hopefully I will enjoy it too.  :readingtwo:

I had a full loyalty card too! I used my £10 off to buy a gorgeous art book which was a bit expensive, and it was signed to boot. :D

That's a shame, but if he'd taken the course and studied books he didn't enjoy, it might have put him off reading, and at least now, he'll still be able to read for fun. 

I've just realised that the new Jojo Moyes, After You, the follow up to Me Before You, is also out this week so I may have to add a little to the tokens, but hey ho, it's my only addiction. (Plus I gave up wine and sugar 3 weeks ago so I can say it's the money I have saved not buying wine!) I need to go to town on Thursday anyway as the boys new Fifa game for the PS4 is released that day and they can't possibly wait a single day longer! :D

Charlie is very happy with his decision and has his first Business class tomorrow morning, I think it is a subject that will really suit him and I can imagine that being the direction he may take after A Levels, he just needs to put in loads of effort as 4 AS levels is no mean feat when you are naturally a little lazy, enthusiastic, but lazy! :D

I had a rather stressful week last week (I'm not that easily stressed as a rule), Obi isn't in the best of health so have had a couple of visits to the vest, the prognosis isn't great but at least he is more comfortable and happier for now, so he is getting lots of love and TLC. Jojo hurt her foot, luckily just a gash between her pads which will heal, but will the little madam take it easy to let it heal, of course not  :o  :P

A new washing machine was supposed to be delivered on Wednesday so I duly waited in for the entire four hour slot.. nothing! Called them and they said they had come and I must not have been there/heard them. They had a picture of my front door apparently to prove they had been..no, they proved I had a front door!  :banghead:  I asked to see the photo and suddenly they were unable to call it up on the computer, I wanted to see if my car was in the pic as that would have proved they had come too early. They left no calling card and didn't call before arrival as they were supposed to, all completely rubbish! It's coming tomorrow now so joy of joys I have another 4 hours stuck at home! On the funny side though, while I was on the phone to customer services I did ask one of the kids to sneak around the front to ring the doorbell so they could demonstrate why we never miss somebody at the door, and it is rare anyone gets to the front door without the dogs noticing as we have a gravel driveway! :D

AND, AND, I broke a tooth! Thankfully not painful but of course another thing that needs dealing with! :(

Anyway, I refuse to be stressy this week, lots to do but also lots to enjoy, Robbie has a school football tournament Wednesday and is doing trials to play for the borough on Friday, busy sorting out Maddie's Dof E options so she is looking forward to Zumba and snowboarding! :)

Edited by chaliepud

That 'delivery' definitely sounds suss.  :/

Sorry to hear about your tooth, too.  I'm glad it's not painful.

I've read a couple of Faulks books, but not Human Traces. I don't actually know what it's about!  *Toddles off to Google*

Which ones have you read Janet? Human Traces was amazing but I don't actually know anyone else who has read it so I have no idea what you might think of it, I do have a spare copy if you fancy trying it.. I tend to pick up the odd copy in charity shops in case I find a willing victim participant! :)

Which ones have you read Janet? Human Traces was amazing but I don't actually know anyone else who has read it so I have no idea what you might think of it, I do have a spare copy if you fancy trying it.. I tend to pick up the odd copy in charity shops in case I find a willing victim participant! :)

LOL @ victim!  Thanks - that's a very kind offer but having looked at the 'blurb' I'm not sure I really fancy it.  Sorry.   :lurker:   I do appreciate the offer though.  :hug:

LOL @ victim!  Thanks - that's a very kind offer but having looked at the 'blurb' I'm not sure I really fancy it.  Sorry.   :lurker:   I do appreciate the offer though.  :hug:

No problem Janet, I think its theme will probably be only suited to a minority, I have always been interested in psychology and the history of WWI and WWII so it could have been written just for me! :)

Hmm - well when you put it like that it sounds like it ought to be my type of thing!  I like reading books set in WW1 (haven't read any specifically set in WW2 that I can think of) and I did psychology GCSE in 2003/04 and the AS level in 2004/05.  Maybe one day I might give it a go.  :)  Thanks again.

