Chaliepud's Reading in 2015.

chaliepud

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks frankie! At the moment the rosettes and trophies are in front of the books, the shelves look great but it would help if I spent more time reading books than buying them!

Yeah, I think it's too late to say that, what with the buying binge you went just recently... :D Epic! Oh how much fun is it thought to treat oneself a little, though :)

You really must have a go at Human Traces soon, the psychology aspect could really grab you, and if it doesn't, you can forget it and donate to someone with more taste! :D;):D

:D Yeah, someone with more  and better taste :drama::lol:

Edit: Okay, I'll go and find my copy, I know where it is but I'll put it in a more visible place. I know it's on the shelf with other BCF recommendations, but unfortunately it's been in the back as John Boyne's books are in the front. Doesn't help that one shelf has three rows of books... Very hard to get to the ones at the back!!

Making no promises though, I have about 30 library loans :blush::D

Edited by frankie

Yeah, I think it's too late to say that, what with the buying binge you went just recently... :D Epic! Oh how much fun is it thought to treat oneself a little, though :)

:D Yeah, someone with more  and better taste :drama::lol:

Edit: Okay, I'll go and find my copy, I know where it is but I'll put it in a more visible place. I know it's on the shelf with other BCF recommendations, but unfortunately it's been in the back as John Boyne's books are in the front. Doesn't help that one shelf has three rows of books... Very hard to get to the ones at the back!!

Making no promises though, I have about 30 library loans :blush::D

Oh it's a wonderful treat and a financially viable one at that! :D

You have great taste, that's why I'm hoping that you'll love it like I do.. Did I mention that I set a timer on it to spontaneously combust New Year's Eve 2015.. better be quick!  :P  :giggle2:

You have great taste, that's why I'm hoping that you'll love it like I do.. Did I mention that I set a timer on it to spontaneously combust New Year's Eve 2015.. better be quick!  :P  :giggle2:

No you most definitely didn't, you clever fox!! :o:lol: I'd better get a move on, innit? :D 

• 2 weeks later...

How far along are you with "All The Light We Cannot See"? I am waiting for your review.

About two thirds of the way through (third diamond part) . It's picking up more for me now but still not keen on the very short chapters. Hope to finish in the next couple of days, will attempt a short review!

All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

Goodreads synopsis - Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When Marie-Laure is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris, and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.

Well, I finished it but I have to say, disappointingly, I wasn't overly impressed. The book is written in very short chapter form, sometimes just a page, switching between 2 main characters, and occasionally another, and this bothered me greatly as I felt I wasn't able to get into either one of their stories properly. The book was interesting and the writing was great and at moments I found myself loving it but then it would go downhill again and at times I found the story dull and offering nothing new to the WWII angle. I did like the Marie Laure, Papa, Etienne side of the story and those characters were probably the only thing that kept me going. The Werner angle was, whilst believable, uninteresting and dragged on and became repetitive. The fact that it took me two weeks to read speaks for itself, I may not be the fastest reader but generally a good book will have me reading at every opportunity thus speeding up the process.

6/10

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it that much. Mixed reviews of that book around the place, it seems! The short chapter thing actually makes me more likely to read it, as I don't like long chapters at all. Might get to it soon.

Hope you enjoy your next read more!

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it that much. Mixed reviews of that book around the place, it seems! The short chapter thing actually makes me more likely to read it, as I don't like long chapters at all. Might get to it soon.

Hope you enjoy your next read more!