Hmm - well when you put it like that it sounds like it ought to be my type of thing!  I like reading books set in WW1 (haven't read any specifically set in WW2 that I can think of) and I did psychology GCSE in 2003/04 and the AS level in 2004/05.  Maybe one day I might give it a go.  :)  Thanks again.

Well, if you do, check with me first as I may well still have a spare copy! :)

Why is September such a good month for book releases? A trip to Waterstone's today for Ransom Riggs third (and final?) book in the Miss Peregrine trilogy, Library of Souls and After You by Jojo Moyes, the follow up to her highly successful Me Before You. :)

I'm currently reading the latest Sebastian Faulks but I'm DESPERATE to get to these two! :jump:

Yep, got them! :) :)

I've read 5 Jojo Moyes so far, and would recommend them in the following order..

Me Before You 5/5

The Girl You Left Behind 5/5

The Last Letter From Your Lover 4/5

Silver Bay 4/5

The One Plus One 2.5/5

I still have these on my TBR shelf..

Sheltering Rain

The Horse Dancer

The Ship of Brides

And of course After You, which I will almost certainly read in the next few weeks. :)

Which ones do you have? :)

Good to know, thanks :)!

I have these:

Me Before You

The Girl You Left Behind

The Last Letter From Your Lover

Silver Bay

The One Plus One

Paris for One

So just the five you've read plus one other :giggle2:. Sounds like I should start with Me Before You :). That's also the first one I bought. It's a shame you didn't like The One Plus One so much compared with the other four you read.

I think if you look at her reviews, Me Before You was definitely the best received. After You is the sequel (or the next in the series, who knows!) but I can't believe it can come close to Me Before You. How funny that you have all the ones I've read, I believe Paris For One is a short read? I must look it up. :)

Ah that's good to know. Yes, if I like Me Before You I'll happily look into the sequel. Paris for One is part of the QuickReads series, so yes it is a pretty short read. It has 96 pages but a huge font. I've enjoyed other QuickReads though so I thought I'd give this one a go. I'll be reading it for the next 'normal' read-a-thon I participate in (not-Halloween themed) I think.

I was just tweeting the other day about how I should read more Sebastian Faulks. Perhaps I should have a look at getting to Human Traces next... :P

I find him very hit and miss Ben, have loved some and with others I couldn't even finish, Charlotte Gray is a great example, I have tried so many times to read it as everything about it appeals to me, except I can only ever get 100 pages or so into it before I just can't read any more. Maybe I should try the film adaptation.. ;) 

I am enjoying his latest book, Where My Heart Used To Beat, but I really need more time to dedicate to it as I find his writing quite deep and thoughtful so I can't read it as quick as I can other books. Sometimes he really seems to speak to me personally, I had a horrid personal experience on Friday that I am trying to forget and then I read this paragraph..

I went down the steps to the calanque to clear my thoughts. I do like the metaphors we give to things. How do you 'clear' your thoughts? You only have other thoughts with which to do the job;'thoughts', therefore are blockage and broom. I suppose what we mean is that we should stop reasoning and try to 'feel' - which presumes that what we 'feel' is more valuable than anything we think...

Thanks Gaia, I am ok, I just feel odd and I feel the need to do something productive, I just haven't decided what yet! I think seeing someones life cut off too early makes me want to do something to make sense of it and to make sure I make the most of my time in this world. 

That paragraph came along at just the right time, it makes complete sense to me so I am going to keep it somewhere close by to remember. 

Four new books to add to the TBR. I gave up sugar and alcohol a month or so ago, I think there may be a direct correlation between that and buying more books! :D

Everything, Everything - Nicola Yoon

The Next Together - Lauren James

Little Beach Street Bakery - Jenny Colgan

Mist - Mary Fitzgerald

I really must stop now and get on with reading rather than browsing! :)