Is it on your TBR Noll? I'd be interested to hear what others on here think, Muggles liked it and the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads are overwhelmingly in favour of it. Gorgeous cover though, so I may keep it just on that basis. (I only normally keep my favourite reads). :)

Oh dear, a few more books purchased. Oh well, the new bookcase arrives on Saturday so at least I will have somewhere to put them!  :giggle:

The Dandelion Years - Erica James

The Captain's Daughter - Leah Fleming

Coastliners - Joanne Harris

Second Hand Heart - Catherine Ryan Hyde

After the Fall - Charity Norman

Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne Du Maurier

The House on the Strand - Daphne Du Maurier

The Cornish House - Liz Fenwick

:readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:

Am going on holiday in two weeks, need to start deciding how many books to take and more importantly, which ones!! (Other half has nicked my kobo so will have to be tree books! :) 

I hope you enjoy your new books :D! I have read a few books by Erica James and I liked those. I don't yet have The Dandelion Years (it's on my wishlist). I have Second Hand Heart on my TBR, as well as After the Fall. I've liked Runemarks by Joanna Harris, I hadn't heard of Coastliners. I hope they are all good :readingtwo:!!

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne Du Maurier

Am going on holiday in two weeks, need to start deciding how many books to take and more importantly, which ones!! (Other half has nicked my kobo so will have to be tree books! :)

My Cousin Rachel is really great! :smile2: Highly recommended :) Where are you going on your holidays (if that's not too nosey a question)? :)

I hope you enjoy your new books :D! I have read a few books by Erica James and I liked those. I don't yet have The Dandelion Years (it's on my wishlist). I have Second Hand Heart on my TBR, as well as After the Fall. I've liked Runemarks by Joanna Harris, I hadn't heard of Coastliners. I hope they are all good :readingtwo:!!

I enjoyed Summer at the Lake by Erica James so I am optimistic about The Dandelion Years, not least because the storyline involves a book restorer and flashbacks to WWII! Looks like we have a few books in common, hopefully I'll get to them in the not too distant future and we can compare notes. :)

My Cousin Rachel is really great! :smile2: Highly recommended :) Where are you going on your holidays (if that's not too nosey a question)? :)

I lived Rebecca and Jamaica Inn so I have high hopes for MCR!

We are going on a cruise in the Mediterranean, starting in Barcelona and heading through Mallorca, Marselles and three stops in Italy. We did the same trip three years ago and can't wait to revisit and try some new things. :)

I lived Rebecca and Jamaica Inn so I have high hopes for MCR!

Cool beans! I don't think you will be disappointed :smile2:

We are going on a cruise in the Mediterranean, starting in Barcelona and heading through Mallorca, Marselles and three stops in Italy. We did the same trip three years ago and can't wait to revisit and try some new things. :)

Wow, that sounds simply amazing :wub: I bet you can't wait!! :)

Cool beans! I don't think you will be disappointed :smile2:

Wow, that sounds simply amazing :wub: I bet you can't wait!! :)

I really can't.. A whole week of no cleaning or cooking, guaranteed sunshine and seeing some lovely sights! Maybe I should take MCR with me.. I'll pop it on the shortlist now. :)

I really can't.. A whole week of no cleaning or cooking, guaranteed sunshine and seeing some lovely sights! Maybe I should take MCR with me.. I'll pop it on the shortlist now. :)

Yep, no chores! :D That's always a bonus... :giggle2:

Cool, I just read what the NY Times had to say about My Cousin Rachel..

'From the first page...the reader is back in the moody, brooding atmosphere of Rebecca'.

Can't be bad then! :)

I can vouch for the moody, brooding atmosphere! :) If you don't mint that sort of thing on a holiday, it can make a really good book to take with :yes:

I can vouch for the moody, brooding atmosphere! :) If you don't mint that sort of thing on a holiday, it can make a really good book to take with :yes:

I'm a big fan of moody and brooding! :)

Edited by chaliepud

I enjoyed Summer at the Lake by Erica James so I am optimistic about The Dandelion Years, not least because the storyline involves a book restorer and flashbacks to WWII! Looks like we have a few books in common, hopefully I'll get to them in the not too distant future and we can compare notes. :)

I haven't got Summer at the Lake yet, but I'm glad to hear you liked it :). I shall have to purchase it some day or another. Sounds good :)!